Emissions Trading Schemes under IFRS - Towards a “true and fair view”
AbstractThis research paper seeks to contribute to the latest discussions on the financial reporting for emissions trading schemes. It starts out by giving an overview of the International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) accounting policies, which are currently applied by the majority of participants in the EU Emissions Trading Scheme. It then argues that in order to fulfil the aims of financial reporting under IFRS, namely to provide a true and fair view, accounting must depict CO2 as a cost of production. Therefore, a fair value approach, both with respect to the initial recognition of allocated allowances and the subsequent measurement of allowances, is generally advocated. The paper finishes by highlighting the insufficiencies of the current IFRS accounting rules, which should be addressed in the upcoming new IFRS on emission trading schemes. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZBW - German National Library of Economics in its series EconStor Research Reports with number 65872.
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Carbon Pricing; Finance;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
- L50 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - General
- K34 - Law and Economics - - Other Substantive Areas of Law - - - Tax Law
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sijm, J. & Neuhoff, K. & Chen, Y., 2006. "CO2 cost pass through and windfall profits in the power sector," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge 0639, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- repec:wbk:wboper:13403 is not listed on IDEAS
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.