Job Matching on non-separated Occupational Labour Markets
AbstractThis work refers to analyses of matching processes on occupational labour markets in Germany. Up to now, all studies in this field are based on the crucial assumption of separate occupational labour markets. I outlined some theoretical considerations that occupational markets are probably not completely separated. By using information about similarities of occupational groups I constructed an "occupational topology" and finally tested my hypothesis of non-separated occupational labour markets with Spatial Econometric Estimators, particularly with a restricted version of a Spatial Durbin Model that includes “spatial” lags for regressors. The results show considerable dependencies between similar occupational groups in the matching process. Particularly, the results indicate occupational specific set-up and set-down processes in similar occupational groups. This has important implications for estimating the matching efficiencies of unemployed and vacancies, because the matching process is not only determined by the unemployed and vacancies in the same occupational group but also by those in other occupational groups. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association in its series Annual Conference 2011 (Frankfurt, Main): The Order of the World Economy - Lessons from the Crisis with number 49161.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Unemployment; Vacancies; Matching Model; Panel data; Occupational Labour Markets;
Other versions of this item:
- Michael Stops, 2011. "Job Matching on non-separated Occupational Labour Markets," ERSA conference papers ersa11p372, European Regional Science Association.
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- J44 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Professional Labor Markets and Occupations
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert J. Hodrick & Edward Prescott, 1981.
"Post-War U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation,"
451, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Hodrick, Robert J & Prescott, Edward C, 1997. "Postwar U.S. Business Cycles: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 29(1), pages 1-16, February.
- Patricia M. Anderson & Simon M. Burgess, 2000. "Empirical Matching Functions: Estimation and Interpretation Using State-Level Data," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 82(1), pages 93-102, February.
- Kaddour Hadri, 1999.
"Testing For Stationarity In Heterogeneous Panel Data,"
1999_04, University of Liverpool Management School.
- Kaddour Hadri, 2000. "Testing for stationarity in heterogeneous panel data," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 3(2), pages 148-161.
- Diamond, Peter A, 1982.
"Aggregate Demand Management in Search Equilibrium,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 881-94, October.
- Wolfgang Dauth & Reinhard Hujer & Katja Wolf, 2011.
"Macroeconometric evaluation of active labour market policies in Austria,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa11p114, European Regional Science Association.
- Dauth, Wolfgang & Hujer, Reinhard & Wolf, Katja, 2010. "Macroeconometric Evaluation of Active Labour Market Policies in Austria," IZA Discussion Papers 5217, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Schmillen, Achim & Möller, Joachim, 2010.
"Determinants of Lifetime Unemployment: A Micro Data Analysis with Censored Quantile Regressions,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4751, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Achim Schmillen & Joachim Möller, 2009. "Determinants of Lifetime Unemployment - A Micro Data Analysis with Censored Quantile Regressions," Working Papers 275, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Achim Schmillen & Joachim Möller, 2010. "Determinants of Lifetime Unemployment. A Micro Data Analysis with Censored Quantile Regressions," Working Papers 090, Bavarian Graduate Program in Economics (BGPE).
- Schmillen, Achim & Möller, Joachim, 2010. "Determinants of lifetime unemployment : a micro data analysis with censored quantile regressions," IAB Discussion Paper 201003, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- repec:mea:ivswpa:499 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christopher A. Pissarides & Barbara Petrongolo, 2001.
"Looking into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 39(2), pages 390-431, June.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2000. "Looking Into The Black Box: A Survey Of The Matching Function," CEPR Discussion Papers 2409, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Looking Into the Black Box: A Survey of the Matching Function," CEP Discussion Papers dp0470, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2000. "Looking into the black box: a survey of the matching function," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2122, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1985. "Short-run Equilibrium Dynamics of Unemployment Vacancies, and Real Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 676-90, September.
- Michael Stops & Thomas Mazzoni, 2010. "Matchingprozesse auf beruflichen Teilarbeitsmärkten Job Matching on Occupational Labour Markets," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(3), pages 287-312, June.
- Aki Kangasharju & Jaakko Pehkonen & Sari Pekkala, 2005. "Returns to scale in a matching model: evidence from disaggregated panel data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 115-118.
- Ours, J.C. van & Broersma, L., 1999. "Job searchers, job matches and the elasticity of matching," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-80319, Tilburg University.
- Uwe Sunde, 2007. "Empirical Matching Functions: Searchers, Vacancies, and (Un-)biased Elasticities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(295), pages 537-560, 08.
- Edward F. Blackburne III & Mark W. Frank, 2007. "Estimation of nonstationary heterogeneous panels," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(2), pages 197-208, June.
- Stops, Michael, 2012. "Job matching across occupational labour markets," IAB Discussion Paper 201227, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Iourii Manovskii & Gueorgui Kambourov, 2004.
"Occupational Specificity of Human Capital,"
2004 Meeting Papers
197, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, December.
- Dorner, Matthias & Heining, Jörg & Jacobebbinghaus, Peter & Seth, Stefan, 2010. "Sample of Integrated Labour Market Biographies (SIAB) 1975-2008," FDZ Methodenreport 201009_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- John James Mora & José Alfonso Santacruz, 2008. "Emparejamiento entre desempleados y vacantes para Cali: Un análisis con datos de panel," ESTUDIOS GERENCIALES, UNIVERSIDAD ICESI.
- Pissarides, C A, 1979. "Job Matchings with State Employment Agencies and Random Search," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(356), pages 818-33, December.
- Dorner, Matthias & Heining, Jörg & Jacobebbinghaus, Peter & Seth, Stefan, 2010. "Sample of Integrated Labour Market Biographies (SIAB) 1975-2008," FDZ Datenreport. Documentation on Labour Market Data 201001_en, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Broersma, Lourens & Van Ours, Jan C., 1999. "Job searchers, job matches and the elasticity of matching," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 77-93, March.
- Bauer, Anja, 2013. "Mismatch unemployment : evidence from Germany 2000-2010," IAB Discussion Paper 201310, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.