Performance evaluation, portfolio selection, and HARA utility
AbstractOur main goal is the generalization of the approach of Jobson and Korkie(1984) for funds performance evaluation. Therefore, we consider the portfolio selection problem of an investor who faces short sales restrictions when choosing among F different investment funds and assume the investor's utility function to be of the HARA type. We develop a performance measure and discuss its relationships to Treynor(1965), Sharpe(1966), Jensen(1968), Prakash and Bear(1986), and Grinblatt and Titman(1989). Particular attention is given to the special case of cubic utility implying skewness preferences. Our findings are illustrated by an empirical example. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institute of Finance in its series Working Papers with number FW01V4.
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
HARA utility; performance evaluation; portfolio selection; skewness;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cass, David & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1970. "The structure of investor preferences and asset returns, and separability in portfolio allocation: A contribution to the pure theory of mutual funds," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 122-160, June.
- Kroll, Yoram & Levy, Haim & Markowitz, Harry M, 1984. " Mean-Variance versus Direct Utility Maximization," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(1), pages 47-61, March.
- Prakash, Arun J & Bear, Robert M, 1986. "A Simplifying Performance Measure Recognizing Skewness," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 21(1), pages 135-44, February.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119.
- Chunhachinda, Pornchai & Dandapani, Krishnan & Hamid, Shahid & Prakash, Arun J., 1997. "Portfolio selection and skewness: Evidence from international stock markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 143-167, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.