Ageing, productivity and wages in Austria: Evidence from a matched employer-employee data set at the sector level
AbstractIn this paper we analyse the link between the age structure of the labour force and average labour productivity at the intermediate level of economic sectors. The analysis is based on a panel data set ranging over six years (2002-2007) and covers the sectors of mining, manufacturing and market oriented services in the Austrian economy. Our results exhibit a positive correlation of the share of older employees and productivity, while we cannot find any evidence for a significant relationship of the share of younger employees and productivity. Moreover, the estimated age-wage pattern does not hint at an over-payment of older employees. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Vienna University of Technology, Institute for Mathematical Methods in Economics, Research Group Economics (ECON) in its series ECON WPS - Vienna University of Technology Working Papers in Economic Theory and Policy with number 02/2011.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
ageing workforce; production function; age-productivity profile; age-wage pattern;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J82 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor Standards - - - Labor Force Composition
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Göbel, Christian & Zwick, Thomas, 2009. "Age and productivity: evidence from linked employer employee data," ZEW Discussion Papers, ZEW - Zentrum fÃ¼r EuropÃ¤ische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research 09-020, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Johannes Pöschl & Robert Stehrer & Roman Stöllinger, 2009. "Characteristics of exporting and non-exporting firms in Austria," FIW Research Reports series, FIW II-001, FIW.
- Göbel, Christian & Zwick, Thomas, 2010. "Which personnel measures are effective in increasing productivity of old workers?," ZEW Discussion Papers, ZEW - Zentrum fÃ¼r EuropÃ¤ische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research 10-069, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Stephan Brunow & Georg Hirte, 2009. "The age pattern of human capital and regional productivity: A spatial econometric study on german regions," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(4), pages 799-823, November.
- Susanna Iranzo & Fabiano Schivardi & Elisa Tosetti, 2006.
"Skill dispersion and firm productivity; an analysis with employer-employee matched data,"
Temi di discussione (Economic working papers), Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area
577, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Susana Iranzo & Fabiano Schivardi & Elisa Tosetti, 2008. "Skill Dispersion and Firm Productivity: An Analysis with Employer-Employee Matched Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 247-285, 04.
- S. Iranzo & F. Schivardi & E. Tosetti, 2006. "Skill dispersion and firm productivity: an analysis with employer-employee matched data," Working Paper CRENoS 200617, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Iranzo, Susana & Schivardi, Fabiano & Tosetti, Elisa, 2006. "Skill Dispersion and Firm Productivity: An Analysis with Employer-Employee Matched Data," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 5539, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Benoit Dostie, 2006.
"Wages, Productivity and Aging,"
Cahiers de recherche
06-15, HEC Montréal, Institut d'économie appliquée.
- Benoit Dostie, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," Cahiers de recherche, CIRPEE 0645, CIRPEE.
- Dostie, Benoit, 2006. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," IZA Discussion Papers 2496, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Benoit Dostie, 2007. "Wages, Productivity and Aging," CIRANO Working Papers, CIRANO 2007s-02, CIRANO.
- David M. Drukker, 2003. "Testing for serial correlation in linear panel-data models," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(2), pages 168-177, June.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1979. "Why Is There Mandatory Retirement?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1261-84, December.
- Hellerstein, Judith K & Neumark, David, 1999.
"Sex, Wages, and Productivity: An Empirical Analysis of Israeli Firm-Level Data,"
International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(1), pages 95-123, February.
- Hellerstein, J-K & Neumark, D, 1995. "Sex, Wages, and Productivity : an Empirical Analysis of Israeli, Firm-Level Data," Papers, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory 9501, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Thomas Zwick, 2005. "Continuing Vocational Training Forms and Establishment Productivity in Germany," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 6(2), pages 155-184, 05.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number minc74-1.
- repec:fth:michin:445 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cameron, G., 2000. "R&D and Growth at the Industry Level," Economics Papers 2000-w4, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jianmin Tang & Carolyn MacLeod, 2006. "Labour force ageing and productivity performance in Canada," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 39(2), pages 582-603, May.
- Thomas Lindh & Bo Malmberg, 1999. "Age structure effects and growth in the OECD, 1950-1990," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 431-449.
- Jacob A. Mincer, 1974. "Introduction to "Schooling, Experience, and Earnings"," NBER Chapters, in: Schooling, Experience, and Earnings, pages 1-4 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Patrick Aubert & Bruno Crépon, 2003. "La productivité des salariés âgés : une tentative d'estimation," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, Programme National Persée, vol. 368(1), pages 95-119.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.