A typology of cooperation strategies in the telecommunication industry: An exploratory analysis and theoretical foundations
AbstractThe value chain of the telecommunication industry is subject to a continuing disintegration which is caused by outsourced network operation, the provisioning of wholesale interfaces to competing service providers and the cooperative provisioning of broadband access. Thus, many companies regard cooperation as an element of cooperate strategy. In this paper we propose a cooperation topology for the telecommunication industry and identify drivers of cooperation based on the assessment of case studies. The results indicate that drivers of cooperation differ with respect to the cooperation direction and that the combination of complementary resources is the dominating driver of cooperation. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Telecommunications Society (ITS) in its series 22nd European Regional ITS Conference, Budapest 2011: Innovative ICT Applications - Emerging Regulatory, Economic and Policy Issues with number 52177.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.itseurope.org/
Cooperation; telecommunication; typology of cooperation strategies; transaction costs;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B40 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - General
- A10 - General Economics and Teaching - - General Economics - - - General
- D80 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - General
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-12-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2011-12-13 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CSE-2011-12-13 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gillett, Sharon E. & Lehr, William H. & Osorio, Carlos, 0. "Local government broadband initiatives," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 28(7-8), pages 537-558, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.