Causal relationship between wages and prices in R. Macedonia: VECM analysis
AbstractIn this paper the issue of causality between wages and prices in R. Macedonia has been tested. OLS relationship between prices and wages is positive; productivity is not significant in determination of prices or wages too. Engle-Granger test proved that variables of interest CPI and average real wage are cointegrated, i.e. there exists long run relationship between those variables, when first differenced. While their levels are not cointegrated. ARDL regression proved that between CPI and average real wage there exists almost significant long run relationship (tstat=1.60), and coefficient is of size 0.3353 at one lag. Unit root test showed that CPI and average real wage are I (1) variables. Johansen’s test of cointegration showed that we cannot reject the null hypothesis of having rank 1 (rank=1) and therefore the number of cointegrating vectors is one. Optimal number of lags according for VARs and VECMs is 1. From the VECM model we can see which variable responds more if there is shock in the system, and it seems that average real wage responds more on the shock in the system. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZBW - German National Library of Economics in its series EconStor Preprints with number 77910.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Granger causality; wages; prices; VECM;
Other versions of this item:
- Josheski, Dushko & Bardarova , Snezana, 2013. "Causal relationship between wages and prices in R. Macedonia: VECM analysis," MPRA Paper 48179, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C50 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - General
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-28 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jack Strauss & Mark E. Wohar, 2004. "The Linkage between Prices, Wages, and Labor Productivity: A Panel Study of Manufacturing Industries," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 920-941, April.
- Moschos, D, 1983. "Aggregate Price Responses to Wage and Productivity Changes: Evidence from the U.S," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3-4), pages 169-75.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
- Toda, Hiro Y. & Yamamoto, Taku, 1995. "Statistical inference in vector autoregressions with possibly integrated processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1-2), pages 225-250.
- Shik Heo, 2003. "The Relationship Between Efficiency Wages And Price Indexation In A Nominal Wage Contracting Model," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 28(2), pages 117-128, December.
- Saten Kumar & Don J. Webber & Geoff Perry, 2009.
"Real wages, inflation and labour productivity in Australia,"
0921, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Saten Kumar & Don J. Webber & Geoff Perry, 2012. "Real wages, inflation and labour productivity in Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 44(23), pages 2945-2954, August.
- Kumar, Saten & Webber, Don J. & Perry, Geoff, 2009. "Real Wages, Inflation and Labour Productivity in Australia," MPRA Paper 19293, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.