IT outsourcing and employment growth at the firm level
AbstractOutsourcing is widely associated with accompanied job losses in the outsourcing firm, at least in the short run. However, the medium and long run effects of outsourcing on employment growth might still be positive. This paper particularly focuses on IT outsourcing and its medium-term effects on employment growth. Therefore, a three year time period from 2003 to 2006 is analysed using German firm-level data and instrumental variable estimation. I find evidence that IT outsourcing has a positive effect on firms' employment growth rate. However, dividing the sample into manufacturing and service firms, a medium-term positive growth effect of IT outsourcing can only be observed for firms operating in the service sector. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 10-108.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Information and Communication Technology; Outsourcing; Employment Growth;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L86 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Information and Internet Services; Computer Software
- L24 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Contracting Out; Joint Ventures
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van Reenen, John, 1997. "Employment and Technological Innovation: Evidence from U.K. Manufacturing Firms," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 255-84, April.
- Bertschek. Irene & Erdsiek, Daniel, 2012. "IT outsourcing - A source of innovation? Microeconometric evidence for Germany," ZEW Discussion Papers 12-088, ZEW - Zentrum fÃ¼r EuropÃ¤ische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.