Influence of rural development policy targets on farm efficiency: An efficiency study of labour intensive grape growing family farms
AbstractThe aim of this study was to provide an empirical analysis of the performance of Macedonian grape-growing family farms assessed in terms of technical, allocative, and economic efficiency and to relate aspects targeted in the Rural Development Program (RDP) to the efficiency scores. The study was based on a two-step efficiency analysis, applying Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA), in the first step, and Tobit regression analysis in the second step. Data were collected between 2006 and 2008 through face-to-face interviews with 300 grape growers in the Tikvesh vineyard district in Macedonia, each represented by the three-year average of inputs, outputs and prices. The results indicated a large potential for efficiency improvement. The average efficiency was 0.71 for technical efficiency, 0.79 for allocative efficiency and 0.56 for economic efficiency. More efficient farms used smaller areas, irrigated a smaller proportion of total area, used less hired labour, used and paid less for inputs, but produced a larger quantity, with higher value per hectare. RDP measures targeted at stable yield, yield quality, and modernisation of equipment were important for enhancing and improving farm efficiency and consequently, the competitiveness of the entire sector. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Central and Eastern Europe (IAMO) in its series IAMO Forum 2010: Institutions in Transition – Challenges for New Modes of Governance with number 52696.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Theodor-Lieser-Strasse 2, 06120 Halle(Saale)
Phone: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 0
Fax: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 199
Web page: http://www.iamo.de/
More information through EDIRC
Data Envelopment Analysis; rural development program; Tobit regression;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tim Coelli & Sanzidur Rahman & Colin Thirtle, 2002. "Technical, Allocative, Cost and Scale Efficiencies in Bangladesh Rice Cultivation: A Non-parametric Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(3), pages 607-626.
- Townsend, R. F. & Kirsten, J. & Vink, N., 1998. "Farm size, productivity and returns to scale in agriculture revisited: a case study of wine producers in South Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 175-180, September.
- SIMAR , Léopold, 1995. "Aspects of Statistical Analysis in DEA-Type Frontier Models," CORE Discussion Papers 1995061, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- António Afonso & Miguel St. Aubyn, 2005.
"Cross-country Efficiency of Secondary Education Provision: a Semi-parametric Analysis with Nondiscretionary Inputs,"
2005/05, Department of Economics at the School of Economics and Management (ISEG), Technical University of Lisbon..
- Afonso, Antonio & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2006. "Cross-country efficiency of secondary education provision: A semi-parametric analysis with non-discretionary inputs," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 476-491, May.
- Afonso, António & St. Aubyn, Miguel, 2005. "Cross-country efficiency of secondary education provision: a semi-parametric analysis with non-discretionary inputs," Working Paper Series 0494, European Central Bank.
- Kent Olson & Linh Vu, 2009. "Economic efficiency in farm households: trends, explanatory factors, and estimation methods," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 40(5), pages 587-599, 09.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Evenson, Robert E., 1994. "Efficiency in agricultural production: The case of peasant farmers in eastern Paraguay," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 10(1), pages 27-37, January.
- Puig-Junoy, Jaume & Argiles, Josep M., 2004. "The influence of management accounting use on farm inefficiency," Agricultural Economics Review, Greek Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 5(2), August.
- Wilson, Paul & Hadley, David & Asby, Carol, 2001. "The influence of management characteristics on the technical efficiency of wheat farmers in eastern England," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 329-338, March.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna & Logan, James, 1983. "The relative efficiency of Illinois electric utilities," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 5(4), pages 349-367, December.
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 1999.
"Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: the State of the Art,"
9904, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- Léopold Simar & Paul Wilson, 2000. "Statistical Inference in Nonparametric Frontier Models: The State of the Art," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78, January.
- Beatrice Conradie & Graham Cookson & Colin Thirtle, 2006. "Efficiency And Farm Size In Western Cape Grape Production: Pooling Small Datasets," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 74(2), pages 334-343, 06.
- Hansson, Helena, 2007. "Strategy factors as drivers and restraints on dairy farm performance: Evidence from Sweden," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 94(3), pages 726-737, June.
- Gorton, Matthew & Davidova, Sophia, 2004. "Farm productivity and efficiency in the CEE applicant countries: a synthesis of results," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Alvarez, Antonio & Arias, Carlos, 2004. "Technical efficiency and farm size: a conditional analysis," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 241-250, May.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Stefan Bojnec & Laure Latruffe, 2009. "Determinants of technical efficiency of Slovenian farms," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 21(1), pages 117-124.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.