Journal of Public Economics
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Current editor: R. Boadway
Additional information is available for the following
registered editor(s): Robin W. Boadway
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Zhang, Lei)
Series handle: repec:eee:pubeco
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple (last 10 years), Recursive (10), Discounted (10), Recursive discounted (10), H-Index (10), Aggregate (10)
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
2005, Volume 89, Issue 8
- 1581-1592 VCM or PPM? A comparison of the performance of two voluntary public goods mechanisms
by Rondeau, Daniel & Poe, Gregory L. & Schulze, William D.
2005, Volume 89, Issue 7
- 1155-1156 Editorial introduction for "The Political Integration and Disintegration" special issue
by Boadway, Robin & Thisse, Jacques & Weber, Shlomo
- 1157-1189 Why countries are fiscally decentralizing
by Arzaghi, Mohammad & Henderson, J. Vernon
- 1191-1210 How to win a decision in a confederation
by Jehiel, Philippe & Thisse, Jacques-Francois
- 1211-1229 Decentralization and international tax competition
by Wilson, John Douglas & Janeba, Eckhard
- 1231-1249 Can decentralization be beneficial?
by Rubinchik-Pessach, Anna
- 1251-1275 Mixed markets and crime
by Helsley, Robert W. & Strange, William C.
- 1277-1303 Transfers in a polarized country: bridging the gap between efficiency and stability
by Haimanko, Ori & Le Breton, Michel & Weber, Shlomo
- 1305-1331 Redistribution policy: A European model
by Casella, Alessandra
- 1333-1354 War, peace, and the size of countries
by Alesina, Alberto & Spolaore, Enrico
2005, Volume 89, Issue 5-6
- 729-760 The impact of school choice on student outcomes: an analysis of the Chicago Public Schools
by Cullen, Julie Berry & Jacob, Brian A. & Levitt, Steven D.
- 761-796 Accountability, incentives and behavior: the impact of high-stakes testing in the Chicago Public Schools
by Jacob, Brian A.
- 797-819 The effect of overcrowded housing on children's performance at school
by Goux, Dominique & Maurin, Eric
- 821-839 The effects of spending on test pass rates: evidence from Michigan
by Papke, Leslie E.
- 841-870 Educational opportunity and income inequality
by Hendel, Igal & Shapiro, Joel & Willen, Paul
- 871-896 The melting pot and school choice
by Gradstein, Mark & Justman, Moshe
- 897-931 Preferences for redistribution in the land of opportunities
by Alesina, Alberto & La Ferrara, Eliana
- 933-955 Positive arithmetic of the welfare state
by Conde-Ruiz, Jose Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo
- 957-966 An alternative way to model merit good arguments
by Schroyen, Fred
- 967-996 On the income dependence of equivalence scales
by Koulovatianos, Christos & Schroder, Carsten & Schmidt, Ulrich
- 997-1019 Income and well-being: an empirical analysis of the comparison income effect
by Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada
- 1021-1025 A note on the 'natural rate of subjective inequality' hypothesis and the approximate relationship between the Gini coefficient and the Atkinson index
by Harvey, James
- 1027-1043 Tax structure and economic growth
by Lee, Young & Gordon, Roger H.
- 1045-1074 Second-best optimal taxation of capital and labor in a developing economy
by Garcia Penalosa, Cecilia & Turnovsky, Stephen J.
- 1075-1095 Ageing, fertility, and growth
by Alders, Peter & Broer, D. Peter
- 1097-1129 Consumption externalities, production externalities, and long-run macroeconomic efficiency
by Liu, Wen-Fang & Turnovsky, Stephen J.
- 1133-1154 Erratum to "Competition, incentives, and public school productivity"
by McMillan, Robert
2005, Volume 89, Issue 4
- 567-570 Cornell-ISPE Conference on Public Finance and Development
by Kanbur, Ravi & Keen, Michael
- 571-597 Fiscal deficits and growth in developing countries
by Adam, Christopher S. & Bevan, David L.
- 599-623 On selective indirect tax reform in developing countries
by Emran, M. Shahe & Stiglitz, Joseph E.
- 625-646 Taxation base in developing countries
by Auriol, Emmanuelle & Warlters, Michael
- 647-674 Tax/subsidy policies toward vector-borne infectious diseases
by Gersovitz, Mark & Hammer, Jeffrey S.
- 675-704 Decentralizing antipoverty program delivery in developing countries
by Bardhan, Pranab & Mookherjee, Dilip
- 705-727 Decentralized targeting of an antipoverty program
by Galasso, Emanuela & Ravallion, Martin
2005, Volume 89, Issue 2-3
- 159-196 The design of transnational public good mechanisms for developing countries
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Martimort, David
- 197-210 White elephants
by Robinson, James A. & Torvik, Ragnar
- 211-231 Commons as insurance and the welfare impact of privatization
by Baland, Jean-Marie & Francois, Patrick
- 233-259 Strategic choice of financing systems in regulated and interconnected industries
by Bassanini, Anna & Pouyet, Jerome
- 261-282 Global warming and hyperbolic discounting
by Karp, Larry
- 283-301 Individual option prices for climate change mitigation
by Cameron, Trudy Ann
- 303-325 Is there a daily discount rate? Evidence from the food stamp nutrition cycle
by Shapiro, Jesse M.
- 327-350 Peer effects in medical school
by Arcidiacono, Peter & Nicholson, Sean
- 351-380 School vouchers in practice: competition will not hurt you
by Sandstrom, F. Mikael & Bergstrom, Fredrik
- 381-394 Food for thought: the effects of school accountability plans on school nutrition
by Figlio, David N. & Winicki, Joshua
- 395-425 Optimal incentives for labor force participation
by Chone, Philippe & Laroque, Guy
- 427-440 Financial incentives and retirement: evidence from federal civil service workers
by Asch, Beth & Haider, Steven J. & Zissimopoulos, Julie
- 441-463 The social security early entitlement age in a structural model of retirement and wealth
by Gustman, Alan L. & Steinmeier, Thomas L.
- 465-485 Life-cycle earnings, cohort size effects and social security: a quantitative exploration
by Rojas, Juan A.
- 487-500 Wage-shifting effects of severance payments savings accounts in Colombia
by Kugler, Adriana D.
- 501-528 Tiebout and redistribution in a model of residential and political choice
by Kessler, Anke S. & Lulfesmann, Christoph
- 529-544 The spillover effects of state spending
by Baicker, Katherine
- 545-566 Revealed community equivalence scales
by Olken, Benjamin A.
2005, Volume 89, Issue 1
- 1-3 Editorial Introduction for Tax and Transfer Special Issue
by Meyer, Bruce D.
- 5-29 When financial work incentives pay for themselves: evidence from a randomized social experiment for welfare recipients
by Michalopoulos, Charles & Robins, Philip K. & Card, David
- 31-56 Children's welfare exposure and subsequent development
by Levine, Phillip B. & Zimmerman, David J.
- 57-83 The effect of Medicaid expansions for low-income children on Medicaid participation and private insurance coverage: evidence from the SIPP
by Ham, John C. & Shore-Sheppard, Lara
- 85-108 Medicaid managed care: effects on children's Medicaid coverage and utilization
by Currie, Janet & Fahr, John
- 109-129 Public insurance and child hospitalizations: access and efficiency effects
by Dafny, Leemore & Gruber, Jonathan
- 131-156 Housing mobility programs and economic self-sufficiency: Evidence from a randomized experiment
by Ludwig, Jens & Duncan, Greg J. & Pinkston, Joshua C.
- v-v Editorial Announcement
by Boadway, Robin & Poterba, James
2004, Volume 88, Issue 12
- 2361-2382 An economic theory of leadership turnover
by Gallego, M. & Pitchik, C.
- 2383-2422 Term limits and pork barrel politics
by Bernhardt, Dan & Dubey, Sangita & Hughson, Eric
- 2423-2445 Paying politicians
by Messner, Matthias & Polborn, Mattias K.
- 2447-2468 Does right or left matter? Cabinets, credibility and fiscal adjustments
by Tavares, Jose
- 2469-2485 Aging population and education finance
by Gradstein, Mark & Kaganovich, Michael
- 2487-2514 The welfare implications of increasing disability insurance benefit generosity
by Bound, John & Cullen, Julie Berry & Nichols, Austin & Schmidt, Lucie
- 2515-2547 Minimum standards, insurance regulation and adverse selection: evidence from the Medigap market
by Finkelstein, Amy
- 2549-2572 Does contracting out increase the efficiency of government programs? Evidence from Medicaid HMOs
by Duggan, Mark
- 2573-2585 Networks or neighborhoods? Correlations in the use of publicly-funded maternity care in California
by Aizer, Anna & Currie, Janet
- 2587-2616 Benefit entitlement and unemployment duration: The role of policy endogeneity
by Lalive, Rafael & Zweimuller, Josef
- 2617-2634 Do estate and gift taxes affect the timing of private transfers?
by Bernheim, B. Douglas & Lemke, Robert J. & Scholz, John Karl
- 2635-2655 Pay or pray? The impact of charitable subsidies on religious attendance
by Gruber, Jonathan
- 2657-2684 The optimal treatment of tax expenditures
by Saez, Emmanuel
- 2685-2710 Endogenous human capital accumulation, comparative advantage and direct vs. indirect redistribution
by Naito, Hisahiro
- 2711-2725 Efficient taxation, wage bargaining and policy coordination
by Aronsson, Thomas & Sjogren, Tomas
- 2727-2744 Foreign direct investment in a world of multiple taxes
by Desai, Mihir A. & Foley, C. Fritz & Hines, James Jr.
- 2745-2763 Preferential trade agreements and tax competition for foreign direct investment
by Raff, Horst
- 2765-2783 The capital gain lock-in effect and perfect substitutes
by Klein, Peter
- 2785-2799 An experimental evaluation of tax-reporting schedules: a case of evidence-based tax administration
by Wenzel, Michael & Taylor, Natalie
- 2801-2816 The role of warnings in regulation: keeping control with less punishment
by Nyborg, Karine & Telle, Kjetil
- 2817-2838 On the bad reputation of reputational concerns
by Suurmond, Guido & Swank, Otto H. & Visser, Bauke
- 2839-2855 Volunteering a public service: an experimental investigation
by Bilodeau, Marc & Childs, Jason & Mestelman, Stuart
- 2857-2871 Local governance and public goods provision in rural China
by Zhang, Xiaobo & Fan, Shenggen & Zhang, Linxiu & Huang, Jikun
2004, Volume 88, Issue 11
- 2223-2225 Editorial
by Blundell, Richard & Gordon, Roger
- 2227-2258 The optimal taxation of unskilled labor with job search and social assistance
by Boone, Jan & Bovenberg, Lans
- 2259-2281 Social security, retirement age and optimal income taxation
by Cremer, Helmuth & Lozachmeur, Jean-Marie & Pestieau, Pierre
- 2283-2299 The impact of the corporate income tax: evidence from state organizational form data
by Goolsbee, Austan
- 2301-2322 The effects of progressive income taxation on job turnover
by Gentry, William M. & Hubbard, R. Glenn
- 2323-2338 Work costs and nonconvex preferences in the estimation of labor supply models
by Heim, Bradley T. & Meyer, Bruce D.
- 2339-2359 A simulation-based welfare loss calculation for labor taxes with piecewise-linear budgets
by Fullerton, Don & Gan, Li
2004, Volume 88, Issue 9-10
- 1667-1695 Does education improve citizenship? Evidence from the United States and the United Kingdom
by Milligan, Kevin & Moretti, Enrico & Oreopoulos, Philip
- 1697-1720 Are there civic returns to education?
by Dee, Thomas S.
- 1721-1746 Disruption versus Tiebout improvement: the costs and benefits of switching schools
by Hanushek, Eric A. & Kain, John F. & Rivkin, Steven G.
- 1747-1769 Using market valuation to assess public school spending
by Barrow, Lisa & Rouse, Cecilia Elena
- 1771-1792 Do federal grants boost school spending? Evidence from Title I
by Gordon, Nora
- 1793-1814 In-state versus out-of-state students: the divergence of interest between public universities and state governments
by Groen, Jeffrey A. & White, Michelle J.
- 1815-1834 Do high grading standards affect student performance?
by Figlio, David N. & Lucas, Maurice E.
- 1835-1848 Home alone: supervision after school and child behavior
by Aizer, Anna
- 1849-1869 The macroeconomics of early retirement
by Conde-Ruiz, J. Ignacio & Galasso, Vincenzo
- 1871-1892 Competition, incentives, and public school productivity
by McMillan, Robert
- 1893-1915 Asset allocation and asset location: household evidence from the survey of consumer finances
by Bergstresser, Daniel & Poterba, James
- 1917-1929 Gift taxes and lifetime transfers: time series evidence
by Joulfaian, David
- 1931-1958 Taxes and the labor market participation of married couples: the earned income tax credit
by Eissa, Nada & Hoynes, Hilary Williamson
- 1959-1987 Tax incidence when individuals are time-inconsistent: the case of cigarette excise taxes
by Gruber, Jonathan & Koszegi, Botond
- 1989-2007 The impact of separate taxation on the intra-household allocation of assets: evidence from the UK
by Stephens, Melvin Jr & Ward-Batts, Jennifer
- 2009-2042 Inequality and happiness: are Europeans and Americans different?
by Alesina, Alberto & Di Tella, Rafael & MacCulloch, Robert
- 2043-2066 An empirical analysis of imprisoning drug offenders
by Kuziemko, Ilyana & Levitt, Steven D.
- 2067-2097 Privatization, competition, and corruption: how characteristics of bribe takers and payers affect bribes to utilities
by Clarke, George R. G. & Xu, Lixin Colin
- 2099-2123 When information dominates comparison: Learning from Russian subjective panel data
by Senik, Claudia
- 2125-2157 A comparison between economic systems with an application to transition
by Duranton, Gilles & Haniotis, Toni
- 2159-2180 A theory of impact philanthropy
by Duncan, Brian
- 2181-2192 Using nonprofit organization-level financial data to infer managers' fund-raising strategies
by Tinkelman, Daniel
- 2193-2219 How responsive are private transfers to income? Evidence from a laissez-faire economy
by Cox, Donald & Hansen, Bruce E. & Jimenez, Emmanuel
- 2221-2221 Erratum to "Editorial introduction" [J. Public Econ. 88 (2004) 895-897]
by Auerbach, Alan J.
2004, Volume 88, Issue 7-8
- 1215-1245 Competition between private and public schools: testing stratification and pricing predictions
by Epple, Dennis & Figlio, David & Romano, Richard
- 1247-1272 Does competition between hospitals improve the quality of care?: Hospital death rates and the NHS internal market
by Propper, Carol & Burgess, Simon & Green, Katherine
- 1273-1293 How elastic is the firm's demand for health insurance?
by Gruber, Jonathan & Lettau, Michael
- 1295-1306 Opting out of social security
by Smetters, Kent & Walliser, Jan
- 1307-1333 Do changes in pension incentives affect retirement? A longitudinal study of subjective retirement expectations
by Chan, Sewin & Stevens, Ann Huff
- 1335-1357 The pay-as-you-go pension system as fertility insurance and an enforcement device
by Sinn, Hans-Werner
- 1359-1386 Well-being over time in Britain and the USA
by Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J.
- 1387-1420 The effects of welfare and tax reform: the material well-being of single mothers in the 1980s and 1990s
by Meyer, Bruce D. & Sullivan, James X.
- 1421-1443 Food insecurity and public assistance
by Borjas, George J.
- 1445-1470 On the compassion of time-limited welfare programs
by Fang, Hanming & Silverman, Dan
- 1471-1493 Tightening a welfare system: the effects of benefit denial on future welfare receipt
by Green, David A. & Warburton, William P.
- 1495-1520 Welfare benefits and the duration of welfare spells: evidence from a natural experiment in Canada
by Fortin, Bernard & Lacroix, Guy & Drolet, Simon
- 1521-1542 Locational choice of AFDC recipients within California: a conditional logit analysis
by O'Keefe, Suzanne
- 1543-1565 The asset price incidence of capital gains taxes: evidence from the Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 and publicly-traded real estate firms
by Sinai, Todd & Gyourko, Joseph
- 1567-1588 The incidence of personal income taxation: evidence from the tax reform act of 1986
by Kubik, Jeffrey D.
- 1589-1604 Who wants political integration?: Evidence from the Swedish EU-membership referendum
by Vlachos, Jonas
- 1605-1623 Public goods experiments without confidentiality: a glimpse into fund-raising
by Andreoni, James & Petrie, Ragan
- 1625-1644 The impact of social approval and framing on cooperation in public good situations
by Rege, Mari & Telle, Kjetil
- 1645-1664 Voting when money and morals conflict: an experimental test of expressive voting
by Tyran, Jean-Robert
- 1665-1665 Corrigendum to "The politics of redistribute social insurance" [J. Public Economics 87 (2003) 2639-2660]
by DeDonder, Phillippe & Hindriks, Jean
2004, Volume 88, Issue 6
- 1065-1091 Capital tax competition: bane or boon
by Wilson, John Douglas & Wildasin, David E.
- 1093-1118 Are international deposits tax-driven
by Huizinga, Harry & Nicodeme, Gaetan
- 1119-1148 Asymmetric FDI and tax-treaty bargaining: theory and evidence
by Chisik, Richard & Davies, Ronald B.
- 1149-1168 Income shifting, investment, and tax competition: theory and evidence from provincial taxation in Canada
by Mintz, Jack & Smart, Michael
- 1169-1186 Are corporate tax rates, or countries, converging?
by Slemrod, Joel
- 1187-1214 International tax coordination: regionalism versus globalism
by Sorensen, Peter Birch
2004, Volume 88, Issue 5
- 899-923 US income taxation of new financial products
by Warren, Alvin Jr
- 925-955 The tax (dis)advantage of a firm issuing options on its own stock
by McDonald, Robert L.
- 957-980 Generalized cash-flow taxation
by Auerbach, Alan J. & Bradford, David F.
- 981-1009 Do we now collect any revenue from taxing capital income?
by Gordon, Roger & Kalambokidis, Laura & Slemrod, Joel
- 1011-1042 Start-ups, venture capitalists, and the capital gains tax
by Keuschnigg, Christian & Nielsen, Soren Bo
- 1043-1059 On the timeliness of tax reform
by Hines, James Jr.
2004, Volume 88, Issue 3-4
- 443-464 Optimal taxation, prudence and risk-sharing
by Low, Hamish & Maldoom, Daniel
- 465-479 Income taxation in a frictional labor market
by Shapiro, Joel
- 481-501 Unemployment compensation finance and labor market rigidity
by Cahuc, Pierre & Malherbet, Franck
- 503-518 Direct or indirect tax instruments for redistribution: short-run versus long-run
by Saez, Emmanuel
- 519-543 Taxes and the quality of capital
by Goolsbee, Austan
- 545-557 Optimum taxation and the allocation of time
by Kleven, Henrik Jacobsen
- 559-576 The optimal threshold for a value-added tax
by Keen, Michael & Mintz, Jack
- 577-600 Tacit collusion and international commodity taxation
by Haufler, Andreas & Schjelderup, Guttorm
- 601-627 A theory of markets, institutions, and endogenous preferences
by Palacios-Huerta, Ignacio & Santos, Tano J.
- 629-644 Efficient mechanisms for multiple public goods
by Mutuswami, Suresh & Winter, Eyal
- 645-666 Voluntary provision of a public good and individual morality
by Bilodeau, Marc & Gravel, Nicolas
- 667-694 Essential facility financing and market structure
by Caillaud, Bernard & Tirole, Jean
- 695-712 On the macroeconomic implications of maintenance in public capital
by Kalaitzidakis, Pantelis & Kalyvitis, Sarantis
- 713-725 Emission taxes and optimal refunding schemes
by Gersbach, Hans & Requate, Till
- 727-734 On atmosphere externality and corrective taxes
by Sheshinski, Eytan
- 735-757 Distributional effects of alternative vehicle pollution control policies
by West, Sarah E.
- 759-782 Bad politicians
by Caselli, Francesco & Morelli, Massimo
- 783-797 An empirical investigation of coalitional bargaining procedures
by Diermeier, Daniel & Merlo, Antonio
- 799-817 The political economy of policy centralization: direct versus representative democracy
by Redoano, Michela & Scharf, Kimberly A.
- 819-843 State corroding federalism
by Cai, Hongbin & Treisman, Daniel
- 845-866 Parochial interests and the centralized provision of local public goods: evidence from congressional voting on transportation projects
by Knight, Brian
- 867-893 Does decentralization increase government responsiveness to local needs?: Evidence from Bolivia
by Faguet, Jean-Paul
2004, Volume 88, Issue 1-2
- 1-21 Estate taxation with intended and accidental bequests
by Blumkin, Tomer & Sadka, Efraim
- 23-38 Asset location in tax-deferred and conventional savings accounts
by Shoven, John B. & Sialm, Clemens
- 39-61 Individual financial decisions in retirement saving plans: the role of participant-direction
by Papke, Leslie E.
- 63-88 The impact of asset-tested college financial aid on household savings
by Long, Mark
- 89-112 Do private transfers 'displace' the benefits of public transfers? Evidence from South Africa
by Jensen, Robert T.
- 113-129 Does international coordination of pension policies boost capital accumulation?
by Beltrametti, Luca & Bonatti, Luigi
- 131-159 Ageing, migration and endogenous public pensions
by Leers, Theo & Meijdam, Lex & Verbon, Harrie A. A.
- 161-174 Gerontocracy revisited: unilateral transfer to the young may benefit the middle-aged
by Poutvaara, Panu
- 175-208 Equivalent-expenditure functions and expenditure-dependent equivalence scales
by Donaldson, David & Pendakur, Krishna
- 209-236 The health implications of social security failure: evidence from the Russian pension crisis
by Jensen, Robert T. & Richter, Kaspar
- 237-254 How has small group market reform affected employee health insurance coverage?
by Monheit, Alan C. & Steinberg Schone, Barbara
- 255-283 The subsidiarity bias in regulation
by Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Pouyet, Jerome
- 285-303 Optimal risk allocation for regulated monopolies and consumers
by Cowan, Simon
- 305-332 Privatisation around the world: evidence from panel data
by Bortolotti, Bernardo & Fantini, Marcella & Siniscalco, Domenico
- 333-352 Public rationing and private cost incentives
by Ma, Ching-to Albert
- 353-375 Local public works and intergovernmental transfers under asymmetric information
by Besfamille, Martin
- 377-394 Good, bad or ugly? On the effects of fiscal rules with creative accounting
by Milesi-Ferretti, Gian Maria
- 395-418 Labor market institutions, taxation and the underground economy
by Fugazza, Marco & Jacques, Jean-Francois
- 419-442 Are individual investors tax savvy? Evidence from retail and discount brokerage accounts
by Barber, Brad M. & Odean, Terrance
2003, Volume 87, Issue 12
- 2589-2610 Lobbying under political uncertainty
by Le Breton, Michel & Salanie, Francois
- 2611-2637 Centralized versus decentralized provision of local public goods: a political economy approach
by Besley, Timothy & Coate, Stephen
- 2639-2660 The politics of redistributive social insurance
by Hindriks, Jean & De Donder, Philippe
- 2661-2675 The cyclical behaviour of fiscal policy: evidence from the OECD
by Lane, Philip R.
- 2677-2701 Budget institutions and political insulation: why states adopt the item veto
by de Figueiredo, Rui Jr.
- 2703-2724 Budget referendums and government spending: evidence from Swiss cantons
by Feld, Lars P. & Matsusaka, John G.
- 2725-2736 A bargaining model of voluntary environmental agreements
by Manzini, Paola & Mariotti, Marco
- 2737-2747 International emissions trading with endogenous allowance choices
by Helm, Carsten
- 2749-2764 Optimal taxation, global externalities and labor mobility
by Aronsson, Thomas & Blomquist, Soren
- 2765-2789 Irreversible abatement investment under cost uncertainties: tradable emission permits and emissions charges
by Zhao, Jinhua
- 2791-2815 Environmental taxes with heterogeneous consumers: an application to energy consumption in France
by Cremer, Helmuth & Gahvari, Firouz & Ladoux, Norbert
2003, Volume 87, Issue 11
- 2397-2397 Editorial Introduction-ISPE conference, June 2000
by Boadway, Robin & Pestieau, Pierre
- 2399-2406 Comorbidities and the willingness to pay for health improvements
by Bleichrodt, Han & Crainich, David & Eeckhoudt, Louis