Innovation dynamics and endogenous market structure: econometric results from aggregated survey data
AbstractThis paper examines empirically the relationship between innovation and market structure within a simultaneous framework at the industry level of aggregation. We use a model in which R&D affects both, demand and cost conditions. An optimization process leads to optimal industry R&D expenditure and market structure in a symmetric equilibrium. The model is applied to a newly constructed panel for Germany. Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) estimation techniques for dynamic panel data systems are used to estimate the parameters of interest. We found a positive long?run effect of R&D on markets? sales concentration. In contrast, competition enforces innovation, i.e. sales concentration has a negative impact on R&D. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 01-39.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
innovation; R&D; market structure; panel data; dynamic models; applied econometrics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014.
"A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986. "A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix," NBER Technical Working Papers 0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, Tom & Wilde, Louis L, 1980. "Market Structure and Innovation: A Reformulation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 94(2), pages 429-36, March.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Holtz-Eakin, Douglas, 1988. "Testing for individual effects in autoregressive models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 297-307, November.
- Harhoff, Dietmar, 1997. "Innovationsanreize in einem strukturellen Oligopolmodel," ZEW Discussion Papers 97-16, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Richard Levin & Peter C. Reiss, 1984. "Tests of a Schumpeterian Model of R&D and Market Structure," NBER Chapters, in: R & D, Patents, and Productivity, pages 175-208 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Peneder & Martin Wörter, 2013.
"Competition, R&D and Innovation: Testing the Inverted-U in a Simultaneous System,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Michael Peneder & Martin Woerter, 2014. "Competition, R&D and innovation: testing the inverted-U in a simultaneous system," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 653-687, July.
- Rammer, Christian & Costard, Jano & Seliger, Florian & Schubert, Torben, 2008. "Bestimmungsgründe des Innovationserfolgs von baden-württembergischen KMU," ZEW Dokumentationen 08-05, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Wittkopp, Antje, 2002. "Marktstruktur, Innovationsaktivität und Profitabilität der deutschen Ernährungswirtschaft: Das Beispiel Functional Food," FE Working Papers 0205, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Food Economics and Consumption Studies.
- Katja Görlitz & Joel Stiebale, 2011. "The Impact of Product Market Competition on Employers’ Training Investments. Evidence from German Establishment Panel Data," De Economist, Springer, vol. 159(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Juliette von Arx, 2004. "Innovation und Wettbewerb – Eine Analyse aufgrund von schweizerischen Unternehmensdaten," KOF Working papers 04-84, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.