The ZEW - Creditreform business survey in the business-related services sector : sampling frame, stratification, expansion and results
AbstractNo other area of the German economy has developed so emphatically in the past ten years as has that business-related services. Regardless of its growing overall economic importance, official statistics fail to provide economic researchers and economic policy with current data on the business-related service sector. In such a situation where quantitative information about certain sectors is lacking, data obtained from business survey give important information on the state of the economy. The outcome of such surveys crucially depends on the expansion factors attached to the responses of individual firms. In this paper it is shown how a robust method of calculating expansions factors can be obtained using known auxiliary totals from the population. Robust in the sense means that the expanded data of the ZEW/Creditreform business survey are insensitive to changes in the sample design while the non-expanded data are not. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 00-22.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
expansion factors; business-related services;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C81 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Microeconomic Data
- C42 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Survey Methods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ulrich Kaiser & Herbert S. Buscher, 1999. "The Service Sentiment Indicator - A Business Climate Indicator for the German Business - Related Services Sector," CoFE Discussion Paper 99-06, Center of Finance and Econometrics, University of Konstanz.
- Ulrich Kaiser & Claudia Stirböck, 1999. "The impact of the introduction of the Euro on firms' expectations," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 34(3), pages 107-115, May.
- Irene Bertschek & Ulrich Kaiser, 2004.
"Productivity Effects of Organizational Change: Microeconometric Evidence,"
INFORMS, vol. 50(3), pages 394-404, March.
- Bertschek, Irene & Kaiser, Ulrich, 2001. "Productivity effects of organizational change: microeconometric evidence," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-32, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Elisabeth Mueller & Alexandra Spitz-Oener, 2006. "Managerial Ownership and Company Performance in German Small and Medium-Sized Private Enterprises," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 7, pages 233-247, 05.
- Mueller, Elisabeth & Spitz, Alexandra, 2001.
"Managerial ownership and firm performance in German small and medium-sized enterprises,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
01-72, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Elisabeth Müller & Alexandra Spitz, 2002. "Managerial Ownership and Firm Performance in German Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises," CEP Discussion Papers dp0528, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2001. "Differences in response patterns in a mixed mode: online/paper & pencil business survey," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-50, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2001. "Moving in and out of financial distress: evidence for newly founded service sector firms," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-09, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Vanberg, Margit A., 2003. "Die ZEW/Creditreform Konjunkturumfrage bei Dienstleistern der Informationsgesellschaft: Dokumentation der Umfrage und Einführung des ZEW-Indikators der Dienstleister der Informationsgesellschaft," ZEW Dokumentationen 03-09, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.