Foreign sales strategies of multinational enterprises
AbstractThe business literature has long recognized the importance of multinationals' distribution networks. The empirical analysis of distribution-oriented FDI has, however, received little attention which is at least partly due to the lack of appropriate data. We outline a slightly modified version of Helpman, Melitz, and Yeaple (2004) that explicitly models the possibility for a multinational firm to export through its wholesale trade affiliate in order to analyze multinational firms' choice between foreign production and foreign distribution. The subsequent empirical analysis uses different discrete choice models. We use alternative specifications and report estimation results for several sub-samples of multinational firms. We also consider more complex foreign sales strategies and correct for the sample selection bias that arises because we only observe firms that have foreign affiliates. Our results show that the decision between distribution and production-oriented FDI is based on the trade-off between fixed and variable costs. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics in its series Tübinger Diskussionsbeiträge with number 327.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Keplerstr. 17, 72074 Tübingen
Web page: http://www.uni-tuebingen.de/en/faculties/wirtschafts-und-sozialwissenschaftliche-fakultaet/faecher/wirtschaftswissenschaft.html
More information through EDIRC
Multinational firms; Wholesale sales; Discrete choice;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antràs, Pol & Costinot, Arnaud, 2010.
CEPR Discussion Papers
7696, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heuer, Nina, 2010. "Occupation-specific south-north migration," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 328, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Kleinert, Jörn & Zorell, Nico, 2010. "The export-magnification effect of offshoring," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 330, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.