Produktivität und Effizienz in Banken: Terminologie, Methoden und Status quo
AbstractThis Working Paper gives insights into the concepts of productivity and efficiency. Both concepts are popular measures for evaluating productive units, either on macro or micro level. This paper provides clear definitions for both concepts and outlines key areas of interest in this context, such as efficiency measures, components of efficiency and the appropriate levels for the analysis. On this basis the author introduces and discusses a selection of technical approaches for measuring productivity and efficiency in a non-technical manner. Various parametric as well as non parametric approaches are summarized. In addition, the two most popular efficiency measurement techniques, Stochastic Frontier Analysis (SFA) and Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA) are compared against each other. The current status of measuring productivity and efficiency in banking is discussed and results are summarized. Key findings from productivity and efficiency analyses for German banks are outlined. Furthermore the underlying models and assumptions in relation to efficiency measurement in banking are introduced and discussed. Finally it is proposed to increase the focus on analysing processes with respect to productivity and efficiency. This approach is providing an additional point of view and gives additional insights into the productivity and efficiency in banking. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Frankfurt School of Finance and Management in its series Frankfurt School - Working Paper Series with number 92.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Produktivität; Effizienz; Produktivitätsmessung; Effizienzmessung; data envelopment analysis; stochastic frontier analysis; Effizienz in Banken; Produktivität in Banken;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Horst Gischer & Toni Richter, 2011. "'Global Player' im Bankenwesen - ökonomisch sinnvoll oder problembehaftet?," FEMM Working Papers 110012, Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg, Faculty of Economics and Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.