Testing the purchasing power parity in pooled systems of error correction models
AbstractIn this paper we test the purchasing power parity for the post Bretton Woods period for 18 main industrial countries. As base currencies we use alternatively the Deutsche mark, the Japanese yen, and the US dollar. We employ error correction models for single countries and on the level of pooled equations allowing efficient inference on domestic and foreign price elasticities of nominal exchange rates. Likelihood ratio tests are applied to infer on linear restrictions implied by the economic relationship. Critical values for these tests are estimated by means of the wild bootstrap that copes with heterogeneous error distributions and contemporaneous correlation within a pooled system of single equations. Furthermore, the tests are performed recursively in order to address the issue of time dependence of our results. We find that the purchasing power parity provides an accurate description of exchange rate dynamics if the Deutsche mark or the Japanese yen are used as base currencies. Specified towards the US dollar we reject the economic model. It turns out that this overall conclusion is not invariant with respect to the investigated sample period. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes in its series SFB 373 Discussion Papers with number 2000,79.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Purchasing power parity; Panel cointegration; Wild bootstrap;
Other versions of this item:
- Herwartz, Helmut & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 2002. "Testing the purchasing power parity in pooled systems of error correction models," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 45-62, January.
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boswijk, H. Peter, 1995. "Efficient inference on cointegration parameters in structural error correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 133-158, September.
- Corbae, Dean & Ouliaris, Sam, 1991. "A Test of Long-Run Purchasing Power Parity Allowing for Structural Breaks," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 67(196), pages 26-33, March.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Rose, Andrew K., 1996.
"A panel project on purchasing power parity: Mean reversion within and between countries,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 209-224, February.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Andrew K. Rose, 1995. "A Panel Project on Purchasing Power Parity: Mean Reversion Within and Between Countries," NBER Working Papers 5006, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rose, Andrew K, 1995. "A Panel Project on Purchasing Power Parity: Mean Reversion Within and Between Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 1128, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel and Andrew K. Rose., 1995. "A Panel Project on Purchasing Power Parity: Mean Reversion Within and Between Countries," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-052, University of California at Berkeley.
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1996.
"Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates," Handbook of International Economics, in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688 Elsevier.
- Papell, David H., 1997. "Searching for stationarity: Purchasing power parity under the current float," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(3-4), pages 313-332, November.
- Kremers, Jeroen J M & Ericsson, Neil R & Dolado, Juan J, 1992.
"The Power of Cointegration Tests,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 325-48, August.
- Bela Balassa, 1964. "The Purchasing-Power Parity Doctrine: A Reappraisal," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72, pages 584.
- repec:wop:humbsf:2000-87 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hali J. Edison & Joseph E. Gagnon & William R. Melick, 1994.
"Understanding the empirical literature on purchasing power parity: the post-Bretton Woods era,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
465, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Edison, Hali J. & Gagnon, Joseph E. & Melick, William R., 1997. "Understanding the empirical literature on purchasing power parity: the post-Bretton Woods era," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-17, February.
- Renato Flôres & Philippe Jorion & Pierre-Yves Preumont & Ariane Szafarz, 1999.
"Multivariate Unit root Tests of the PPP Hypothesis,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/711, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Flores, Renato & Jorion, Philippe & Preumont, Pierre-Yves & Szafarz, Ariane, 1999. "Multivariate unit root tests of the PPP hypothesis," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 335-353, October.
- Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "The Purchasing Power Parity Puzzle," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 34(2), pages 647-668, June.
- Herwartz, Helmut & Neumann, Michael H., 2000. "Bootstrap inference in single equation error correction models," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,87, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Papell, David H. & Theodoridis, Hristos, 1998. "Increasing evidence of purchasing power parity over the current float," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 41-50, February.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Lai, Kon S., 1993. "Long-run purchasing power parity during the recent float," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 181-192, February.
- Jorion, Philippe & Sweeney, Richard J., 1996. "Mean reversion in real exchange rates: evidence and implications for forecasting," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 535-550, August.
- Koedijk, Kees G. & Schotman, Peter C. & Van Dijk, Mathijs A., 1998. "The re-emergence of PPP in the 1990s," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 51-61, February.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:3:y:2002:i:15:p:1-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2003. "Financial Instability under Floating Exchange Rates," ESSEC Working Papers DR 03011, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Olive, Michael, 2004. "Pricing behaviour in Japanese manufacturing: a comparative study," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 417-429, December.
- Gadea, Maria-Dolores & Montanes, Antonio & Reyes, Marcelo, 2004. "The European Union currencies and the US dollar: from post-Bretton-Woods to the Euro," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7-8), pages 1109-1136.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.