Should next generation access networks fall within the scope of universal service? A EU 27 perspective
AbstractThe review of the Universal Service Obligation (USO) has recently been debated in the European Union (EU). Under discussion there was the extension of the current universal service definition to include broadband access, for which some theoretical and empirical support exists. In fact the determinants of information access, which are modified by market liberalization and technological developments, challenge the traditional definition of universal service and question whether there are new frontiers for the USO in the EU. This paper looks at the origins, the theoretical arguments for, and the empirical basis of the USO in the light of the ongoing debate in the EU, and links these arguments to technological development and changing demand conditions in European broadband markets. The authors predict the inclusion of a wider set of services based on Next Generation Access networks in the EU's new regulatory approach, although in November 2011 the European Union has denied this inclusion. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Telecommunications Society (ITS) in its series 23rd European Regional ITS Conference, Vienna 2012 with number 60393.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/
European Union; universal service obligation; next generation access networks;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alleman, James & Rappoport, Paul & Banerjee, Aniruddha, 0. "Universal service: A new definition?," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1-2), pages 86-91, February.
- H. Cremer & F. Gasmi & A. Grimaud & J. J. Laffont, 2001. "Universal Service: An economic perspective," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 72(1), pages 5-43, 03.
- Nina Czernich & Oliver Falck & Tobias Kretschmer & Ludger Woessmann, 2011.
"Broadband Infrastructure and Economic Growth,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 121(552), pages 505-532, 05.
- Alberto Nucciarelli & Bert M. Sadowski & Paola O. Achard, 2010.
"Emerging models of public-private interplay for European broadband access: Evidence from the Netherlands and Italy,"
Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series
10-03, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS), revised May 2010.
- Nucciarelli, Alberto & Sadowski, Bert M. & Achard, Paola O., 2010. "Emerging models of public-private interplay for European broadband access: Evidence from the Netherlands and Italy," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 513-527, October.
- Alberto Nucciarelli & Bert M. Sadowski & Paola O. Achard, 2010. "Emerging models of public-private interplay for European broadband access: Evidence from the Netherlands and Italy," Working Papers 10-03, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies, revised May 2010.
- Gómez-Barroso, José Luis & Feijóo, Claudio, 2010. "A conceptual framework for public-private interplay in the telecommunications sector," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 487-495, October.
- Gasmi, Farid & Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Sharkey, William, 1999.
"The Natural Monopoly Test Reconsidered: An Engineering Process-Based Approach to Empirical Analysis in Telecommunications,"
IDEI Working Papers
91, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Gasmi, F. & Laffont, J. J. & Sharkey, W. W., 2002. "The natural monopoly test reconsidered: an engineering process-based approach to empirical analysis in telecommunications," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 435-459, April.
- Morten FALCH & Anders HENTEN, 2009. "Achieving Universal Access to Broadband," Informatica Economica, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 13(2), pages 166-174.
- Mueller, Milton, 1993. "Universal service in telephone history : A reconstruction," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 352-369, July.
- Erik Bohlin & Orada Teppayayon, 2009. "Broadband universal service: A future path for Europe?," International Journal of Management and Network Economics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3), pages 275-298.
- Lundborg, Martin & Ruhle, Ernst-Olav & Bahr, Christian, 2010. "Discounts and price discrimination in the Telecommunications Regulation of NGA Networks," 21st European Regional ITS Conference, Copenhagen 2010: Telecommunications at new crossroads - Changing value configurations, user roles, and regulation 23, International Telecommunications Society (ITS).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.