Market value of the firms and R&D investment: Theoretical overview and empirical estimation for the panel of countries
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to investigate the issue of R&D investment and the market value of the firm. This idea dating back from Arrow paper, later developed by Paul Romer but in the area of economic growth. Zvi Griliches (1979), first introduced the production function, which later would be used in a vast literature from this area (Market value of the firms and R&D investment). In the theoretical section of this paper we are describing Tobin’s original model, and Abel’s (1984) model, this models relates Tobin’s quotient with intangible assets of the company. In the empirical part we develop cross-section time series model (Feasible Generalized Least Squares Model), for a panel of countries in Europe including UK and Turkey, in total of 11 panels. Later we test that model by estimating the marginal effects of R&D investment with Tobin’s q on a small economy such as R. Macedonia. The results exert positive and statistically significant relationship between market value of the firms and R&D investment. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZBW - German National Library of Economics in its series EconStor Preprints with number 68488.
Date of creation: 31 Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Tobin’s q; R&D; knowledge absorption;
Other versions of this item:
- Josheski, Dushko & Magdinceva-Sopova, Marija, 2013. "Market value of the firms and R&D investment: Theoretical overview and empirical estimation for the panel of countries," MPRA Paper 44094, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- D9 - Microeconomics - - Intertemporal Choice
- D46 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Value Theory
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-03-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2013-03-02 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2013-03-02 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2013-03-02 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-SBM-2013-03-02 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-TID-2013-03-02 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Connolly, Robert A & Hirschey, Mark, 1984. "R&D, Market Structure, and Profits: A Value-Based Approach," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 66(4), pages 682-86, November.
- Iain Cockburn & Zvi Griliches, 1987.
"Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Markets Valuation of R&D and Patents,"
NBER Working Papers
2465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cockburn, Iain & Griliches, Zvi, 1988. "Industry Effects and Appropriability Measures in the Stock Market's Valuation of R&D and Patents," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(2), pages 419-23, May.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Missaka Warusawitharana, 2008. "Research and development, profits and firm value: a structural estimation," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2008-52, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Grid Thoma & Salvatore Torrisi, 2006.
"The market value of patents and R&D: Evidence from European firms,"
KITeS Working Papers
186, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Nov 2006.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Grid Thoma & Salvatore Torrisi, 2007. "The market value of patents and R&D: Evidence from European firms," NBER Working Papers 13426, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Megna, Pamela & Klock, Mark, 1993. "The Impact on Intangible Capital on Tobin's q in the Semiconductor Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 265-69, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.