The impact of taxes and public spending on the location of FDI: evidence from FDI-flows within Europe
AbstractIn a place to place analysis of bilateral FDI flows the average company tax burden, the statutory corporation tax rate, as well as the cost of capital are used to capture the tax incentives. In addition, indicators of public spending in general and with regard to different functions of government and rankings of competitiveness related to public sector activities are used to measure the role of public service provision. The results show significant effects of tax incentives, in particular, the marginal tax burden and the statutory tax rate prove jointly significant. However, only weak indications of a countervailing effect of public expenditures are found. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 02-17.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Devereux, Michael P. & Pearson, Mark, 1995. "European tax harmonisation and production efficiency," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1657-1681, December.
- Ulrich Schreiber & Christoph Spengel & Lothar Lammersen, 2002. "Measuring The Impact Of Taxation On Investment And Financing Decisions," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 54(1), pages 2-23, January.
- Julie Collins & Douglas Shackelford, 1995. "Corporate domicile and average effective tax rates: The cases of Canada, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 55-83, February.
- Joeri Gorter & A. Parikh, 2000. "How mobile is capital within the European Union?," CPB Research Memorandum 172, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Alfons Weichenrieder, 1996. "Fighting international tax avoidance," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 17(1), pages 37-58, February.
- Timothy J. Bartik, 1991. "Who Benefits from State and Local Economic Development Policies?," Books from Upjohn Press, W.E. Upjohn Institute for Employment Research, number wbsle, October.
- Zodrow, George R. & Mieszkowski, Peter, 1986. "Pigou, Tiebout, property taxation, and the underprovision of local public goods," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 356-370, May.
- James R. Hines Jr., 1997.
"Altered States: Taxes and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in America,"
NBER Working Papers
4397, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hines, James R, Jr, 1996. "Altered States: Taxes and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in America," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(5), pages 1076-94, December.
- Devereux, Michael P. & Griffith, Rachel, 1998.
"Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 335-367, June.
- Michael Devereux & Rachel Griffith, 1996. "Taxes and the location of production: evidence from a panel of US multinationals," IFS Working Papers W96/14, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Michael P. Devereux & Rachel Griffith, 1998.
"The Taxation of Discrete Investment Choices,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
98/08, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Wendy Carlin & Andrew Glyn & John Van Reenen, 1999.
"Export Market Performance of OECD countries: an empirical examination of the role of cost competitiveness,"
IFS Working Papers
W99/22, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Carlin, Wendy & Glyn, Andrew & Van Reenen, John, 2001. "Export Market Performance of OECD Countries: An Empirical Examination of the Role of Cost Competitiveness," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(468), pages 128-62, January.
- Michael Devereux & Harold Freeman, 1995. "The impact of tax on foreign direct investment: Empirical evidence and the implications for tax integration schemes," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 85-106, February.
- Wolff, Guntram B., 2006.
"Foreign direct investment in the enlarged EU: do taxes matter and to what extent?,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2006,13, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Guntram Wolff, 2007. "Foreign Direct Investment in the Enlarged EU: Do Taxes Matter and to What Extent?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 327-346, July.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2005. "Explaining the Variation in Empirical Estimates of Tax Elasticities of Foreign Direct Investment," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-108/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Timothy J. Goodspeed & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Li Zhang, 2011.
"Public Policies and FDI Location: Differences between Developing and Developed Countries,"
Hunter College Department of Economics Working Papers
434, Hunter College: Department of Economics.
- Timothy Goodspeed & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Li Zhang, 2011. "Public Policies and FDI Location: Differences between Developing and Developed Countries," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 67(2), pages 171-191, June.
- Timothy Goodspeed & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Li Zhang, 2010. "Public Policies and FDI Location: Differences Between Developing and Developed Countries," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper1001, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Timothy Goodspeed & Jorge Martinez-Vazquez & Li Zhang, 2009. "Public Policies and FDI Location: Differences between Developing and Developed Countries," International Center for Public Policy Working Paper Series, at AYSPS, GSU paper0910, International Center for Public Policy, Andrew Young School of Policy Studies, Georgia State University.
- Wolf Wagner & Sylvester Eijffinger, 2008.
"Efficiency of capital taxation in an open economy: tax competition versus tax exportation,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 15(6), pages 637-646, December.
- Eijffinger, S.C.W. & Wagner, W.B., 2008. "Efficiency of capital taxation in an open economy: Tax competition versus tax exportation," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3125166, Tilburg University.
- Michael P Devereux, 2007. "The Impact of Taxation on the Location of Capital, Firms and Profit: a Survey of Empirical Evidence," Working Papers 0702, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Lars P. Feld & Jost Henrich Heckemeyer, 2009.
"FDI and Taxation: A Meta-Study,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2540, CESifo Group Munich.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2006. "What a difference does it make? Understanding the empirical literature on taxation and international capital flows," European Economy - Economic Papers 261, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2008.
"Corporate tax elasticities: a reader's guide to empirical findings,"
Oxford Review of Economic Policy,
Oxford University Press, vol. 24(4), pages 680-697, winter.
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2008. "Corporate Tax Elasticities A Reader’s Guide to Empirical Findings," Working Papers 0822, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.