Wheat trade - does Russia price discriminate across export destinations?
AbstractSignificant changes have taken place on the world wheat market over the last decade. Russia, a former net wheat importer has become a leading exporter with a world market share of 13.8 percent in 2009/2010. Though there are several studies on the pricing behaviour of Canadian and US wheat exporters, there is none on the pricing behaviour of Russian wheat exporters. The present paper tries to fill this lack of research by providing a quantitative analysis of the pricing behaviour of Russian wheat exporters. We employ a pricing-to-market (PTM) model on annual Russian wheat export data, covering the period 2002-2009 and 22 export destinations. Our findings indicate that Russian wheat exporters behave rather competitively and exercise pricing to market behaviour only in five export destinations. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO) in its series IAMO Forum 2011: Will the "BRICs Decade" Continue? – Prospects for Trade and Growth with number 15.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Theodor-Lieser-Strasse 2, 06120 Halle(Saale)
Phone: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 0
Fax: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 199
Web page: http://www.iamo.de/
More information through EDIRC
Russia; wheat export; international trade; pricing to market;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- Q17 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Agriculture in International Trade
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2011-11-07 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-CWA-2011-11-07 (Central & Western Asia)
- NEP-INT-2011-11-07 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2011-11-07 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nathalie Lavoie, 2005. "Price Discrimination in the Context of Vertical Differentiation: An Application to Canadian Wheat Exports," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(4), pages 835-854.
- Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1992.
"Markup Adjustment and Exchange Rate Fluctuations: Evidence From Panel Data on Automobile Exports,"
NBER Working Papers
4123, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gagnon, Joseph E. & Knetter, Michael M., 1995. "Markup adjustment and exchange rate fluctuations: evidence from panel data on automobile exports," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 289-310, April.
- Reimer Jeffrey J & Stiegert Kyle, 2006. "Imperfect Competition and Strategic Trade Theory: Evidence for International Food and Agricultural Markets," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 4(1), pages 1-27, September.
- William M. Liefert, 2002. "Comparative (Dis?) Advantage in Russian Agriculture," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 84(3), pages 762-767.
- Feenstra, Robert C. & Gagnon, Joseph E. & Knetter, Michael M., 1996.
"Market share and exchange rate pass-through in world automobile trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(1-2), pages 187-207, February.
- Feenstra, R.C. & Gagnon, J.E. & Knetter, M.M., 1993. "Market Share and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in World Automobile Trade," Papers 93-14, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter, 1993. "Market Share and Exchange Rate Pass-Through in World Automobile Trade," NBER Working Papers 4399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Joseph E. Gagnon & Michael M. Knetter., 1993. "Market share and exchange rate pass-through in world automobile trade," International Finance Discussion Papers 446, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.