William Poole in der modernen Makroökonomik: Exegese des ursprünglichen Beitrags und seiner Fortentwicklungen für die offene Volkswirtschaft
AbstractGiven all the evidence supporting Milton Friedman's proposition that inflation is now and everywhere a monetary phenomenon, it seems that we are wrong when we tend to ignore the behaviour of the monetary aggregates at our peril. The total neglect of information about the monetary aggregates in the Taylor rule is possibly a strong signal into that erroneous direction. Moreover, so-called "New Keynesianism" has put forward that there is no more need to treat the money market equilibrium in an "LM-setting". Our paper goes back to William Poole's seminal paper on interest rate and money supply rules and extends his earlier work to the open economy, various types of shocks and to the analysis of cooperative and non-cooperative behaviour of central banks. The results achieved confirm that the inclusion of the money market equilibrium enhances the possibilities to compare the costs and benefits of different monetary policy strategies under cooperative or non-cooperative behaviour. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universität der Bundeswehr München, Economic Research Group in its series Working Papers in Economics with number 2006,3.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Werner-Heisenberg-Weg 39, D-85577 Neubiberg
Phone: +49(0)89 - 6004-4239
Fax: +49(0)89 - 6014693
Web page: http://wow.w3.rz.unibw-muenchen.de/
More information through EDIRC
Schockabsorption; Zins- vs. Geldmengenregeln; (Nicht-)Kooperative Geldpolitik bei flexiblen Wechselkursen;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- F32 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Current Account Adjustment; Short-term Capital Movements
- E42 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Monetary Sytsems; Standards; Regimes; Government and the Monetary System
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Collard, Fabrice & Dellas, Harris, 2005.
"Poole in the New Keynesian model,"
European Economic Review, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 887-907, May.
- Collard, Fabrice & Dellas, Harris, 2003. "Poole in the New Keynesian Model," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 4083, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dotsey, Michael & King, Robert G, 1986.
"Informational Implications of Interest Rate Rules,"
American Economic Review, American Economic Association,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 33-42, March.
- Guender, Alfred V. & Tam, Julie, 2004. "On the performance of nominal income targeting as a strategy for monetary policy in a small open economy," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 143-163, March.
- Collard, Fabrice & Dellas, Harris & Ertz, Guy, 2000.
CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers
2521, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- H. Dellas, 2011. "Poole Revisited," Review of Business and Economic Literature, Intersentia, Intersentia, vol. 56(4), pages 405-426, December.
- Collard, Fabrice & Dellas, Harris & Ertz, Guy, 1998. "Poole Revisited," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1998023, UniversitÃ© catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Friedman, Benjamin M., 1990. "Targets and instruments of monetary policy," Handbook of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, in: B. M. Friedman & F. H. Hahn (ed.), Handbook of Monetary Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1185-1230 Elsevier.
- Matthew B. Canzoneri & Dale W. Henderson & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 1981.
"The information content of the interest rate and optimal monetary policy,"
International Finance Discussion Papers, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
192, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Canzoneri, Matthew B & Henderson, Dale W & Rogoff, Kenneth S, 1983. "The Information Content of the Interest Rate and Optimal Monetary Policy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, MIT Press, vol. 98(4), pages 545-66, November.
- Sell, Friedrich L., 2004. "Währungspolitik im Dienste von Entwicklung : Immer noch ein Forschungsprogramm!," Working Papers in Economics 2004,2, UniversitÃ¤t der Bundeswehr MÃ¼nchen, Economic Research Group.
- Lai, Ching-chong & Chen, Shu-hua & Shaw, Ming-fu, 2005. "Nominal income targeting versus money growth targeting in an endogenously growing economy," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 86(3), pages 359-366, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.