Journal of Development Economics
Contact information of Elsevier:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/devec
Download restrictions: Full text for ScienceDirect subscribers only
Additional information is available for the following
registered editor(s): Mark R. Rosenzweig
For corrections or technical questions regarding this series, please contact (Zhang, Lei)
Series handle: repec:eee:deveco
Citations RSS feed: at CitEc
Impact factors: Simple, Recursive, Discounted, Recursive discounted, H-Index, Aggregate
Access and download statistics
Top item: By citations. By downloads (last 12 months).
2007, Volume 83, Issue 1
- 214-239 Inequality and outside options in common-property resource use
by Tarui, Nori
- 240-251 Purchasing power parity and country characteristics: Evidence from panel data tests
by Alba, Joseph D. & Papell, David H.
2007, Volume 82, Issue 2
- 267-286 Conflict diamonds
by Olsson, Ola
- 287-314 The political economy of public goods: Some evidence from India
by Banerjee, Abhijit & Somanathan, Rohini
- 315-347 Poverty traps, aid, and growth
by Kraay, Aart & Raddatz, Claudio
- 348-373 Improving credibility by delegating judicial competence--the case of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council
by Voigt, Stefan & Ebeling, Michael & Blume, Lorenz
- 374-392 How transition paths differ: Enterprise performance in Russia and China
by Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Estrin, Saul
- 393-415 Intellectual property rights and quality improvement
by Glass, Amy Jocelyn & Wu, Xiaodong
- 416-447 Property rights and the political organization of agriculture
by Conning, Jonathan H. & Robinson, James A.
- 448-463 Coffee production effects on child labor and schooling in rural Brazil
by Kruger, Diana I.
- 464-484 Does delegation of fiscal policy to an independent agency make a difference? Evidence from intergovernmental transfers in India
by Khemani, Stuti
- 485-508 On the trade impact of nominal exchange rate volatility
by Tenreyro, Silvana
- 509-528 Migration networks and microenterprises in Mexico
by Woodruff, Christopher & Zenteno, Rene
2007, Volume 82, Issue 1
- 1-42 China's (uneven) progress against poverty
by Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua
- 43-57 Clusters and comparative advantage: Implications for industrial policy
by Rodriguez-Clare, Andres
- 58-78 The curse and blessing of fixed specific factors in small-open economies
by Guillo, Maria Dolores & Perez-Sebastian, Fidel
- 79-94 Market access for sale
by Kee, Hiau Looi & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Silva, Peri
- 95-119 Who gains from non-collusive corruption?
by Foellmi, Reto & Oechslin, Manuel
- 120-137 Roscas as financial agreements to cope with self-control problems
by Ambec, Stefan & Treich, Nicolas
- 138-155 Endogenous gender power, household labor supply and the demographic transition
by Iyigun, Murat & Walsh, Randall P.
- 156-179 Winners and losers in the commodity lottery: The impact of terms of trade growth and volatility in the Periphery 1870-1939
by Blattman, Christopher & Hwang, Jason & Williamson, Jeffrey G.
- 180-199 Emigration and wages in source countries: Evidence from Mexico
by Mishra, Prachi
- 200-233 How do market reforms affect China's responsiveness to environmental policy?
by Fisher-Vanden, Karen & Ho, Mun S.
- 234-244 Can debt crises be self-fulfilling?
by Chamon, Marcos
- 245-256 Measuring pro-poor growth when relative prices shift
by Gunther, Isabel & Grimm, Michael
- 257-266 Trading places: Does past growth impact inequality?
by Chambers, Dustin
2006, Volume 81, Issue 2
- 259-298 Learning the master's trade: Apprenticeship and human capital in Ghana
by Frazer, Garth
- 299-315 Profits and politics: Coordinating technology adoption in agriculture
by Pande, Rohini
- 316-336 High corruption income in Ming and Qing China
by Ni, Shawn & Van, Pham Hoang
- 337-356 Risk-sharing networks and insurance against illness
by De Weerdt, Joachim & Dercon, Stefan
- 357-385 Empirics of hills, plateaus, mountains and plains: A Markov-switching approach to growth
by Jerzmanowski, Michal
- 386-414 Child labor and schooling responses to anticipated income in South Africa
by Edmonds, Eric V.
- 415-437 Confronting the risk of asset loss: What role do livestock transfers in northern Kenya play?
by McPeak, John
- 438-456 Endogenous determination of public budget allocation across education stages
by Su, Xuejuan
- 457-477 Activism, separation of powers and development
by Mishra, Ajit & Anant, T.C.A.
- 478-499 Beneficial collusion in corruption control: The case of nonmonetary penalties
by Bac, Mehmet & Bag, Parimal Kanti
- 500-513 Risk preference, immigration policy and illegal immigration
by Woodland, Alan D. & Yoshida, Chisato
- 514-526 Foreign direct investment and technology spillovers: Evidence from panel data analysis of manufacturing firms in Zambia
by Bwalya, Samuel Mulenga
2006, Volume 81, Issue 1
- 1-24 Economic reform, growth and the poor: Evidence from rural Ethiopia
by Dercon, Stefan
- 25-60 Is life more risky in the open? Household risk-coping and the opening of China's labor markets
by Giles, John
- 61-79 Policy reform and productivity change in Chinese agriculture: A distance function approach
by Brummer, B. & Glauben, T. & Lu, W.
- 80-96 Child labor and agricultural shocks
by Beegle, Kathleen & Dehejia, Rajeev H. & Gatti, Roberta
- 97-117 Why did wage inequality increase? Evidence from urban India 1983-99
by Kijima, Yoko
- 118-141 Trade, skill acquisition and distribution
by Das, Satya P.
- 142-162 Quantifying the impact of services liberalization in a developing country
by Konan, Denise Eby & Maskus, Keith E.
- 163-192 What matters for financial development? Capital controls, institutions, and interactions
by Chinn, Menzie D. & Ito, Hiro
- 193-212 Corruption, competition and democracy
by Emerson, Patrick M.
- 213-235 Democracy and environmental quality
by Farzin, Y. Hossein & Bond, Craig A.
- 236-243 "A note on soil depth, failing markets and agricultural pricing": Comment
by Lichtenberg, Erik
- 244-258 Employment with connections: Negative network effects
by Kono, Hisaki
2006, Volume 80, Issue 2
- 275-298 Strategic interaction in undeveloped credit markets
by Andersen, Thomas Barnebeck & Malchow-Moller, Nikolaj
- 299-328 Institutions, education, and development: The role of entrepreneurs
by Dias, Joilson & McDermott, John
- 329-349 Families and firms: Agency costs and labor market imperfections in Sialkot's surgical industry
by Ilias, Nauman
- 350-388 How migration restrictions limit agglomeration and productivity in China
by Au, Chun-Chung & Henderson, J. Vernon
- 389-427 Changes in the structure of earnings during the Polish transition
by Keane, Michael P. & Prasad, Eswar S.
- 428-443 The size and development of the shadow economy: An empirical investigation from states of India
by Chaudhuri, Kausik & Schneider, Friedrich & Chattopadhyay, Sumana
- 444-477 Spillovers from foreign direct investment: Within or between industries?
by Kugler, Maurice
- 478-500 On the real effects of inflation and inflation uncertainty in Mexico
by Grier, Robin & Grier, Kevin B.
- 501-517 Expansions and contractions in Brazil, Colombia and Mexico: A view through nonlinear models
by Arango, Luis E. & Melo, Luis F.
- 518-526 State of the "life span revolution" between 1980 and 2000
by Ram, Rati
2006, Volume 80, Issue 1
- 1-38 Social norms and the fertility transition
by Munshi, Kaivan & Myaux, Jacques
- 39-58 Real options and demographic decisions
by Iyer, Sriya & Velu, Chander
- 59-83 Estimating spatial differences in the Brazilian cost of living with household location choices
by Timmins, Christopher
- 84-105 Here today, gone tomorrow: Can dynamic incentives make microfinance more flexible?
by Alexander Tedeschi, Gwendolyn
- 106-135 Effects of rotation scheme on fishing behaviour with price discrimination and limited durability: Theory and evidence
by Seki, Erika
- 136-159 The effects of the minimum wage in Brazil on the distribution of family incomes: 1996-2001
by Neumark, David & Cunningham, Wendy & Siga, Lucas
- 160-178 Why don't firms export more? Product quality and Colombian plants
by Brooks, Eileen L.
- 179-197 On the provision of official and private foreign aid
by Schweinberger, Albert G. & Lahiri, Sajal
- 198-227 When is growth pro-poor? Evidence from a panel of countries
by Kraay, Aart
- 228-250 AIDS and economic growth: A human capital approach
by McDonald, Scott & Roberts, Jennifer
- 251-268 A natural experiment for identifying the impact of 'natural' trade barriers on exports
by Milner, Chris & Zgovu, Evious
- 269-274 Interest on reserves and inflation
by Liviatan, Nissan & Frish, Roni
2006, Volume 79, Issue 2
- 273-302 Subcontractors for tractors: Theory and evidence on flexible specialization, supplier selection, and contracting
by Andrabi, Tahir & Ghatak, Maitreesh & Khwaja, Asim Ijaz
- 303-327 Pro-poor targeting and accountability of local governments in West Bengal
by Bardhan, Pranab & Mookherjee, Dilip
- 328-348 Guard labor
by Jayadev, Arjun & Bowles, Samuel
- 349-373 Can conditional cash transfer programs serve as safety nets in keeping children at school and from working when exposed to shocks?
by de Janvry, Alain & Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & Vakis, Renos
- 374-397 Child labor, urban proximity, and household composition
by Fafchamps, Marcel & Wahba, Jackline
- 398-412 Bargaining power and enforcement in credit markets
by Genicot, Garance & Ray, Debraj
- 413-446 Consumption smoothing? Livestock, insurance and drought in rural Burkina Faso
by Kazianga, Harounan & Udry, Christopher
- 447-468 Political foundations of the resource curse
by Robinson, James A. & Torvik, Ragnar & Verdier, Thierry
- 469-491 Intermediation by aid agencies
by Rowat, Colin & Seabright, Paul
- v-v Editorial
by Besley, Timothy & Rosenzweig, Mark
2006, Volume 79, Issue 1
- 1-25 The desire for land: Strategic lending with adverse selection
by Bell, Clive & Clemenz, Gerhard
- 26-72 Human capital and economic development
by Tamura, Robert
- 73-117 Motives for household private transfers in Burkina Faso
by Kazianga, H.
- 118-145 The demand for primary schooling in Madagascar: Price, quality, and the choice between public and private providers
by Glick, Peter & Sahn, David E.
- 146-167 On the prevalence of trends in primary commodity prices
by Kellard, Neil & Wohar, Mark E.
- 168-182 Inflation before and after central bank independence: The case of Colombia
by Otero, Jesus & Ramirez, Manuel
- 183-207 Financial globalization and debt maturity in emerging economies
by Schmukler, Sergio L. & Vesperoni, Esteban
- 208-224 Revisiting the interest rate-exchange rate nexus: a Markov-switching approach
by Chen, Shiu-Sheng
- 225-248 Sudden stops and the Mexican wave: Currency crises, capital flow reversals and output loss in emerging markets
by Hutchison, Michael M. & Noy, Ilan
- 249-263 Samaritan agents? On the strategic delegation of aid policy
by Hagen, Rune Jansen
- 264-272 Introducing uncertainty into Baland and Robinson's model of child labour
by Pouliot, William
2005, Volume 78, Issue 2
- 271-298 Competition and microfinance
by McIntosh, Craig & Wydick, Bruce
- 299-321 Informal sector: The credit market channel
by Straub, Stéphane
- 322-347 Credit rationing and capital accumulation with investment and consumption loans revisited
by Hung, Fu-Sheng
- 348-383 Which doctor? Combining vignettes and item response to measure clinical competence
by Das, Jishnu & Hammer, Jeffrey
- 384-405 Can redistributing teachers across schools raise educational attainment? Evidence from Operation Blackboard in India
by Chin, Aimee
- 406-442 Increasing returns and market efficiency in agricultural trade
by Fafchamps, Marcel & Gabre-Madhin, Eleni & Minten, Bart
- 443-473 Density, social networks and job search methods: Theory and application to Egypt
by Wahba, Jackline & Zenou, Yves
- 474-493 Intellectual property rights and innovation in developing countries
by Chen, Yongmin & Puttitanun, Thitima
- 494-515 Optimal Dutch disease
by Matsen, Egil & Torvik, Ragnar
- 516-528 Inflation and income inequality: A shopping-time approach
by Cysne, Rubens P. & Maldonado, Wilfredo L. & Monteiro, Paulo Klinger
- 529-547 International trade, economic growth and intellectual property rights: A panel data study of developed and developing countries
by Schneider, Patricia Higino
2005, Volume 78, Issue 1
- 1-21 The perversity of preferences: GSP and developing country trade policies, 1976-2000
by Ozden, Caglar & Reinhardt, Eric
- 22-48 The big push, industrialization and international trade: The role of exports
by Trindade, Vitor
- 49-59 Testing for trends in the terms of trade between primary commodities and manufactured goods
by Zanias, George P.
- 60-94 The transition to a globalized economy: Poverty, human capital and the informal sector in a structuralist CGE model
by Gibson, Bill
- 95-113 Investment, devaluation, and foreign currency exposure: The case of Mexico
by Aguiar, Mark
- 114-132 Private sector involvement in the resolution of financial crises: How do markets react?
by Tillmann, Peter
- 133-155 Bank privatization in Argentina: A model of political constraints and differential outcomes
by Clarke, George R.G. & Cull, Robert
- 156-190 Tax base variability and procyclical fiscal policy in developing countries
by Talvi, Ernesto & Vegh, Carlos A.
- 191-214 Intergenerational transfers and demographic transition
by Blackburn, Keith & Cipriani, Giam Pietro
- 215-240 Self-selection among undocumented immigrants from Mexico
by Orrenius, Pia M. & Zavodny, Madeline
- 241-270 The potential of land rental markets in the process of economic development: Evidence from China
by Deininger, Klaus & Jin, Songqing
2005, Volume 77, Issue 2
- 297-323 An economic profile of peasant perpetrators of genocide: Micro-level evidence from Rwanda
by Verwimp, Philip
- 325-340 Crime induced poverty traps
by Mehlum, Halvor & Moene, Karl & Torvik, Ragnar
- 341-366 Private enforcement and social efficiency
by Anderson, James E. & Bandiera, Oriana
- 367-387 Property rights, mobile capital, and comparative advantage
by Karp, Larry
- 389-414 Parental human capital investment and old-age transfers from children: Is it a loan contract or reciprocity for Indonesian families?
by Raut, Lakshmi K. & Tran, Lien H.
- 415-439 Group-lending: Sequential financing, lender monitoring and joint liability
by Chowdhury, Prabal Roy
- 441-466 The influence of capital controls on long run growth: Where and how much?
by Chanda, Areendam
- 467-476 Opposition to FDI and financial shocks
by Aizenman, Joshua
- 477-501 Foreign direct investment and international trade in a continuum Ricardian trade model
by Cheng, Leonard K. & Qiu, Larry D. & Tan, Guofu
- 503-515 Foreign economic aid; should donors cooperate?
by Torsvik, Gaute
- 517-531 The 'appropriate technology' explanation of productivity growth differentials: An empirical approach
by Los, Bart & Timmer, Marcel P.
- 533-551 Do more open economies have bigger governments? Another look
by Garen, John & Trask, Kathleen
- 553-570 Does Africa grow slower than Asia, Latin America and the Middle East? Evidence from a new data-based classification method
by Paap, Richard & Franses, Philip Hans & van Dijk, Dick
2005, Volume 77, Issue 1
- 1-25 Assets at marriage in rural Ethiopia
by Fafchamps, Marcel & Quisumbing, Agnes
- 27-51 Measuring the poverty reduction potential of land in rural Mexico
by Finan, Frederico & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain
- 53-73 Poverty-dominant program reforms: the role of targeting and allocation rules
by Duclos, Jean-Yves & Makdissi, Paul & Wodon, Quentin
- 75-106 Agricultural sector and industrial agglomeration
by Picard, Pierre M. & Zeng, Dao-Zhi
- 107-124 AIDS crisis and growth
by Corrigan, Paul & Glomm, Gerhard & Mendez, Fabio
- 125-152 Trade, capital accumulation and structural unemployment: an empirical study of the Singapore economy
by Kee, Hiau Looi & Hoon, Hian Teck
- 153-171 Obsolescence and modernization in the growth process
by Boucekkine, Raouf & del Rio, Fernando & Licandro, Omar
- 173-188 Endogenous growth and the emergence of equity finance
by Bose, Niloy
- 189-206 One reason countries pay their debts: renegotiation and international trade
by Rose, Andrew K.
- 207-228 Trade, foreign direct investment or acquisition: Optimal entry modes for multinationals
by Eicher, Theo & Kang, Jong Woo
- 229-249 Inflation, openness, and exchange-rate regimes: The quest for short-term commitment
by Alfaro, Laura
- 251-256 Brain drain and economic growth: theory and evidence: a comment
by Hemmi, Noriyoshi
- 257-275 Why Mexico's regional income convergence broke down
by Chiquiar, Daniel
- 277-292 Revenue-increasing and welfare-enhancing reform of taxes on exports
by Emran, M. Shahe
- 293-296 The IMF and its critics: reform of global financial architecture
by Joyce, Joseph P.
2005, Volume 76, Issue 2
- 265-292 Crime and local inequality in South Africa
by Demombynes, Gabriel & Ozler, Berk
- 293-323 Ethnic diversity and economic development
by Montalvo, Jose G. & Reynal-Querol, Marta
- 325-353 Educational systems, growth and income distribution: a quantitative study
by Chen, Hung-ju
- 355-375 State-contingent rent reduction and tenancy contract choice
by Arimoto, Yutaka
- 377-403 The unsupportable support price: an analysis of collusion and government intervention in paddy auction markets in North India
by Meenakshi, J.V. & Banerji, A.
- 405-428 Imperfect competition in agricultural markets: evidence from Ethiopia
by Osborne, Theresa
- 429-450 International spillovers, productivity growth and openness in Thailand: an intertemporal general equilibrium analysis
by Diao, Xinshen & Rattso, Jorn & Stokke, Hildegunn Ekroll
- 451-479 Survival of the gene, intergenerational transfers and precautionary saving
by Simon Fan, C.
- 481-501 Decentralization and macroeconomic performance in China: regional autonomy has its costs
by Feltenstein, Andrew & Iwata, Shigeru
- 503-520 Corporate debt and output pricing in developing countries: Industry-level evidence from Turkey
by Erol, Turan
- 521-542 Productivity spillovers and characteristics of foreign multinational plants in Indonesian manufacturing 1990-1995
by Takii, Sadayuki
2005, Volume 76, Issue 1
- 1-22 What did structural adjustment adjust?: The association of policies and growth with repeated IMF and World Bank adjustment loans
by Easterly, William
- 23-51 Monetary policy rules for financially vulnerable economies
by Moron, Eduardo & Winkelried, Diego
- 53-69 Sovereign default and the sustainability risk premium effect
by Akemann, Michael & Kanczuk, Fabio
- 71-96 Recovery from a currency crisis: some stylized facts
by Hong, Kiseok & Tornell, Aaron
- 97-125 Fiscal adjustment and labor market dynamics in an open economy
by Agenor, Pierre-Richard
- 127-146 A welfare economic analysis of labor market policies in the Harris-Todaro model
by Fields, Gary S.
- 147-173 Youth dependency and total factor productivity
by Kogel, Tomas
- 175-208 Production risk and the functional distribution of income in a developing economy: tradeoffs and policy responses
by Garcia-Penalosa, Cecilia & Turnovsky, Stephen J.
- 209-230 Water applications and Pigouvian taxes to control irrigation-induced soil degradation
by Janmaat, John
- 231-250 Capital structure in South Korea: a quantile regression approach
by Fattouh, Bassam & Scaramozzino, Pasquale & Harris, Laurence
- 251-263 Abstinence from child labor and profit seeking
by Davies, Ronald B.
2004, Volume 75, Issue 2
- 329-332 Productivity dynamics
by Bergoeing, Raphael & Repetto, Andrea & Edwards, Sebastian
- 333-371 The effects of structural reforms on productivity and profitability enhancing reallocation: evidence from Colombia
by Eslava, Marcela & Haltiwanger, John & Kugler, Adriana & Kugler, Maurice
- 373-396 Heterogeneous productivity response to tariff reduction. Evidence from Brazilian manufacturing firms
by Schor, Adriana
- 397-416 Learning from exporting revisited in a less developed setting
by Blalock, Garrick & Gertler, Paul J.
- 417-450 Port efficiency, maritime transport costs, and bilateral trade
by Clark, Ximena & Dollar, David & Micco, Alejandro
- 451-472 Once again, is openness good for growth?
by Lee, Ha Yan & Ricci, Luca Antonio & Rigobon, Roberto
- 473-506 Slow recoveries
by Bergoeing, Raphael & Loayza, Norman & Repetto, Andrea
- 507-533 Nominal wage rigidities in Mexico: evidence from social security records
by Castellanos, Sara G. & Garcia-Verdu, Rodrigo & Kaplan, David S.
- 535-563 Firm dynamics, investment and debt portfolio: balance sheet effects of the Mexican crisis of 1994
by Pratap, Sangeeta & Urrutia, Carlos
2004, Volume 75, Issue 1
- 1-26 Insider privatization with a tail: the screening contract and performance of privatized firms in rural China
by Li, Hongbin & Rozelle, Scott
- 27-54 Biotechnology boosts to crop productivity in China: trade and welfare implications
by Huang, Jikun & Hu, Ruifa & van Meijl, Hans & van Tongeren, Frank
- 55-77 Education technologies, wages and technological progress
by Rigolini, Jamele
- 79-94 Technology adoption, education and immigration policy
by Chander, Parkash & Thangavelu, Shandre M.
- 95-111 Mode of foreign entry, technology transfer, and FDI policy
by Mattoo, Aaditya & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Saggi, Kamal
- 113-136 Trade barriers and wage inequality in a North-South model with technology-driven intra-industry trade
by Beaulieu, Eugene & Benarroch, Michael & Gaisford, James
- 137-165 Politics, information and the urban bias
by Majumdar, Sumon & Mani, Anandi & Mukand, Sharun W.
- 167-199 Multiple growth and urbanization patterns in an endogenous growth model with spatial agglomeration
by Kondo, Hiroki
- 201-220 A theory of development and long run growth
by Kosempel, Stephen
- 221-238 The dual role of market power in the Big Push: from evidence to theory
by de Fontenay, Catherine C.
- 239-268 Commodity currencies and the real exchange rate
by Cashin, Paul & Cespedes, Luis F. & Sahay, Ratna
- 269-301 Global capital flows and financing constraints
by Harrison, Ann E. & Love, Inessa & McMillan, Margaret S.
- 303-318 The demand for a malaria vaccine: evidence from Ethiopia
by Cropper, Maureen L. & Haile, Mitiku & Lampietti, Julian & Poulos, Christine & Whittington, Dale
- 319-328 Trade and industrialization in developing economies
by Dodzin, Sergei & Vamvakidis, Athanasios
2004, Volume 74, Issue 2
- 269-307 Evaluation of financial liberalization: a general equilibrium model with constrained occupation choice
by Gine, Xavier & Townsend, Robert M.
- 309-329 Growth and shocks: evidence from rural Ethiopia
by Dercon, Stefan
- 331-366 Trade reforms and wage inequality in Colombia
by Attanasio, Orazio & Goldberg, Pinelopi K. & Pavcnik, Nina
- 367-391 Global corporations and local politics: income redistribution vs. FDI subsidies
by Janeba, Eckhard
- 393-410 Activation of a modern industry
by Wang, Ping & Xie, Danyang
- 411-428 Taxation by auction: fund raising by 19th century Indian guilds
by Sen, Arijit & Swamy, Anand V.
- 429-447 Does one size fit all?: a reexamination of the finance and growth relationship
by Rioja, Felix & Valev, Neven
- 449-468 Household bargaining and microfinance
by Tassel, Eric Van
- 469-488 Eviction threats and investment incentives
by Banerjee, Abhijit V. & Ghatak, Maitreesh
- 489-513 Are experience and schooling complementary? Evidence from migrants' assimilation in the Bangkok labor market
by Yamauchi, Futoshi
2004, Volume 74, Issue 1
- 1-2 New research on education in developing economies
by Rosenzweig, Mark & Kochar, Anjini
- 3-32 Educational policy and the economics of the family
by Banerjee, Abhijit V.