The role of the IMF in the European debt crisis
AbstractThis paper gives an overview of the role of the IMF in the European debt crisis. It describes the rescue packages and the involvement of the IMF. The main part discusses the pros and cons of the participation of the IMF in elaborating and monitoring the economic adjustment programs for the countries in crisis. A last section concludes and tries to answer the question whether the Troika model might be suited to solve future international crises. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Applied Sciences Amberg-Weiden (OTH) in its series OTH im Dialog: Weidener Diskussionspapiere with number 32.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.oth-aw.de/
IMF; Europe; debt; euro;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F02 - International Economics - - General - - - International Economic Order; Noneconomic International Organizations;; Economic Integration and Globalization: General
- F53 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - International Agreements and Observance; International Organizations
- F59 - International Economics - - International Relations, National Security, and International Political Economy - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-04-10 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2012-04-10 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2012-04-10 (European Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Davide Furceri & Aleksandra Zdzienicka, 2011.
"How Costly Are Debt Crises?,"
IMF Working Papers
11/280, International Monetary Fund.
- C. Randall Henning, 2011. "Coordinating Regional and Multilateral Financial Institutions," Working Paper Series WP11-9, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Ugo Panizza, 2008.
"The Costs of Sovereign Default,"
IMF Working Papers
08/238, International Monetary Fund.
- Carlo Cottarelli & Paolo Mauro & Lorenzo Forni & Jan Gottschalk, 2010. "Default in Today's Advanced Economies," IMF Staff Position Notes 2010/12, International Monetary Fund.
- Clemens Fuest, 2011. "Will the Reform of the Institutional Framework Restore Fiscal Stability in the Eurozone?," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 12(2), pages 34-39, 07.
- Barry Eichengreen, 2007. "A Blueprint for IMF Reform: More than just a Lender," International Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(2), pages 153-175, 07.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & M. Belen Sbrancia, 2011.
"The Liquidation of Government Debt,"
NBER Working Papers
16893, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.