Savings, expectations and technological unemployment: a generalization of assumptions for the Hicksian fixwage traverse
AbstractThis paper examines the role of alternative assumptions on savings and expectations for the fixwage traverse with strong forward biased technological change. After briefly outlining the model, some peculiarities of the adjustment path under the Hicksian Q-Assumption are investigated. Subsequently, the consequences of several savings functions consistent with the assumption of static expectations are explored. With all but one of these assumptions the possibility of permanent technological unemployment emerges. Additionally, the assumption of adaptive expectations is introduced, in which case technological unemployment throughout the early phase prevails. Furthermore, oscillating growth rates emerge, indicating the possibility of technologically caused business cycles. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 00-29.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Traverse analysis; technological unemployment; Neo-Austrian theory;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hicks, J. R., 1987. "Capital and Time: A Neo-Austrian Theory," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198772866.
- Nardini, Franco, 1990. "Cycle-trend dynamics in a fixwage neo-Austrian model of traverse," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 165-194, June.
- Zamagni, Stefano, 1984. "Ricardo and Hayek Effects in a Fixwage Model of Traverse," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 36(0), pages 135-51, Supplemen.
- Malinvaud, E, 1986. "Reflecting on the Theory of Capital and Growth," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 38(3), pages 367-85, November.
- Nardini, Franco, 1993. "Traverse and convergence in the neo-Austrian model: The case of a distributive shock," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 105-125, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.