Decision-Making of the ECB: Reform and Voting Power
AbstractThe ECB reform is designed to meet the challenges of an enlarged monetary union in the ECB Council. The reform is assessed by analysing alternatives for the classification of governors into groups of the rotation scheme like the synchronisation of the economic development of the member states. In a second approach, voting power indices are assigned to the governors allocated to the different groups instead of voting weights. Special attention is given to the difference between the political weight of a governor and the economic and population weight of its country of origin. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 04-70.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
ECB; reform; rotation scheme; voting power indices;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Straffin, Philip Jr., 1994. "Power and stability in politics," Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, in: R.J. Aumann & S. Hart (ed.), Handbook of Game Theory with Economic Applications, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 32, pages 1127-1151 Elsevier.
- Huefner, Felix P & Friedrich Heinemann, 2003.
"Is the View from the Eurotower Purely European? - National Divergence and ECB Interest Rate Policy,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
110, Royal Economic Society.
- Friedrich Heinemann & Felix P. Huefner, 2004. "Is The View From The Eurotower Purely European? - National Divergence And Ecb Interest Rate Policy," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 51(4), pages 544-558, 09.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Huefner, Felix P., 2002. "Is the View from the Eurotower Purely European? National Divergence and ECB Interest Rate Policy," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-69, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Michael Frenkel & Ralf Fendel, 2003. "The new ECB voting system: Some room for improvement," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 38(6), pages 334-338, November.
- Verena Waldner & Martin Kocher & Matthias Sutter, 2004.
"Rotation Schemes In Politics - An Experimental Examination,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2004
38, Royal Economic Society.
- Verena Waldner & Martin Kocher & Matthias Sutter, 2003. "Rotation schemes in politics - An experimental examination," Papers on Strategic Interaction 2003-26, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Strategic Interaction Group.
- Berger, Helge & Hefeker, Carsten, 2005.
"One Country, One Vote? Labor Market Structure and Voting Rights in the ECB,"
Journal of Economic Integration,
Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 20, pages 672-687.
- Berger, Helge & Hefeker, Carsten, 2004. "One country, one vote? Labor market structure and voting rights in the ECB," Discussion Papers 2004/10, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
- Helge Berger & Carsten Hefeker, 2004. "One Country, One Vote? Labor Market Structure and Voting Rights in the ECB," CESifo Working Paper Series 1165, CESifo Group Munich.
- Christian Fahrholz & Philipp Mohl, 2004. "EMU-enlargement and the Reshaping of Decision-making within the ECB Governing Council: A Voting-Power Analysis," Eastward Enlargement of the Euro-zone Working Papers wp23, Free University Berlin, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, revised 01 Jun 2004.
- Helge Berger & Jakob de Haan & Robert Inklaar, 2003. "Restructuring the ECB," CESifo Working Paper Series 1084, CESifo Group Munich.
- Gabriel MANGANO, 1999. "Monetary Policy in EMU : a Voting-Power Analysis of Coalition Formation in the European Central Bank," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9908, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Helge Berger, 2002. "The ECB and Euro-Area Enlargement," IMF Working Papers 02/175, International Monetary Fund.
- Carsten Hefeker, 2002. "Monetary policy in a Union of 27: Enlargement and reform options," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 37(6), pages 315-320, November.
- Taylor, John B., 1993. "Discretion versus policy rules in practice," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 195-214, December.
- Silvia Fedeli & Francesco Forte, 2001. "Voting Powers and the Efficiency of the Decision-Making Process in the European Council of Ministers," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 5-38, July.
- Dorothee Heisenberg, 2003. "Cutting the Bank Down to Size: Efficient and Legitimate Decision-making in the European Central Bank After Enlargement," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 397-420, 06.
- Ansgar Belke & Barbara von Schnurbein, 2010.
"European Monetary Policy and the ECB Rotation Model: Voting Power of the Core versus the Periphery,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
983, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ansgar Belke & Barbara von Schnurbein, 2010. "European Monetary Policy and the ECB Rotation Model – Voting Power of the Core versus the Periphery," Ruhr Economic Papers 0175, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Ansgar Belke & Barbara Schnurbein, 2012. "European monetary policy and the ECB rotation model," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 151(1), pages 289-323, April.
- Robert-Paul Berben & Beata Bierut & Philipp Maier, 2012. "The role of regional information in the optimal composition of a committee," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(1), pages 510-517.
- Carsten Hefeker, 2011. "Policy Uncertainty and Economic Reforms in a Monetary Union," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(3), pages 274-285, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.