Energy Demand and Supply Issues - Scenario 2020 and Implications for CDM in West African Economic and Monetary Union. Case Study: Benin, Burkina Faso, Niger and Togo
AbstractThe present study discusses energy supply challenge and assesses renewable energy potential in the studied countries. Moreover, energy demand as well as demand projection is assessed until 2020. Resulting CO2-eq emissions are also projected. The study reveals that the countries under examination lack accurate information on their renewable energy potentials. Based on cautious assumptions, countries renewable energy potentials have been assessed. Solar sources and biomass are not assessed. The study shows that countries are endowed with low renewable energy potentials. Using GDP per capita and population grow as driving forces, countries? electricity demands are projected until 2020. As result, electricity demand in case study countries will not be very high, as economic development is projected to remain low. Consequently, despite an increase in CO2 emissions, emissions will remain at a low level. Hence, the countries studied cannot be as competitive as current competing CDM countries, i.e., China, India, Brazil, etc. Strengthening energy co-operation within West African Economic and Monetary Union may reduce transaction costs, making it possible to use the available energy potential. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA) in its series HWWA Discussion Papers with number 357.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, D-20347 Hamburg
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/handle/10419/20
More information through EDIRC
Renewable energy potential; Energy supply and demand; energy demand scenarios; CDM market;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C87 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Econometric Software
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
- Q41 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Demand and Supply; Prices
- C89 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Other
- C69 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Other
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- C40 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.