Regionalization of national input-output tables: Empirical evidence on the use of the FLQ formula
AbstractThis paper contributes to the ongoing debate about deriving the value of the exponent when using Flegg's location quotient (FLQ) formula which helps to simulate regional input-output tables. Using a survey-based regional input-output table, the empirical analysis provides evidence of an optimal for the German Federal of State Baden-Wuerttemberg. Furthermore, an extended formula (SFLQ) is introduced allowing for variation in by industry. Finally, this paper demonstrates the advantage of the SFLQ and finds evidence for a close relationship between the spatial concentration of an industry at the national level and its propensity to import goods and services from other regions. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI) in its series HWWI Research Papers with number 126.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
regional input-output table; non-survey method; empirical analysis;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-07-08 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HME-2012-07-08 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-URE-2012-07-08 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- A. T. Flegg & C. D. Webber, 1997. "On the Appropriate Use of Location Quotients in Generating Regional Input-Output Tables: Reply," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 31(8), pages 795-805.
- Anthony Flegg & Timo Tohmo, 2011. "Regional Input-Output Tables and the FLQ Formula: A Case Study of Finland," ERSA conference papers ersa11p334, European Regional Science Association.
- Tobias Kronenberg, 2010. "Erstellung einer Input-Output-Tabelle für Mecklenburg-Vorpommern," AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 223-248, September.
- F J Harrigan & J W McGilvray & I H McNicoll, 1980. "Simulating the structure of a regional economy," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 12(8), pages 927-936, August.
- Philip Mccann & John H. LL. Dewhurst, 1998.
"Regional Size, Industrial Location and Input-Output Expenditure Coefficients,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(5), pages 435-444.
- JH Ll DEWHURST, . "Regional Size, Industrial Location And Input-Output Expenditure Coefficients," Dundee Discussion Papers in Economics 074, Economic Studies, University of Dundee.
- Andrea Bonfiglio, 2009. "On The Parameterization Of Techniques For Representing Regional Economic Structures," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 115-127.
- Steven Brand & Stephen Hill & Max Munday, 2000. "Assessing the Impacts of Foreign Manufacturing on Regional Economies: The Cases of Wales, Scotland and the West Midlands," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(4), pages 343-355.
- Hillmann, Katja & Hohenleitner, Ingrid, 2012.
"Impact of benefit sanctions on unemployment outflow: Evidence from German survey data,"
HWWI Research Papers
129 [rev.], Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Hohenleitner, Ingrid & Hillmann, Katja, 2012. "Impact of Benefit Sanctions on Unemployment Outflow - Evidence from German Survey Data," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 66055, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Hillmann, Katja & Hohenleitner, Ingrid, 2012. "Impact of benefit sanctions on unemployment outflow: Evidence from German survey data," HWWI Research Papers 129, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Vöpel, Henning, 2013. "A Zidane clustering theorem: Why top players tend to play in one team and how the competitive balance can be restored," HWWI Research Papers 141, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Kowalewski, Julia & Teuber, Mark-Oliver, 2013. "Die Bedeutung des industriellen Sektors in der Freien und Hansestadt Hamburg," HWWI Policy Reports 19, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Julia Kowalewski, 2013. "Inter-industrial Relations and Sectoral Employment Development in German Regions," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 233(4), pages 486-504, July.
- Anthony T Flegg & Yongming Huang & Timo Tohmo, 2013. "Cross-hauling and regional input-output tables: the case of the province of Hubei, China," Working Papers 20131310, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Anthony T. Flegg & Timo Tohmo, 2013. "Estimating regional input coefficients and multipliers: The Use of the FLQ is not a Gamble," Working Papers 20131302, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Kowalewski, Julia, 2012. "Inter-industrial relations and sectoral employment development in German regions," HWWI Research Papers 127, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.