The effects of the block exemption regulation reform on the Swiss car market
AbstractIn 2002, the Swiss Competition Commission (COMCO) introduced a Notice on the Competitive Treatment of Vertical Restraints in Automobile Trade ('Car Notice'). The objective of the Car Notice has been to strengthen competition in the Swiss car market, in particular by avoiding price-fixing practices and market foreclosure and stimulating intrabrand competition in the market for new car sales and competition in the service market. Based on a survey conducted among Swiss car market players, we find that the Car Notice only had a slight impact on competition in the Swiss car market. Although some changes have been identified, they typically cannot solely be explained by the impact of the Car Notice but rather result from general market developments that have led to stronger competition in Switzerland. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 11-034.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
vertical agreements; automobile market; multibranding; intrabrand competition; interbrand competition; ex-post evaluation of competition policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- K21 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - Antitrust Law
- L42 - Industrial Organization - - Antitrust Issues and Policies - - - Vertical Restraints; Resale Price Maintenance; Quantity Discounts
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-05-30 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2011-05-30 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-HME-2011-05-30 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-LAW-2011-05-30 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-REG-2011-05-30 (Regulation)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.