Investment impact of tax loss treatment: Empirical insights from a panel of multinationals
AbstractWe analyze the impact of tax loss treatment on the size and structure of multinational investments. Basically, two effects of tax loss treatment can be expected. First, firms make their investment decisions in the face of potential future losses. Then, the various types of conceivable loss offset provisions affect investment decisions. Secondly, existing loss carryforwards resulting from losses in the past affect the tax rate-elasticity of current investment decisions. The empirical analysis is based on data of German multinationals. The data is taken from the MiDi database provided by the German Central Bank (Deutsche Bundesbank). Regarding the tax loss treatment of potential future losses, our regression results suggest that a short carryforward time limit lowers investments in industries having a high probability to make losses. Moreover, we find significant positive effects of group loss offsetting provisions on the size of investments and on the number of subsidiaries they are structured across. Concerning the effects of existing losses carried forward, we find a reduced tax rate elasticity of investments for companies shielded by existing losses. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research in its series ZEW Discussion Papers with number 10-097.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Corporate Taxation; Loss Treatment; Group Taxation; Multinational Firms; Empirical Analysis;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H32 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Firm
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2011-01-23 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2011-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-PBE-2011-01-23 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-2011-01-23 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ruud A. de Mooij & Sjef Ederveen, 2001.
"Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
588, CESifo Group Munich.
- de Mooij, Ruud A & Ederveen, Sjef, 2003. "Taxation and Foreign Direct Investment: A Synthesis of Empirical Research," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 10(6), pages 673-93, November.
- Ruud de Mooij & S. Ederveen, 2001. "Taxation and foreign direct investment; a synthesis of empirical research," CPB Discussion Paper 3, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Mackie-Mason, Jeffrey K., 1990. "Some nonlinear tax effects on asset values and investment decisions under uncertainty," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 301-327, August.
- Andreas Haufler & Mohammed Mardan, 2013.
"Cross-Border Loss Offset Can Fuel Tax Competition,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
4089, CESifo Group Munich.
- Haufler, Andreas & Mardan, Mohammed, 2013. "Cross-border loss offset can fuel tax competition," Discussion Papers in Economics 14362, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Andreas Hau fler & Mohammed Mardan, 2013. "Cross-border loss offset can fuel tax competition," Working Papers 1310, Oxford University Centre for Business Taxation.
- Kalamov, Zarko Y., 2013. "Risk sharing and the efficiency of public good provision under tax competition," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 676-683.
- Walch, Florian & Dwenger, Nadja, 2011. "Tax Losses and Firm Investment: Evidence from Tax Statistics," Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis 48699, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.