Spatial analysis of the tourism supply, in Portugal, at NUTs III level
AbstractThe tourism in Portugal has been an important contribution to the economic development of the country, namely in zones where is difficult to implement others activities, specifically the manufacturing. The objective of this work is to analyze, for the period 2002-2011, with spatial econometric techniques (using the GeoDa informatics program), the statistic data, available in the Statistics Portugal (INE), of some variables related with the tourism in the NUTs III of Portugal Continental, namely: capacity (N.º) in accommodation establishments; capacity in accommodation establishments per 1000 inhabitants (N.º); nights (N.º) in accommodation establishments; nights in accommodation establishments per 100 inhabitants (N.º); accommodation establishments (N.º); average stay (N.º) in accommodation establishments; customers (N.º) in accommodation establishments; proportion of foreign customers (%); and net rate of bed occupancy (%) in accommodation establishments. The first, third, fifth, sixth, seventh and ninth variables were further disaggregated for the several forms of accommodation establishments, as following: all accommodation establishments; hotels; pensions; guesthouses; inns; motels; hotels-apartments; holiday villages; and tourist apartments. The data was used in average and the econometric analyses were cross section. There are some signs of spatial autocorrelation in some variables and some forms of accommodation establishments. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZBW - German National Library of Economics in its series EconStor Preprints with number 71762.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Spatial econometrics; Tourism supply; Portuguese NUTs III;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- L83 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Sports; Gambling; Restaurants; Recreation; Tourism
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2013-04-27 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-TUR-2013-04-27 (Tourism Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ana C. M. Daniel & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2010. "Volatility and Seasonality of Tourism Demand in Portugal," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Odília A. M. Meneses & Aurora A C Teixeira, 2011. "The innovative behaviour of tourism firms," Economics and Management Research Projects: An International Journal, Open Access International Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 25-35, February.
- Adriana Corfu & Zélia Breda & Carlos Costa, 2006. "Eu Integration And Tourism Destination Management: The Case Of Portugal," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 8(20), pages 20-29, June.
- Tamara de la Mata & Carlos Llano-Verduras, 2012. "Spatial pattern and domestic tourism: An econometric analysis using inter-regional monetary flows by type of journey," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 437-470, 06.
- Jorge Andraz & Paulo Rodrigues, 2010. "Events that marked tourism in Portugal," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(8), pages 761-766.
- Nuno Carlos LEITÃO, 2010. "Does Trade Help to Explain Tourism Demand? The Case of Portugal," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 3(3(544)), pages 63-74, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.