Social Science & Medicine
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description
To be notified about new items in this series: Free volume/issue alert on ScienceDirect (see also NEP)
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Editor: The email address of this editor does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Ellen Annandale to have the entry updated or send us the correct address.
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Wendy Shamier)
Series handle: repec:eee:socmed
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
More pages of listings: 0| 1| 2| 3| 4| 5| 6| 7| 8| 9| 10| 11| 12| 13| 14| 15| 16| 17| 18| 19| 20| 21| 22| 23| 24| 25| 26| 27| 28| 29| 30| 31| 32| 33| 34| 35| 36| 37| 38| 39| 40| 41| 42| 43| 44| 45| 46| 47| 48| 49| 50| 51| 52| 53| 54| 55| 56| 57
2005, Volume 60, Issue 4
- 833-843 The use of patient reported outcome measures in routine clinical practice: lack of impact or lack of theory?
by Greenhalgh, Joanne & Long, Andrew F & Flynn, Rob
- 845-857 The teleo-affective limits of end-of-life care in the intensive care unit
by Iedema, Rick & Sorensen, Roslyn & Braithwaite, Jeffrey & Flabouris, Arthas & Turnbull, Liz
- 859-875 Habitual self-control and the management of health behavior among heart patients
by Schroder, Kerstin E.E. & Schwarzer, Ralf
- 877-891 Towards a geography of fitness: an ethnographic case study of the gym in British bodybuilding culture
by Andrews, Gavin J. & Sudwell, Mark I. & Sparkes, Andrew C.
- 893-910 Disclosing and responding to cancer "fears" during oncology interviews
by Beach, Wayne A. & Easter, David W. & Good, Jeffrey S. & Pigeron, Elisa
2005, Volume 60, Issue 3
- 439-455 Some mechanisms linking economic inequality and infant mortality
by Mayer, Susan E. & Sarin, Ankur
- 457-470 Determinants of old-age mortality in Taiwan
by Zimmer, Zachary & Martin, Linda G. & Lin, Hui-Sheng
- 471-482 Causes and demographic, medical, lifestyle and psychosocial predictors of premature mortality: the CARDIA study
by Iribarren, Carlos & Jacobs, David R. & Kiefe, Catarina I. & Lewis, Cora E. & Matthews, Karen A. & Roseman, Jeffrey M. & Hulley, Stephen B.
- 483-490 Smoking, respiratory disease and health service utilisation: the paradox
by Adab, Peymané & McGhee, Sarah M. & Hedley, Anthony J. & Lam, Tai Hing
- 491-500 Exploring the association of John Henry active coping and education on smoking behavior and nicotine dependence among Blacks in the USA
by Fernander, Anita F. & Patten, Christi A. & Schroeder, Darrell R. & Stevens, Susanna R. & Eberman, Kay M. & Hurt, Richard D.
- 501-513 Individual and district scale determinants of users' satisfaction with primary health care in developing countries
by Atkinson, Sarah & Haran, Dave
- 515-524 Quantifying the effect of health status on health care utilization using a preference-based health measure
by Lima, Viviane Dias & Kopec, Jacek A.
- 525-536 Do divergences between stated and actual willingness to pay signify the existence of bias in contingent valuation surveys?
by Onwujekwe, Obinna & Hanson, Kara & Fox-Rushby, Julia
- 537-543 Economic antecedents of the Swedish sex ratio
by Catalano, Ralph A. & Bruckner, Tim
- 545-561 Evidence-based medicine and its implications for the profession of chiropractic
by Villanueva-Russell, Yvonne
- 563-573 Aggressive active case detection: a malaria control strategy based on the Brazilian model
by Macauley, Cameron
- 575-586 A tailored intervention to promote breast cancer screening among South Asian immigrant women
by Ahmad, Farah & Cameron, Jill I. & Stewart, Donna E.
- 587-598 Between 'desperation' and disability rights: a narrative analysis of complementary/alternative medicine use by parents for children with Down syndrome
by Prussing, Erica & Sobo, Elisa J. & Walker, Elizabeth & Kurtin, Paul S.
- 599-607 Influence of social support on progression of coronary artery disease in women
by Wang, Hui-Xin & Mittleman, Murray A. & Orth-Gomer, Kristina
- 609-616 Shifting the demand for emergency care in Cuba's health system
by De Vos, Pol & Murlá, Pedro & Rodriguez, Armando & Bonet, Mariano & Màs, Pedro & Van der Stuyft, Patrick
- 617-626 Trend and area variation in amphetamine prescription usage among children and adolescents in Michigan
by Lin, Swu-Jane & Crawford, Stephanie Y. & Lurvey, Patricia L.
- 627-635 Injury recurrence among untreated and medically treated victims of violence in the USA
by Gallagher, Catherine A.
- 637-647 Widowhood and depressive symptoms among older Chinese: Do gender and source of support make a difference?
by Li, Lydia & Liang, Jersey & Toler, Amanda & Gu, Shengzu
- 649-660 Perceptions of risk and strategies for prevention: responses to HIV/AIDS in rural Malawi
by Smith, Kirsten P. & Watkins, Susan Cotts
2005, Volume 60, Issue 2
- 219-222 Equity, capabilities and health
by Anand, Paul & Dolan, Paul
- 223-236 The nature of procedural preferences for health-care rationing decisions
by Wailoo, Allan & Anand, Paul
- 237-246 Acceptability of less than perfect health states
by Brouwer, Werner B. F. & van Exel, N. Job A. & Stolk, Elly A.
- 247-255 Communitarian claims and community capabilities: furthering priority setting?
by Mooney, Gavin
- 257-263 Concerns for the worse off: fair innings versus severity
by Nord, Erik
- 265-275 Empiricism, ethics and orthodox economic theory: what is the appropriate basis for decision-making in the health sector?
by Richardson, Jeff & McKie, John
- 277-286 A "fair innings" between the sexes: are men being treated inequitably?
by Tsuchiya, Aki & Williams, Alan
- 287-295 Socioeconomic aspects of the circumstances and consequences of car crashes among young adults
by Hasselberg, Marie & Vaez, Marjan & Lucie Laflamme
- 297-311 Understanding pregnancy in a population of inner-city women in New Orleans--results of qualitative research
by Kendall, Carl & Afable-Munsuz, Aimee & Speizer, Ilene & Avery, Alexis & Schmidt, Norine & Santelli, John
- 313-317 Are rich people or poor people more likely to be ill? Lay perceptions, by social class and neighbourhood, of inequalities in health
by Macintyre, Sally & McKay, Laura & Ellaway, Anne
- 319-330 Microbicide acceptability research: current approaches and future directions
by Mantell, Joanne E. & Myer, Landon & Carballo-Diéguez, Alex & Stein, Zena & Ramjee, Gita & Morar, Neetha S. & Harrison, Polly F.
- 331-344 Warranted concerns, warranted outlooks: a focus group study of public understandings of genetic research
by Bates, Benjamin R. & Lynch, John A. & Bevan, Jennifer L. & Condit, Celeste M.
- 345-356 Shifts in global immunisation goals (1984-2004): unfinished agendas and mixed results
by Hardon, Anita & Blume, Stuart
- 357-368 Under what conditions is euthanasia acceptable to lay people and health professionals?
by Teisseyre, Nathalie & Mullet, Etienne & Sorum, Paul Clay
- 369-381 The economics of social marketing: the case of mosquito nets in Tanzania
by Kikumbih, Nassor & Hanson, Kara & Mills, Anne & Mponda, Hadji & Schellenberg, Joanna Armstrong
- 383-393 An explanatory model of health promotion and quality of life for persons with post-polio syndrome
by Stuifbergen, Alexa K. & Seraphine, Anne & Harrison, Tracie & Adachi, Eishi
- 395-407 Maternal education and child nutritional status in Bolivia: finding the links
by Frost, Michelle Bellessa & Forste, Renata & Haas, David W.
- 409-419 The causes of low back pain: a network analysis
by Campbell, C. & Muncer, S. J.
- 421-432 Perceived breast cancer risk: heuristic reasoning and search for a dominance structure
by Katapodi, Maria C. & Facione, Noreen C. & Humphreys, Janice C. & Dodd, Marylin J.
- 433-437 The health consciousness myth: implications of the near independence of major health behaviors in the North American population
by Newsom, Jason T. & McFarland, Bentson H. & Kaplan, Mark S. & Huguet, Nathalie & Zani, Brigid
2005, Volume 60, Issue 1
- 1-12 A meta-analytic investigation of the relationship between the psychological distress of cancer patients and their carers
by Hodges, L. J. & Humphris, G. M. & Macfarlane, G.
- 13-23 Chronic illness and depressive symptoms in late life
by Schnittker, Jason
- 25-36 Impact of depression on disablement in late middle aged and older persons: results from the Longitudinal Aging Study Amsterdam
by van Gool, Coen H. & Kempen, Gertrudis I. J. M. & Penninx, Brenda W. J. H. & Deeg, Dorly J. H. & Beekman, Aartjan T. F. & van Eijk, Jacques Th. M.
- 37-48 'Normal disruption': South Asian and African/Caribbean relatives caring for an older family member in the UK
by Adamson, Joy & Donovan, Jenny
- 49-60 Women's status and depressive symptoms: A multilevel analysis
by Chen, Ying-Yeh & Subramanian, S. V. & Acevedo-Garcia, Doloros & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 61-69 Geographies of inequality: Child pedestrian injury and walking school buses in Auckland, New Zealand
by Collins, Damian C. A. & Kearns, Robin A.
- 71-86 Neighbourhood life and social capital: the implications for health
by Ziersch, Anna M & Baum, Fran E & MacDougall, Colin & Putland, Christine
- 87-95 Types of provincial structure and population health
by Young, Frank W. & Rodriguez, Eunice
- 97-108 Cross-national variation in family influences on child health
by Heaton, Tim B. & Forste, Renata & Hoffmann, John P. & Flake, Dallan
- 109-118 Implications of genetic risk information in families with a high density of bipolar disorder: an exploratory study
by Meiser, Bettina & Mitchell, Philip B. & McGirr, H. & Van Herten, M. & Schofield, Peter R.
- 119-130 Changing organisations: a study of the context and processes of mergers of health care providers in England
by Fulop, Naomi & Protopsaltis, Gerasimos & King, Annette & Allen, Pauline & Hutchings, Andrew & Normand, Charles
- 131-141 Effectiveness of a multi-component intervention on dispensing practices at private pharmacies in Vietnam and Thailand--a randomized controlled trial
by Chalker, J. & Ratanawijitrasin, S. & Chuc, N. T. K & Petzold, M. & Tomson, G.
- 143-151 Diffusion of breast conserving surgery in medical communities
by Jerome-D'Emilia, Bonnie & Begun, James W.
- 153-164 A naturalistic inquiry on the impact of interventions aiming to improve health and the quality of life in the community
by Sogoric, Selma & Middleton, John & Lang, Slobodan & Ivankovic, Davor & Kern, Josipa
- 165-178 Does economic inequality affect child malnutrition? The case of Ecuador
by Larrea, Carlos & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 179-189 Psychosocial distress of Tibetans in exile: integrating western interventions with traditional beliefs and practice
by Mercer, Stewart W. & Ager, Alastair & Ruwanpura, Eshani
- 191-204 Are racial disparities in health conditional on socioeconomic status?
by Farmer, Melissa M. & Ferraro, Kenneth F.
- 205-218 Business cycles and mortality: results from Swedish microdata
by Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Johannesson, Magnus
2004, Volume 59, Issue 12
- 2405-2407 Changes at Social Science & Medicine
by Macintyre, S.
- 2409-2419 Income inequality and self-rated health in US metropolitan areas: A multi-level analysis
by Lopez, Russ
- 2421-2434 A multilevel analysis of race, community disadvantage, and body mass index among adults in the US
by Robert, Stephanie A. & Reither, Eric N.
- 2435-2445 Municipal socioeconomic status and mortality in Japan: sex and age differences, and trends in 1973-1998
by Fukuda, Yoshiharu & Nakamura, Keiko & Takano, Takehito
- 2447-2458 Social capital in working life and the health of employees
by Liukkonen, Virpi & Virtanen, Pekka & Kivimäki, Mika & Pentti, Jaana & Vahtera, Jussi
- 2459-2466 Inpatient/outpatient health care costs and remaining years of life--effect of decreasing mortality on future acute health care demand
by Batljan, Ilija & Lagergren, Mårten
- 2467-2477 Preferences in end-of-life care of older persons: after-death interviews with proxy respondents
by Klinkenberg, Marianne & Willems, Dick L. & Onwuteaka-Philipsen, Bregje D. & Deeg, Dorly J. H. & van der Wal, Gerrit
- 2479-2497 Gender and use of health care among older adults in Egypt and Tunisia
by Yount, Kathryn M. & Agree, Emily M. & Rebellon, Cesar
- 2499-2507 Gender and age inequity in the provision of coronary revascularisation in England in the 1990s: is it getting better?
by Shaw, Mary & Maxwell, Roy & Rees, Karen & Ho, Davidson & Oliver, Steven & Ben-Shlomo, Yoav & Ebrahim, Shah
- 2509-2522 Acculturation and physical activity among North Carolina Latina immigrants
by Evenson, Kelly R. & Sarmiento, Olga L. & Ayala, Guadalupe X.
- 2523-2533 Health pessimism among black and white adults: the role of interpersonal and institutional maltreatment
by Boardman, Jason D.
- 2535-2546 Single mothers and the use of professionals for mental health care reasons
by Cairney, John & Boyle, Michael H. & Lipman, Ellen L. & Racine, Yvonne
- 2547-2559 Understanding of informed consent in a low-income setting: three case studies from the Kenyan coast
by Molyneux, C. S. & Peshu, N. & Marsh, K.
- 2561-2571 Representations of SARS in the British newspapers
by Washer, Peter
- 2573-2583 Service users' strategies for managing risk in the volatile environment of an acute psychiatric ward
by Quirk, Alan & Lelliott, Paul & Seale, Clive
- 2585-2595 Utilization of delivery services at the primary health care level in rural Vietnam
by Duong, Dat V & Binns, Colin W & Lee, Andy H
- 2597-2601 Drug name confusion: evaluating the effectiveness of capital ("Tall Man") letters using eye movement data
by Filik, Ruth & Purdy, Kevin & Gale, Alastair & Gerrett, David
- 2603-2616 Migration, community context, and child immunization in Ethiopia
by Kiros, Gebre-Egzbiabher & White, Michael J.
- 2617-2626 Policy formation in gamete donation and egg sharing in the UK--a critical appraisal
by Blyth, Eric & Crawshaw, Marilyn & Daniels, Ken
- 2627-2637 The sense of belonging to a neighbourhood: can it be measured and is it related to health and well being in older women?
by Young, Anne F. & Russell, Anne & Powers, Jennifer R.
2004, Volume 59, Issue 11
- 2183-2193 Diabetes meanings a mong those without diabetes: explanatory models of immigrant Latinos in rural North Carolina
by Arcury, Thomas A. & Skelly, Anne H. & Gesler, Wilbert M. & Dougherty, Molly C.
- 2195-2205 Cultural competence among physicians treating Mexican Americans who have diabetes: a structural model
by Reimann, Joachim O. F. & Talavera, Gregory A. & Salmon, Michelle & Nuñez, Joseph A. & Velasquez, Roberto J.
- 2207-2218 Effects of nurse follow-up on emergency room revisits: a randomized controlled trial
by Wong, Frances Kam Yuet & Chow, Susan & Chang, Katherine & Lee, Albert & Liu, Jiexin
- 2219-2232 Client satisfaction with reproductive health-care quality: integrating business approaches to modeling and measurement
by Alden, Dana L. & Hoa, Do Mai & Bhawuk, Dharm
- 2233-2244 Patient satisfaction and ethnic identity among American Indian older adults
by Garroutte, Eva Marie & Kunovich, Robert M. & Jacobsen, Clemma & Goldberg, Jack
- 2245-2257 Social relationships and allostatic load in Taiwanese elderly and near elderly
by Seeman, Teresa & Glei, Dana & Goldman, Noreen & Weinstein, Maxine & Singer, Burt & Lin, Yu-Hsuan
- 2259-2270 Mental health among older adults in Japan: do sources of social support and negative interaction make a difference?
by Okabayashi, Hideki & Liang, Jersey & Krause, Neal & Akiyama, Hiroko & Sugisawa, Hidehiro
- 2271-2284 Short-term effects of moving from public housing in poor to middle-class neighborhoods on low-income, minority adults' outcomes
by Fauth, Rebecca C. & Leventhal, Tama & Brooks-Gunn, Jeanne
- 2285-2301 Preventing long-term welfare receipt: the theoretical relationship between health and poverty over the early life course
by Nielsen, Marcia J. & Juon, Hee-Soon & Ensminger, Margaret
- 2303-2312 The relationships of social participation and community ratings to health and health behaviors in areas with high and low population density
by Greiner, K. Allen & Li, Chaoyang & Kawachi, Ichiro & Hunt, D. Charles & Ahluwalia, Jasjit S.
- 2313-2323 Foreign direct investment and trade in health services: A review of the literature
by Smith, Richard D
- 2325-2334 Death and organ procurement: public beliefs and attitudes
by Siminoff, Laura A. & Burant, Christopher & Youngner, Stuart J.
- 2335-2359 A review of empirical studies on the model of effort-reward imbalance at work: reducing occupational stress by implementing a new theory
by Tsutsumi, Akizumi & Kawakami, Norito
- 2361-2371 Prevention of mosquito nuisance among urban populations in Burkina Faso
by Samuelsen, Helle & Toé, Léa Paré & Baldet, Thierry & Skovmand, Ole
- 2373-2385 Violence against women in Ghana: a look at women's perceptions and review of policy and social responses
by Amoakohene, Margaret Ivy
- 2387-2399 Geographical proximity and health care utilization in veterans with SCI&D in the USA
by LaVela, Sherri L. & Smith, Bridget & Weaver, Frances M. & Miskevics, Scott A.
2004, Volume 59, Issue 10
- 1995-2001 Hospital ethnography: introduction
by van der Geest, Sjaak & Finkler, Kaja
- 2003-2012 "Villagers": Differential treatment in a Ghanaian hospital
by Andersen, Helle Max
- 2013-2024 The gaps in the gaze in South African hospitals
by Gibson, Diana
- 2025-2036 Poverty and violence, frustration and inventiveness: hospital ward life in Bangladesh
by Zaman, Shahaduz
- 2037-2051 Biomedicine globalized and localized: western medical practices in an outpatient clinic of a Mexican hospital
by Finkler, Kaja
- 2053-2069 Compliance as strategy: the importance of personalised relations in obstetric practice
by Tanassi, Lucia M.
- 2071-2085 Dealing with doubt: Making decisions in a neonatal ward in The Netherlands
by Vermeulen, Eric
- 2087-2094 Doctors and retribution: the hospitalisation of compensation claims in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea
by van Amstel, Hans & van der Geest, Sjaak
- 2095-2108 Privacy, privatization, and the politics of patronage: ethnographic challenges to penetrating the secret world of Middle Eastern, hospital-based in vitro fertilization
by Inhorn, Marcia C.
- 2109-2120 Social inequalities and disability in older men: prospective findings from the British regional heart study
by Ebrahim, Shah & Papacosta, Olia & Wannamethee, Goya & Adamson, Joy
- 2121-2129 Gender differences in factors affecting use of health services: an analysis of a community study of middle-aged and older Australians
by Parslow, Ruth & Jorm, Anthony & Christensen, Helen & Jacomb, Patricia & Rodgers, Bryan
- 2131-2138 Childhood IQ and cardiovascular disease in adulthood: prospective observational study linking the Scottish Mental Survey 1932 and the Midspan studies
by Hart, C. L. & Taylor, M. D. & Smith, G. Davey & Whalley, L. J. & Starr, J. M. & Hole, D. J. & Wilson, V. & Deary, I. J.
- 2139-2147 The association of personal and neighborhood socioeconomic indicators with subclinical cardiovascular disease in an elderly cohort. The cardiovascular health study
by Nordstrom, Cheryl K. & Diez Roux, Ana V. & Jackson, Sharon A. & Gardin, Julius M.
- 2149-2160 Clarifying the relationships between health and residential mobility
by Larson, Ann & Bell, Martin & Young, Anne Frances
- 2161-2172 The elderly and AIDS: Coping with the impact of adult death in Tanzania
by Dayton, Julia & Ainsworth, Martha
- 2173-2182 Organ transplantation in Singapore: history, problems, and policies
by Schmidt, Volker H. & Lim, Chee Han
2004, Volume 59, Issue 9
- 1783-1793 The importance of being expert: the quest for cancer information on the Internet
by Ziebland, Sue
- 1795-1806 Characteristics of online and offline health information seekers and factors that discriminate between them
by Cotten, Shelia R & Gupta, Sipi S
- 1807-1818 Preventing hepatitis C: 'Common sense', 'the bug' and other perspectives from the risk narratives of people who inject drugs
by Davis, Mark & Rhodes, Tim & Martin, Anthea
- 1819-1830 Rapid assessment: an international review of diffusion, practice and outcomes in the substance use field
by Fitch, Chris & Stimson, Gerry V & Rhodes, Tim & Poznyak, Vladimir
- 1831-1842 Attendance for general practitioner asthma care by children with moderate to severe asthma in Auckland, New Zealand
by Buetow, Stephen & Richards, Deborah & Mitchell, Ed & Gribben, Barry & Adair, Vivienne & Coster, Gregor & Hight, Makere
- 1843-1855 An issue of culture: the effects of daily activities on prenatal care utilization patterns in rural South Africa
by McCray, Talia M.
- 1857-1866 "Important to test, important to support": attitudes toward disability rights and prenatal diagnosis among leaders of support groups for genetic disorders in Israel
by Raz, Aviad
- 1867-1878 Referral to rehabilitation following traumatic brain injury: practitioners and the process of decision-making
by Foster, Michele & Tilse, Cheryl & Fleming, Jennifer
- 1879-1889 Nursing, knowledge and power: A case analysis
by Ceci, Christine
- 1891-1897 Preferences for disclosure: the case of bedside rationing
by Schwappach, David L.B & Koeck, Christian M
- 1899-1912 Making sense of diabetes: cultural models, gender and individual adjustment to Type 2 diabetes in a Mexican community
by Daniulaityte, Raminta
- 1913-1924 The political environment of HIV: lessons from a comparison of Uganda and South Africa
by Parkhurst, Justin O & Lush, Louisiana
- 1925-1936 Gender differences in the relationship of partner's social class to behavioural risk factors and social support in the Whitehall II study
by Bartley, M & Martikainen, P & Shipley, M & Marmot, M
- 1937-1948 Waiting time information services: An evaluation of how well clearance time statistics can forecast a patient's wait
by Cromwell, David A
- 1949-1954 Changes in authorship patterns in prestigious US medical journals
by Weeks, William B & Wallace, Amy E & Kimberly, B.C.Surott
- 1955-1967 Do dietary intakes affect search for nutrient information on food labels?
by Jordan Lin, Chung-Tung & Lee, Jonq-Ying & Yen, Steven T.
- 1969-1973 Mental health burden amongst inhabitants of an arsenic-affected area in Inner Mongolia, China
by Fujino, Yoshihisa & Guo, Xiaojuan & Liu, Jun & You, Lingui & Miyatake, Munetoshi & Yoshimura, Takesumi
- 1975-1984 The use of personal data from medical records and biological materials: ethical perspectives and the basis for legal restrictions in health research
by Regidor, Enrique
- 1985-1992 The European health divide: a matter of financial or social capital?
by Carlson, Per
2004, Volume 59, Issue 8
- 1561-1572 Interactive video behavioral intervention to reduce adolescent females' STD risk: a randomized controlled trial
by Downs, Julie S. & Murray, Pamela J. & Bruine de Bruin, Wändi & Penrose, Joyce & Palmgren, Claire & Fischhoff, Baruch
- 1573-1580 Unmet need for contraception in Kuwait: issues for health care providers
by Shah, Makhdoom A. & Shah, Nasra M. & Chowdhury, Rafiqul Islam & Menon, Indu
- 1581-1592 Transactional sex among women in Soweto, South Africa: prevalence, risk factors and association with HIV infection
by Dunkle, Kristin L. & Jewkes, Rachel K. & Brown, Heather C. & Gray, Glenda E. & McIntryre, James A. & Harlow, Siobán D.
- 1593-1601 What constitutes success in preventive health care? A case study in assessing the benefits of hip protectors
by Salkeld, G. & Quine, S. & Cameron, I. D.
- 1603-1612 'In the eye of the beholder': perceptions of local impact in English Health Action Zones
by Sullivan, Helen & Judge, Ken & Sewel, Kate
- 1613-1627 Insights into the 'healthy immigrant effect': health status and health service use of immigrants to Canada
by McDonald, James Ted & Kennedy, Steven
- 1629-1646 Socioeconomic, cultural, and personal influences on health outcomes in low income Mexican-origin individuals in Texas
by Franzini, Luisa & Fernandez-Esquer, Maria Eugenia
- 1647-1659 Utilization of well-baby care visits provided by Taiwan's National Health Insurance Program
by Chen, Likwang & Yang, Wen-Shan & Lee, Shyh-Dye & Chang, Hua-Chih & Yeh, Chen-Lin
- 1661-1676 Committed to health for all? How the G7/G8 rate
by Labonte, Ronald & Schrecker, Ted
- 1677-1683 Research report: do general practitioners tell their patients about side effects to common treatments?
by Krag, Aleksander & Nielsen, Henriette Svarre & Norup, Michael & Madsen, Søren M. & Rossel, Peter
- 1685-1693 Truth telling and truthfulness in the care for patients with advanced dementia: an ethnographic study in Dutch nursing homes
by Hertogh, Cees M. P. M. & Anne Mei The, B. & Miesen, Bere M. L. & Eefsting, Jan A.
- 1695-1705 Relief, risk and renewal: mixed therapy regimens in an Australian suburb
by Connor, Linda H.
- 1707-1717 Street children in Pakistan: A situational analysis of social conditions and nutritional status
by Ali, Moazzam & Shahab, Saqib & Ushijima, Hiroshi & de Muynck, Aime
- 1719-1730 Job stress, social support, and prevalence of insomnia in a population of Japanese daytime workers
by Nakata, Akinori & Haratani, Takashi & Takahashi, Masaya & Kawakami, Norito & Arito, Heihachiro & Kobayashi, Fumio & Araki, Shunichi
- 1731-1740 The effect of hospital bed reduction on the use of beds: A comparative study of 10 European countries
by Kroneman, Madelon & Siegers, Jacques J.
- 1741-1755 Arsenic contamination awareness among the rural residents in Bangladesh
by Paul, Bimal Kanti
- 1757-1768 Does traditional birth attendant training improve referral of women with obstetric complications: a review of the evidence
by Sibley, Lynn & Sipe, Theresa Ann & Koblinsky, Marge
- 1769-1780 Denial of impending death: a discourse analysis of the palliative care literature
by Zimmermann, Camilla
2004, Volume 59, Issue 7
- 1339-1353 Social inequality and depressive disorders in Bahia, Brazil: interactions of gender, ethnicity, and social class
by Almeida-Filho, Naomar & Lessa, Ines & Magalhães, Lucélia & Araújo, Maria Jenny & Aquino, Estela & James, Sherman A. & Kawachi, Ichiro
- 1355-1365 Individualisation and inequalities in health: a qualitative study of class identity and health
by Bolam, Bruce & Murphy, Simon & Gleeson, Kate
- 1367-1378 Job characteristics as mediators in SES-health relationships
by Warren, John Robert & Hoonakker, Peter & Carayon, Pascale & Brand, Jennie
- 1379-1395 Men's influences on women's reproductive health: medical anthropological perspectives
by Dudgeon, Matthew R. & Inhorn, Marcia C.
- 1397-1408 The rhetoric of "natural" in natural childbirth: childbearing women's perspectives on prolonged pregnancy and induction of labour
by Westfall, Rachel Emma & Benoit, Cecilia
- 1409-1421 Health lifestyles in central Asia: the case of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan
by Cockerham, William C. & Hinote, Brian P. & Abbott, Pamela & Haerpfer, Christian
- 1423-1433 Analysis of health-related quality of life (HRQL), its distribution, and its distribution by income in Japan, 1989 and 1998
by Asada, Yukiko & Ohkusa, Yasushi
- 1435-1447 Socioeconomic determinants of mortality in two Canadian provinces: Multilevel modelling and neighborhood context
by Roos, Leslie L. & Magoon, Jennifer & Gupta, Sumit & Chateau, Dan & Veugelers, Paul J.
- 1449-1459 Premature mortality among lone fathers and childless men
by Ringbäck Weitoft, Gunilla & Burström, Bo & Rosén, Måns
- 1461-1471 Blood and bioidentity: ideas about self, boundaries and risk among blood donors and people living with Hepatitis C
by Waldby, Catherine & Rosengarten, Marsha & Treloar, Carla & Fraser, Suzanne
- 1473-1484 Striving for normalcy: symptoms and the threat of rejection after lung transplantation
by Dabbs, Annette De Vito & Hoffman, Leslie A. & Swigart, Valerie & Happ, Mary Beth & Dauber, James H. & McCurry, Kenneth R. & Iacono, Aldo
- 1485-1494 Neighbourhood influences on health in Montréal, Canada
by Ross, Nancy A. & Tremblay, Stéphane & Graham, Katie
- 1495-1503 The expression of aversion to medicines in general practice consultations
by Britten, Nicky & Stevenson, Fiona & Gafaranga, Joseph & Barry, Christine & Bradley, Colin
- 1505-1515 Rapid income growth adversely affects diet quality in China--particularly for the poor!
by Du, Shufa & Mroz, Tom A. & Zhai, Fengying & Popkin, Barry M.
- 1517-1527 Around-the-clock: parent work schedules and children's well-being in a 24-h economy
by Strazdins, Lyndall & Korda, Rosemary J. & Lim, Lynette L-Y. & Broom, Dorothy H. & D'Souza, Rennie M.
- 1529-1539 Community-based treatment of multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Lima, Peru: 7 years of experience
by Shin, Sonya & Furin, Jennifer & Bayona, Jaime & Mate, Kedar & Kim, Jim Yong & Farmer, Paul
- 1541-1546 Audience, consequence, and journal selection in toxic-exposure epidemiology
by Rier, David A.
- 1547-1557 Governing street-based injecting drug users: a critique of heroin overdose prevention in Australia
by Moore, David
2004, Volume 59, Issue 6
- 1117-1126 Income inequality and pregnancy spacing
by Gold, R. & Connell, Frederick A. & Heagerty, Patrick & Bezruchka, Stephen & Davis, Robert & Cawthon, Mary Lawrence
- 1127-1146 Race and pregnancy-related care in Brazil and South Africa
by Burgard, Sarah
- 1147-1158 Antenatal care: provision and inequality in rural north India
by Pallikadavath, Saseendran & Foss, Mary & Stones, R William
- 1159-1168 Masculinity and undocumented labor migration: injured latino day laborers in San Francisco
by Walter, Nicholas & Bourgois, Philippe & Margarita Loinaz, H.
- 1169-1175 Masculinity, infertility, stigma and media reports
by Gannon, Kenneth & Glover, Lesley & Abel, Paul
- 1177-1191 Mothering children who have disabilities: a Bourdieusian interpretation of maternal practices
by McKeever, Patricia & Miller, Karen-Lee
- 1193-1205 Doing their jobs: mothering with Ritalin in a culture of mother-blame
by Singh, Ilina
- 1207-1217 Further development of an Australian-based measure of social capital in a US sample
by O'Brien, Megan S. & Burdsal, Charles A. & Molgaard, Craig A.
- 1219-1229 Local services and amenities, neighborhood social capital, and health
by Altschuler, Andrea & Somkin, Carol P. & Adler, Nancy E.
- 1231-1239 The social situation of motherless children in rural and urban areas of Guinea-Bissau
by Masmas, Tania Nicole & Jensen, Henrik & da Silva, Domingos & Høj, Lars & Sandström, Anita & Aaby, Peter
- 1241-1250 Motivation and values of hospital consultants in south-east England who work in the national health service and do private practice
by Humphrey, Charlotte & Russell, Jill
- 1251-1261 'We are bitter but we are satisfied': nurses as street-level bureaucrats in South Africa
by Walker, Liz & Gilson, Lucy
- 1263-1273 Discharge from physiotherapy following stroke:: the management of disappointment
by Wiles, Rose & Ashburn, Ann & Payne, Sheila & Murphy, Caroline
- 1275-1285 The medical text: between biomedicine and hegemony
by Filc, D.
- 1287-1295 A comparison of socioeconomic differences in physical functioning and perceived health among male and female employees in Britain, Finland and Japan
by Martikainen, Pekka & Lahelma, Eero & Marmot, Michael & Sekine, Michikazu & Nishi, Nobuo & Kagamimori, Sadanobu
- 1297-1306 Self-reported health and adult mortality risk: An analysis of cause-specific mortality
by Benjamins, Maureen Reindl & Hummer, Robert A. & Eberstein, Isaac W. & Nam, Charles B.
- 1307-1313 Medicine in a multi-cultural society: the effect of cultural background on beliefs about medications
by Horne, Robert & Graupner, Lída & Frost, Susie & Weinman, John & Wright, Siobhan Melanie & Hankins, Matthew
- 1315-1327 Knowledge, attitudes and experiences of sex trafficking by young women in Benin City, South-South Nigeria
by Okonofua, F. E. & Ogbomwan, S. M. & Alutu, A. N. & Kufre, Okop & Eghosa, Aghahowa
- 1329-1337 While there's life ...: hope and the experience of cancer
by Little, Miles & Sayers, Emma-Jane
2004, Volume 59, Issue 5
- 889-902 The adapting healer: pioneering through shifting epidemiological and sociocultural landscapes
by McMillen, H.Heather
- 903-913 Outcomes associated with participation in a therapeutic recreation camping programme for children from 15 European countries: Data from the 'Barretstown Studies'
by Kiernan, Gemma & Gormley, Michael & MacLachlan, Malcolm
- 915-930 Responses of established healthcare to the professionalization of complementary and alternative medicine in Ontario
by Kelner, Merrijoy & Wellman, Beverly & Boon, Heather & Welsh, Sandy
- 931-943 The performance of different models of primary care provision in Southern Africa
by Mills, Anne & Palmer, Natasha & Gilson, Lucy & McIntyre, Di & Schneider, Helen & Sinanovic, Edina & Wadee, Haroon
- 945-959 Senegalese grandmothers promote improved maternal and child nutrition practices: the guardians of tradition are not averse to change
by Aubel, Judi & Touré, Ibrahima & Diagne, Mamadou
- 961-971 Racial and ethnic diversity and organizational behavior: a focused research agenda for health services management
by Dreachslin, Janice L. & Weech-Maldonado, Robert & Dansky, K.H.Kathryn H.
- 973-986 Should "acculturation" be a variable in health research? A critical review of research on US Hispanics
by Hunt, L.M.Linda M. & Schneider, Suzanne & Comer, Brendon
- 987-1001 The economic consequences for parents of losing an adult child to AIDS: Evidence from Thailand
by Knodel, John & Im-em, Wassana
- 1003-1010 Search for a cure: narratives of Thai family caregivers living with a person with AIDS
by Nilmanat, Kittikorn & Street, Annette
- 1011-1018 STD care: variations in clinical care associated with provider sex, patient sex, patients' self-reported symptoms or high-risk behaviors, partner STD history
by St. Lawrence, J.S.Janet S. & Kuo, Wen-Hung & Hogben, Matthew & Montaño, Daniel E & Kasprzyk, Danuta & Phillips, William R.
- 1019-1033 The determinants of withdrawal use in Turkey: A husband's imposition or a woman's choice?
by Kulczycki, Andrzej
- 1035-1045 'I am not the kind of woman who complains of everything': Illness stories on self and shame in women with chronic pain
by Werner, Anne & Isaksen, L.W.Lise Widding & Malterud, Kirsti