Compiling a harmonized database from Germany's 1978 to 2003 sample surveys of income and expenditure
AbstractWe outline a procedure for combining six cross-sections of the German Sample Survey of Income and Expenditure, and discuss potential pitfalls of such a venture. Particularly, we investigate the consequences of a major break in the survey design for inter-temporal comparisons of expenditure categories: a reduction of the surveying period from twelve to three month taking place between the census years 1993 and 1998. We demonstrate that for several commodities a division-by-four of annually-surveyed expenses cannot guarantee inter-temporal comparability of expenditure distributions. We suggest and test the performance of several alternative conversion procedures. Suitability of conversion strategies hinges upon good-specific purchase properties. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics in its series Discussion Papers with number 2010/4.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Garystr. 21, 14195 Berlin (Dahlem)
Phone: (030) 838 2272
Fax: (030) 838 2129
Web page: http://www.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/en/index.html
More information through EDIRC
German Sample Survey of Income and Expenditure; annual vs. trimestrial data;
Other versions of this item:
- Timm Bönke & Carsten Schröder & Clive Werdt, 2013. "Compiling a harmonized database from Germany’s 1978 to 2003 sample surveys of income and expenditure," AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 135-168, December.
- C8 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs
- D1 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior
- D3 - Microeconomics - - Distribution
- I3 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-08 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Timm Bönke & Carsten Schröder & Katharina Schulte, 2010.
"Incomes and Inequality in the Long Run: The Case of German Elderly,"
German Economic Review,
Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 487-510, November.
- Bönke, Timm & Schröder, Carsten & Schulte, Katharina, 2008. "Incomes and inequality in the long run: the case of German elderly," Economics Working Papers 2008,06, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Bönke, Timm & Schröder, Carsten & Schulte, Katharina, 2008. "Incomes and inequality in the long run: the case of German elderly," Discussion Papers 2008/4, Free University Berlin, School of Business & Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.