Italy's ACE tax and its effect on a firm's leverage
AbstractThis article describes the new ACE-type system implemented in Italy since 2012. The authors first show that this system reduces but does not eliminate the financial distortion due to interest deductibility. Using a dataset of Italian companies, the authors analyze the impact of this relief on Italian firm capital structure. Despite the permanence of a tax advantage and its gradual implementation, the ACE relief is estimated to reduce significantly leverage. By decreasing default risk it is also expected to reduce systemic risk. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Kiel Institute for the World Economy in its series Economics Discussion Papers with number 2012-31.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
ACE; business taxation; leverage;
Other versions of this item:
- Paolo Panteghini & Maria Laura Parisi & Francesca Pighetti, 2012. "Italy's ACE Tax and its Effect on a Firm's Leverage," CESifo Working Paper Series 3869, CESifo Group Munich.
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H32 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Firm
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ACC-2012-07-23 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-RMG-2012-07-23 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.