Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Zhang, Lei)
Series handle: repec:eee:wdevel
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple (last 10 years), Recursive (10), Discounted (10), Recursive discounted (10), H-Index (10), Aggregate (10)
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
1996, Volume 24, Issue 10
- 1673-1680 Electoral price cycles in regulated industries
by Paiva, Claudio A. C.
1996, Volume 24, Issue 9
- 1393-1394 Editor's preface
by Brinkerhoff, Derick W.
- 1395-1401 Process perspectives on policy change: Highlighting implementation
by Brinkerhoff, Derick W.
- 1403-1415 Policy implementation: The organizational challenge
by Crosby, Benjamin L.
- 1417-1430 Integrating strategic management tasks into implementing agencies: From firefighting to prevention
by Kiggundu, Moses N.
- 1431-1439 Strategic thinking in international development: Using management tools to see the big picture
by Goldsmith, Arthur A.
- 1441-1451 Assessing policy implementation success: Observations from The Philippines
by Morton, Alice L.
- 1453-1466 Increasing private sector capacity for policy dialogue: The West African Enterprise Network
by Orsini, Deborah M. & Courcelle, Michel & Brinkerhoff, Derick W.
- 1467-1479 Participation, social capital, and intersectoral problem solving: African and Asian cases
by Brown, L. David & Ashman, Darcy
- 1481-1496 Gender policy in development assistance: Improving implementation results
by Snyder, Monteze & Berry, Fran & Mavima, Paul
- 1497-1510 Coordination issues in policy implementation networks: An illustration from Madagascar's Environmental Action Plan
by Brinkerhoff, Derick W.
- 1511-1525 Strategies for Achieving Health Financing Reform in Africa
by Leighton, Charlotte
- 1527-1537 Sustaining economic reform under political liberalization in Africa: Issues and implications
by Gordon, David F.
- 1539-1550 Strategic change through sensible projects
by Bryant, Coralie
- 1551-1559 Promoting policy reforms: The twilight of conditionality?
by Nelson, Joan M.
1996, Volume 24, Issue 8
- 1281-1299 Fiscal decentralization in Indonesia: A new approach to an old idea
by Smoke, Paul & Lewis, Blane D.
- 1301-1315 Improving the performance of small-scale irrigation systems: The effects of technological investments and governance structure on irrigation performance in Nepal
by Lam, Wai Fung
- 1317-1332 Deforestation, land use, and women's agricultural activities in the Ecuadorian Amazon
by Thapa, Keshari K. & Bilsborrow, Richard E. & Murphy, Laura
- 1333-1346 State credit programs and the peasantry under populist regimes: Lessons from the APRA experience in the Peruvian Amazon
by Coomes, Oliver T.
- 1347-1355 Magic and witchcraft: Implications for democratization and poverty-alleviating aid in Africa
by Kohnert, Dirk
- 1357-1372 Globalization: Emasculation or opportunity for educational planning?
by Riddell, Abby Rubin
- 1373-1378 Productivity of public and private investment in developing countries: A broad international perspective
by Ram, Rati
- 1379-1384 The growing gap between rich and poor countries: A proposed explanation
by Sheehey, Edmund J.
- 1385-1392 Human development as statistical artifact
by Luchters, Guido & Menkhoff, Lukas
1996, Volume 24, Issue 7
- 1133-1149 Level playing fields and laissez faire: Postliberal development strategy in inegalitarian agrarian economies
by Carter, Michael R. & Barham, Bradford L.
- 1151-1160 Economic growth and environmental degradation: The environmental Kuznets curve and sustainable development
by Stern, David I. & Common, Michael S. & Barbier, Edward B.
- 1161-1177 Organizations and intensifications: Campesino federations, rural livelihoods and agricultural technology in the Andes and Amazonia
by Bebbington, Anthony
- 1179-1191 The impact of structural adjustment and property rights conflicts on Nicaraguan Agrarian reform beneficiaries
by Jonakin, Jon
- 1193-1208 Shrimp aquaculture development and the environment: People, mangroves and fisheries on the Gulf of Fonseca, Honduras
by Dewalt, Billie R. & Vergne, Philippe & Hardin, Mark
- 1209-1221 Ethical development
by Qizilbash, Mozaffar
- 1223-1242 The Uruguay Round agreements: Impact on developing countries
by Safadi, Raed & Laird, Sam
- 1243-1266 Technology investment and growth in economic welfare
by Daniels, Peter L.
- 1267-1278 Trade reform and manufacturing performance in Malawi 1970-1991
by Mulaga, Geoffrey & Weiss, John
1996, Volume 24, Issue 6
- IN1-IN1 Introduction: Development strategies across the public-private divide
by Evans, Peter
- 961-973 Too close for comfort? the impact of official aid on nongovernmental organizations
by Edwards, Michael & Hulme, David
- 975-987 The significance of development economics
by Naqvi, Syed Nawab Haider
- 989-1001 South Africa: Macroeconomic perspectives for the medium term
by Brixen, Peter & Tarp, Finn
- 1003-1013 Adjustment and income distribution in an agricultural economy: A general equilibrium analysis of Cameroon
by Benjamin, Nancy
- 1015-1031 Modeling determinants of poverty in Mauritania
by Coulombe, Harold & Mckay, Andrew
- 1039-1054 Institutional design of public agencies and coproduction: A study of irrigation associations in Taiwan
by Lam, Wai Fung
- 1055-1071 Social capital as a product of class mobilization and state intervention: Industrial workers in Kerala, India
by Heller, Patrick
- 1073-1087 Crossing the great divide: Coproduction, synergy, and development
by Ostrom, Elinor
- 1089-1103 How does civil society thicken? the political construction of social capital in rural Mexico
by Fox, Jonathan
- 1105-1117 The state and economic involution: Russia through a China lens
by Burawoy, Michael
- 1119-1132 Government action, social capital and development: Reviewing the evidence on synergy
by Evans, Peter
1996, Volume 24, Issue 5
- 793-806 Credit constraints, credit unions, and small-scale producers in Guatemala
by Barham, Bradford L. & Boucher, Stephen & Carter, Michael R.
- 807-820 International taxation: The trajectory of an idea from Lorimer to Brandt
by Frankman, Myron J.
- 821-829 Gender, markets and states: A selective review and research agenda
by Sen, Gita
- 831-844 Reducing the gender gap in an asian economy: How important is women's increasing work experience?
by Tam, Tony
- 845-855 National land cover mapping by remote sensing
by Haack, Barry & English, Richard
- 857-868 Household demand for improved solid waste management: A case study of Gujranwala, Pakistan
by Altaf, Mir Anjum & Deshazo, J. R.
- 869-885 Catching up in the postwar period: Puerto Rico as the fifth "Tiger"?
by Baumol, William J. & Wolff, Edward N.
- 887-900 Policy adjustments to the oil boom and their evaluation: The Dutch disease in Indonesia
by Usui, Norio
- 901-914 Agroclimatic shock, income inequality, and poverty: Evidence from Burkina Faso
by Reardon, Thomas & Taylor, J. Edward
- 915-928 Two-tier land tenure system and sustained economic growth in post-1978 rural China
by Dong, Xiao-Yuan
- 929-937 Estimating the level of protection: The implications of seasonal price fluctuations
by Shilpi, Forhad J.
- 939-951 Adjustment and economic performance under a fixed exchange rate: A comparative analysis of the CFA zone
by Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Majd, Nader
- 953-960 Bureaucrat, heal thyself! lessons from three administrative reforms
by Montgomery, John D.
1996, Volume 24, Issue 4
- 589-610 Education and the market: Which parts of the neoliberal solution are correct?
by Colclough, Christopher
- 611-633 Chaos and certainty in development
by Samoff, Joel
- 635-653 Rural credit programs and women's empowerment in Bangladesh
by Hashemi, Syed M. & Schuler, Sidney Ruth & Riley, Ann P.
- 655-672 Central-local relations in china during the reform era: The economic and institutional dimensions
by Huang, Yasheng
- 673-688 Intellectual property protection, market orientation and location of overseas R&D activities by multinational enterprises
by Kumar, Nagesh
- 689-696 Entrepreneurial human capital and the long-run survival of firms in India
by Nafziger, E. Wayne & Terrell, Dek
- 697-718 Modern varieties, productivity, and sustainability: Recent experience and emerging challenges
by Byerlee, Derek
- 719-747 Exchange rate, fiscal and agricultural policies in Africa: Does adjustment hurt the poor?
by Sahn, David E. & Dorosh, Paul & Younger, Stephen
- 749-764 The household and employment in small-scale nonfarm enterprises
by Melmed-Sanjak, Jolyne & Santiago, Carlos E.
- 765-771 Price Responsiveness, Efficiency, and the Impact of Structural Adjustment on Egyptian Crop Producers
by Baffes, John & Gautam, Madhur
- 773-780 The Kuznets curve: A reassessment
by Jha, Sailesh K.
- 781-791 Mechanizing small-scale rice cultivation in an industrializing economy: The development of the power-tiller in prewar Japan
by Francks, Penelope
1996, Volume 24, Issue 3
- 407-426 Small firms and their helpers: Lessons on demand
by Tendler, Judith & Amorim, Monica Alves
- 427-448 The enforcement of commercial contracts in Ghana
by Fafchamps, Marcel
- 449-460 R&D and technology policy in NICs as learning processes
by Teubal, Morris
- 461-470 The investment-profits nexus in East Asian industrialization
by Akyuz, Yilmaz & Gore, Charles
- 471-479 Pollution intensity of GDP and trade policy: Can the World Bank be wrong?
by Rock, Michael T.
- 481-487 Determinants of small and micro enterprise registration: Results from surveys in Niger and Swaziland
by McPherson, Michael A. & Liedholm, Carl
- 489-504 Rescuing gender from the poverty trap
by Jackson, Cecile
- 505-520 Women heading households: Some more equal than others?
by Varley, Ann
- 521-534 Economic reform and food prices: Evidence from markets in Ghana
by Alderman, Harold & Shively, Gerald
- 535-547 The impact of structural adjustment programs on manufacturing: Lessons from Nicaragua
by Dijkstra, A. Geske
- 549-556 Comparative advantage and bilateral foreign aid policy
by Dewald, Michael & Weder, Rolf
- 557-568 Evaluation of the incentive structure: A survey and application to Cameroon
by Njinkeu, Dominique
- 569-588 Vector-borne disease control in sub-Saharan Africa: A necessary but partial vision of development
by McMillan, Della E. & Meltzer, Martin I.
1996, Volume 24, Issue 2
- 213-213 Foreword
by Simai, Mihaly
- 215-225 Sustainable development: An introduction
by Taylor, Lance
- 227-240 Argentina: Growth resumption, sustainability, and environment
by Chisari, Omar O. & Fanelli, JoseMaria & Frenkel, Roberto
- 241-254 Brazil: Widening the scope for balanced growth
by De P. Abreu, Marcelo & Carneiro, Dionisio D. & Werneck, Rogerio L. F.
- 255-272 Growth, equity, and the environment in Chile: Issues and evidence
by Meller, Patricio & O'ryan, Raul & Solimano, Andres
- 273-286 China's macroeconomy, environment, and alternative transition model
by Amsden, Alice H. & Dongyi Liu & Xiaoming Zhang
- 287-305 Growth, distribution, and the environment: Sustainable development in India
by Dutt, Amitava Krishna & Rao, J. Mohan
- 307-324 Prospects for growth and the environment in Mexico in the 1990s
by Ros, Jaime & Draisma, Joost & Lustig, Nora & Kate, Adriaan Ten
- 325-339 The environmental consequences of stagnation in Nicaragua
by Gibson, Bill
- 341-357 Macroeconomic volatility, investment anemia and environmental struggles in the Philippines
by Montes, Manuel F. & Lim, Joseph Y.
- 359-371 Russian economic growth: Lessons from liberalization, medium-term constraints, and ecological challenges
by Vorobyov, Alexander Yu. & Zhukov, Stanislav V.
- 373-393 Dilemmas of structural adjustment and environmental policies under instability: Post-1980 Turkey
by Boratav, Korkut & Turel, Oktar & Yeldan, Erinc
- 395-405 Growth, distribution and environment: Macroeconomic issues in Zimbabwe
by Davies, Rob & Rattso, Jorn
1996, Volume 24, Issue 1
- 1-19 International Commodity Agreements: An obituary notice
by Gilbert, Christopher L.
- 21-44 The moral foundations of foreign aid
by Opeskin, Brian R.
- 45-63 Who takes the credit? Gender, power, and control over loan use in rural credit programs in Bangladesh
by Goetz, Anne Marie & Gupta, Rina Sen
- 65-78 The design of successful rural financial intermediaries: Evidence from Indonesia
by Chaves, Rodrigo A. & Gonzalez-Vega, Claudio
- 79-89 Managing credit for the rural poor: Lessons from the Grameen Bank
by Jain, Pankaj S.
- 91-96 Relief programs: When it may be better to give food instead of cash
by Basu, Kaushik
- 97-111 Deagrarianization and rural employment in sub-Saharan Africa: A sectoral perspective
by Bryceson, Deborah Fahy
- 113-128 The implications of female household headship for food consumption and nutritional status in the Dominican Republic
by Rogers, Beatrice Lorge
- 129-143 The struggle for survival: Prospects for the Women's Federation in Post-Mao China
by Howell, Jude
- 145-153 Monetary management and intergovernmental relations in China
by Jun Ma
- 155-170 Trade interdependence and direct foreign investment between ASEAN and China
by Zhang, Zhaoyong & Ow Chin Hock
- 171-182 Strategies for software exports from developing countries
by Correa, Carlos M.
- 183-199 Rates of return to education: Does the conventional pattern prevail in sub-Saharan Africa?
by Bennell, Paul
- 201-201 A reply to Bennell
by Psacharopoulos, George
- 203-206 Women and public policy in Afghanistan: A comment
by Maley, William
- 207-211 A reply to maley
by Moghadam, Valentine M.
1995, Volume 23, Issue 12
- 2019-2031 Structural adjustment and African industry
by Lall, Sanjaya
- 2033-2039 Alternative definitions of female headship in the Dominican Republic
by Rogers, Beatrice Lorge
- 2041-2049 The ecological basis of irrigation institutions: East and South Asia
by Wade, Robert
- 2051-2064 Income tax compliance in India: An empirical analysis
by Das-Gupta, Arindam & Lahiri, Radhika & Mookherjee, Dilip
- 2067-2077 Adjustment toward peace: An introduction
by Boyce, James K.
- 2079-2099 Macroeconomic policy and the Salvadoran peace accords
by Wood, Elisabeth & Segovia, Alexander
- 2101-2116 External assistance and the peace process in El Salvador
by Boyce, James K.
- 2117-2131 Distributional implications of macroeconomic policy: Theory and applications to El Salvador
by Pastor, Manuel Jr. & Conroy, Michael E.
- 2133-2152 Challenges and opportunities in El Salvador's financial sector
by Danby, Colin
- 2153-2172 El Salvador's agricultural sector: Macroeconomic policy, agrarian change and the environment
by Acevedo, Carlos & Barry, Deborah & Rosa, Herman
- 2173-2193 Exports, economic growth and the consolidation of peace in El Salvador
by Paus, Eva
1995, Volume 23, Issue 11
- 1827-1836 Introduction
by Cagatay, Nilufer & Elson, Diane & Grow, Caren
- 1839-1850 Toward a greater integration of gender in economics
by Beneria, Lourdes
- 1851-1868 Gender Awareness in Modeling Structural Adjustment
by Elson, Diane
- 1869-1880 Engendering macroeconomics: A reconsideration of growth theory
by Walters, Bernard
- 1883-1894 Feminization of the labor force: The effects of long-term development and structural adjustment
by Cagatay, Nilufer & Ozler, Sule
- 1895-1911 Long-term trends in the World economy: The gender dimension
by Howes, Candace & Singh, Ajit
- 1913-1929 Economic restructuring, gender and the allocation of time
by Floro, Maria Sagrario
- 1931-1949 Female education and adjustment programs: A crosscountry statistical analysis
by Rose, Pauline
- 1953-1961 Environmental and gender feedbacks in macroeconomics
by Taylor, Lance
- 1963-1968 The formal structure of a gender-segregated low-income economy
by Darity, William Jr.
- 1969-1977 Macroeconomic consequences of cyclical and secular changes in feminization: An experiment at gendered macromodeling
by Erturk, Korkut & Cagatay, Nilufer
- 1981-1986 Public finance from a gender perspective
by Palmer, Ingrid
- 1987-1994 Gender equality, bilateral program assistance and structural adjustment: Policy and procedures
by Elson, Diane & McGee, Rosemary
- 1995-1999 Bringing it all back home: Integrating training for gender specialists and economic planners
by Pearson, Ruth
- 2005-2017 Economic restructuring and gender in Canada: Feminist policy initiatives
by Macdonald, Martha
1995, Volume 23, Issue 10
- 1639-1652 Central bank independence: A critical view from a developing country perspective
by Mas, Ignacio
- 1653-1667 Incorporation and exclusion: The life cycle of Malawi's Refugee assistance program
by Zetter, Roger
- 1669-1681 Alternative food security strategy: A household analysis of urban agriculture in Kampala
by Maxwell, Daniel G.
- 1683-1698 The emergence and evolution of collective action: Lessons from watershed management in Haiti
by Anderson White, T. & Ford Runge, C.
- 1699-1712 Social movements and the State: The Politics of health reform in Brazil
by Weyland, Kurt
- 1713-1729 Shifting cultivation and "deforestation": A study from Indonesia
by Angelsen, Arild
- 1731-1744 Enhancing the role of women in crop production: A case study of Igbo women in Nigeria
by Ezumah, Nkoli N. & Di Domenico, Catherine M.
- 1745-1764 Developing a quantitative framework for sustainable resource-use planning in the Brazilian Amazon
by De Almeida, Oriana Trindade & Uhl, Christopher
- 1765-1779 Learning to love the Dutch disease: Evidence from the mineral economies
by Davis, Graham A.
- 1781-1793 The allocation of seigniorage in the Franc Zone: The BEAC and BCEAO regions compared
by Medhora, Rohinton
- 1795-1813 Smuggling and supply response: Coffee in Ethiopia
by Dercon, Stefan & Ayalew, Lulseged
- 1815-1824 Technology transfer to developing countries through engineering firms: The Canadian experience
by Niosi, Jorge & Hanel, Petr & Fiset, Liette
1995, Volume 23, Issue 9
- 1459-1473 Assessing adjustment in Africa
by Mosley, Paul & Subasat, Turan & Weeks, John
- 1475-1494 India and China: Contrasts in economic liberalization?
by Lal, Deepak
- 1495-1506 Links between rural poverty and the environment in developing countries: Asset categories and investment poverty
by Reardon, Thomas & Vosti, Stephen A.
- 1507-1519 Natural resources, national income, and economic growth in Africa
by Winter-Nelson, Alex
- 1521-1554 Participatory approaches in government bureaucracies: Facilitating the process of institutional change
by Thompson, John
- 1555-1573 Fast food in development
by Fass, Simon M.
- 1575-1585 The prevalence of rural poverty in Mexico
by Mckinley, Terry & Alarcon, Diana
- 1587-1599 From exclusion to participation: Turning Senegal's forestry policy around?
by Ribot, Jesse C.
- 1601-1614 Coping with change, complexity and diversity in agriculture -- the case of rhizobium inoculants in Thailand
by Hall, Andrew & Clark, Norman
- 1615-1632 Small island developing states and their economic vulnerabilities
by Briguglio, Lino
- 1633-1637 Migration of professionals from Fiji to New Zealand: A reduced form supply-demand model
by Gani, Azmat & Ward, Bert D.
1995, Volume 23, Issue 8
- 1247-1263 Participatory learning for sustainable agriculture
by Pretty, Jules N.
- 1265-1275 Property, politics and wildlife conservation
by Naughton-Treves, Lisa & Sanderson, Steven
- 1277-1289 Opportunism and NGOs: Entrepreneurship and green north-south transfers
by Meyer, Carrie A.
- 1291-1302 Democracy, gender and US foreign assistance: Guidelines and lessons
by Hirschmann, David
- 1303-1315 Performance measurement: Lessons learned for development management
by Cook, Thomas J. & Vansant, Jerry & Stewart, Leslie & Adrian, Jamie
- 1317-1334 Collective agricultural production: A solution for transition economies?
by Deininger, Klaus
- 1335-1347 Tea estate rehabilitation in Tanzania
by Faber, Mike
- 1349-1362 NAFTA and Mexico's maize producers
by de Janvry, Alain & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Anda, Gustavo Gordillo
- 1363-1374 Global and local subcontracting: Space, ethnicity, and the organization of apparel production
by Christerson, Brad & Appelbaum, Richard P.
- 1375-1385 Costs of entry and exit from financial markets and capital flows to developing countries
by Daveri, Francesco
- 1387-1399 Estimating the second economy in Tanzania
by Bagachwa, M. S. D. & Naho, A.
- 1401-1419 Consumption and poverty in Tanzania in 1976 and 1991: A comparison using survey data
by Sarris, Alexander H. & Tinios, Platon
- 1421-1438 The developmental state, government, and Singapore's economic development since 1960
by Huff, W. G.
- 1439-1458 The nature of minimum wages and their effectiveness as a wage floor in Costa Rica, 1976-1991
by Gindling, T. H. & Terrell, Katherine
1995, Volume 23, Issue 7
- 1073-1084 Are Integrated Conservation-Development Projects (ICDPs) Sustainable? On the conservation of large mammals in sub-Saharan Africa
by Barrett, Christopher B. & Arcese, Peter
- 1085-1102 Trees on farms in Malawi: Private investment, public policy, and farmer choice
by Dewees, Peter A.
- 1103-1114 Farm size and non traditional exports: Determinants of participation in world markets
by Collins, Jane L.
- 1115-1127 Incorporating finance into a modified subsector framework: The fertilizer subsector in The Gambia
by Nagarajan, Geetha & Meyer, Richard L.
- 1129-1141 Photovoltaic technology: Markets, economics, and rural development
by Erickson, Jon D. & Chapman, Duane
- 1143-1156 Making a market: Mass privatization in the Czech and Slovak Republics
by Shafik, Nemat
- 1157-1169 Reform strategies in transitional economies: Lessons from Asia
by Rana, Pradumna B.
- 1171-1193 East Asian latecomer firms: Learning the technology of electronics
by Hobday, Mike
- 1195-1214 Comparative advantage in manufacturing as a determinant of industrialization: The Korean case
by Lee, Jaimin
- 1215-1227 Returns to schooling in non-farm self-employment: An econometric case study of Ghana
by Vijverberg, Wim P. M.
- 1229-1245 Western European micro-states and EU autonomous regions: The advantages of size and sovereignty
by Armstrong, Harvey & Read, Robert
1995, Volume 23, Issue 6
- 881-896 The gender dimensions of economic adjustment policies: Potential interactions and evidence to date
by Haddad, Lawrence & Brown, Lynn R. & Richter, Andrea & Smith, Lisa
- 897-912 Governance structures and the durability of economic reforms: Evidence from inflation stabilizations
by Ball, Richard & Rausser, Gordon
- 913-926 Distortions in world food markets in the wake of GATT: Evidence and policy implications
by Valdes, Alberto & Zietz, Joachim
- 927-939 Fighting hunger at the grassroots: Paths to scaling up
by Uvin, Peter
- 941-957 Transforming rural hunters into conservationists: An assessment of community-based wildlife management programs in Africa
by Gibson, Clark C. & Marks, Stuart A.
- 959-973 Economic and ecological perspectives on agriculture in the Eastern Amazon
by Toniolo, Angelica & Uhl, Christopher
- 975-985 The transhipment problem: Smuggling and welfare in Paraguay
by Connely, Michael & Devereux, John & Cortes, Mariluz
- 987-1001 Foreign exchange reform in Iran: Badly designed, badly managed
by Farzin, Y. H.
- 1005-1005 Introduction
by Roe, Emery M.
- 1007-1021 Paradigms and politics: The cultural construction of environmental policy in Ethiopia
by Hoben, Allan
- 1023-1035 False forest history, complicit social analysis: Rethinking some West African environmental narratives
by Fairhead, James & Leach, Melissa
- 1037-1051 Environment, development, crisis, and crusade: Ukambani, Kenya, 1890-1990
by Rocheleau, Dianne E. & Steinberg, Philip E. & Benjamin, Patricia A.
- 1053-1063 Talking claims: Discursive strategies in contesting property
by Fortmann, Louise
- 1065-1069 Except-Africa: Postscript to a special section on development narratives
by Roe, Emery M.