On the Definition of Unemployment and its Implementation in Register Data: The Case of Germany
AbstractUnemployment information in individual level register data depends on institutional settings, administrative procedures and which registers are merged. In this paper we suggest different implementation strategies for common international and German legal unemployment definitions for the Sample of the Integrated Employment Biographies (IEBS). The IEBS belongs to a new generation of German merged register data that is more comprehensive than previous data sets. Our descriptive figures show large differences in the number of spells and the unemployment duration across implementations. This suggests that empirical results of labour market research are likely to depend on the underlying legal definition of unemployment and its implementation in this data. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 07-041.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
unemployment duration; merged administrative individual data; Germany; Stata;
Other versions of this item:
- Thomas Kruppe & Eva Müller & Laura Wichert & Ralf A. Wilke, 2008. "On the Definition of Unemployment and its Implementation in Regis-ter Data - The Case of Germany," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 128(3), pages 461-488.
- Kruppe, Thomas & Müller, Eva & Wichert, Laura & Wilke, Ralf A., 2007. "On the definition of unemployment and its implementation in register data : the case of Germany," FDZ Methodenreport 200703_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-02 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fitzenberger, Bernd & Wilke, Ralf A., 2004.
"Unemployment Durations in West-Germany Before and After the Reform of the Unemployment Compensation System During the 1980s,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-24, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Bernd Fitzenberger & Ralf A. Wilke, 2010. "Unemployment Durations in West Germany Before and After the Reform of the Unemployment Compensation System during the 1980s," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 336-366, 08.
- Sokbae 'Simon' Lee & Ralf A. Wilke, 2005.
"Reform of unemployment compensation in Germany: a nonparametric bounds analysis using register data,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP02/05, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lee, Sokbae & Wilke, Ralf A., 2009. "Reform of Unemployment Compensation in Germany: A Nonparametric Bounds Analysis Using Register Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 27(2), pages 193-205.
- Lee, Sokbae & Wilke, Ralf A., 2005. "Reform of Unemployment Compensation in Germany: A Nonparametric Bounds Analysis Using Register Data," ZEW Discussion Papers 05-29, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Achim Schmillen & Joachim Möller, 2010.
"Determinants of Lifetime Unemployment. A Micro Data Analysis with Censored Quantile Regressions,"
090, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Achim Schmillen & Joachim Möller, 2009. "Determinants of Lifetime Unemployment - A Micro Data Analysis with Censored Quantile Regressions," Working Papers 275, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Schmillen, Achim & Möller, Joachim, 2010. "Determinants of Lifetime Unemployment: A Micro Data Analysis with Censored Quantile Regressions," IZA Discussion Papers 4751, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Schmillen, Achim & Möller, Joachim, 2010. "Determinants of lifetime unemployment : a micro data analysis with censored quantile regressions," IAB Discussion Paper 201003, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Marco Caliendo & Armin Falk & Lutz C. Kaiser & Hilmar Schneider & Arne Uhlendorff & Gerard van den Berg & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2011.
"The IZA Evaluation Dataset: towards evidence-based labor policy making,"
International Journal of Manpower,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(7), pages 731-752, November.
- Caliendo, Marco & Falk, Armin & Kaiser, Lutz C. & Schneider, Hilmar & Uhlendorff, Arne & van den Berg, Gerard J. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2010. "The IZA Evaluation Dataset: Towards Evidence-Based Labor Policy-Making," IZA Discussion Papers 5400, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ralf Wilke, . "Unemployment Duration in the United Kingdom: An Incomplete Data Approach," Discussion Papers 09/02, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Dorner, Matthias & Heining, Jörg & Jacobebbinghaus, Peter & Seth, Stefan, 2010. "Sample of Integrated Labour Market Biographies (SIAB) 1975-2008," FDZ Methodenreport 201009_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Jürgen Schupp & Joachim R. Frick, 2010. "Multidisciplinary Household Panel Studies under Academic Direction," Working Paper Series of the German Council for Social and Economic Data 140, German Council for Social and Economic Data (RatSWD).
- S. Anger & F. Frick & J. Goebel & M. Grabka & O. Groh-Samberg & H. Haas & E. Holst & P. Krause & M. Kroh & H. Lohmann & J. Schupp & I. Sieber & T. Siedler & C. Schmitt & C. K. Spieß & I. Tucci & G. G, 2009. "Developing SOEPsurvey and SOEPservice: The (Near) Future of the German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP)," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 155, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.