Who cares? Determinants of the fathers' use of parental leave in Germany
AbstractThe aim of this study is the identification of socio-economic and workplacerelated determinants of the fathers' use of parental leave after the introduction of the Parental Allowance and Parental Leave Act in Germany in 2007. This reform implied a strong paradigm shift in German family policy and led to a strong increase in the share of leaves taken by fathers. Using the 2007 German Microcensus as a data basis, three logistic models are estimated. The main results include a strong positive influence of the female partner's employment status and income as well as of variables that are related to the job security of both spouses. Overall, the findings are partly in line with German studies that have been conducted under the former family policy regime and partly with Scandinavian studies. --
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI) in its series HWWI Research Papers with number 1-31.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
childcare; fatherhood; family policy; parental allowance; parental leave; time allocation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D13 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Household Production and Intrahouse Allocation
- J13 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Fertility; Family Planning; Child Care; Children; Youth
- J18 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Public Policy
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Boll, Christina & Leppin, Julian Sebastian & Reich, Nora, 2011. "Einfluss der Elternzeit von Vätern auf die familiale Arbeitsteilung im internationalen Vergleich," HWWI Policy Papers 59, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI).
- Pia S. Schober, 2012. "Parental Leave Policies and Child Care Time in Couples after Childbirth," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 434, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.