What the Keynesian theory said about Portugal?
AbstractWith this work it is intended to analyze the contributions of the Keynesian theory to the explanation of the regional evolution in Portugal. Considering the Keynesian models in different perspectives and taking into account the Verdoorn (1949) relationship it is did data and econometric analysis for the Portuguese economy in the period from 1995 to 1999. There are not many or none works based in the Keynesian theory and in the Verdoorn relationship for Portugal, namely at regional level. On the other hand the models based in this theory are regularly used to explain the regional economic growth in many countries. So, it is thought that analyze the economic Portuguese context with this theory is an important contribution to the economic theory and to the Portuguese understanding. As main conclusion it can be said that the Keynesian theory show for Portugal, in this period, regional and sectoral divergence. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ZBW - German National Library of Economics in its series EconStor Preprints with number 59007.
Date of creation: 18 Jun 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Keynesian theory; Verdoorn law; Portuguese regions;
Other versions of this item:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-GEO-2012-07-01 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-PKE-2012-07-01 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giorgio Fazio & Enza Maltese & Davide Piacentino, 2013.
"Estimating Verdoorn law for Italian firms and regions,"
Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences,
Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 45-54, March.
- Fazio, Giorgio & Maltese, Enza & Piacentino, Davide, 2011. "Estimating Verdoorn law for Italian firms and regions," MPRA Paper 35388, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Christian Dreger, 2005.
"Thresholds for Employment and Unemployment - a Spatial Analysis of German Regional Labour Markets 1992-2000,"
ERSA conference papers
ersa05p39, European Regional Science Association.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Christian Dreger, 2006. "Thresholds for employment and unemployment: A spatial analysis of German regional labour markets, 1992-2000," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 85(4), pages 523-542, November.
- Romina Gambacorta, 2004. "Il dibattito sulla legge di Verdoorn: alcuni risultati empirici usando l’analisi di cointegrazione," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 94(3), pages 251-, May-June.
- Reinhold Kosfeld & Christian Dreger, 2004. "Thresholds for Employment and Unemployment. A Spatial Analysis of German Regional Labour Markets 1992-2000," Discussion Papers in Economics 52/04, University of Kassel, Institute of Economics.
- Nicholas Apergis & Spyros Zikos, 2003. "The Law of Verdoorn: Evidence from Greek Disaggregated Manufacturing Time Series Data," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 34(1), pages 87â104.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011.
"Spatial Effects and Verdoorn Law in the Portuguese Context,"
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011. "Spatial effects and Verdoorn law in the Portuguese context," MPRA Paper 32183, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fingleton, B & McCombie, J S L, 1998. "Increasing Returns and Economic Growth: Some Evidence for Manufacturing from the European Union Regions," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 89-105, January.
- Elias Soukiazis & Vitor Martinho, 2005. "Economias à Escala e Endogeneidade dos Factores Produtivos. Análise regional e sectorial ao nível das NUTs II portuguesas," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 22, pages 23-50, December.
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011.
"An alternative use of the Verdoorn law at the Portuguese nuts II level,"
32189, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011. "An Alternative Use of the Verdoorn Law at the Portuguese NUTs II Level," Papers 1110.5548, arXiv.org.
- Stilianos Alexiadis & Dimitrios Tsagdis, 2006. "Reassessing the validity of Verdoorn's law under conditions of spatial dependence: a case study of the Greek regions," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 29(1), pages 149-170, October.
- Fernando de Aquino Fonseca Neto & Joanílio Rodolpho Teixeira, 2004. "Globalização Econômica e Investimentos no Brasil," Working papers - Textos para Discussao do Departamento de Economia da Universidade de Brasilia 322, Departamento de Economia da Universidade de Brasilia.
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011.
"The Verdoorn law in the Portuguese regions: a panel data analysis,"
32186, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vitor Joao Pereira Domingues Martinho, 2011. "The Verdoorn Law in the Portuguese Regions: A Panel Data Analysis," Papers 1110.5544, arXiv.org.
- Ingrid H. Rima, 2010. "The Political Economy of the Undervalued Renminbi," DETU Working Papers 1012, Department of Economics, Temple University.
- Rowthorn, R E, 1979. "A Note on Verdoorn's Law," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 89(353), pages 131-33, March.
- Ferdinando Ofria, 2009. "L'approccio Kaldor-Verdoorn: una verifica empirica per il Centro-Nord e il Mezzogiorno d'Italia (anni 1951-2006)," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, issue 1, pages 179-207, January-M.
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011. "Application of keynesian theory and new economic geography in Portugal. Differences and similarities," MPRA Paper 32911, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Martinho, Vítor João Pereira Domingues, 2011. "What said the economic theory about Portugal. Another approach," MPRA Paper 33022, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.