Analysing farmers' use of price hedging instruments: an experimental approach
AbstractThis paper analyses the influencing factors of farmers' use of price hedging instruments (PHIs) based upon a discrete choice experiment with German grain farmers. A mixed logit model is used to determine whether farmers' choices of PHIs against cash sales are influenced by their price expectation, their risk attitude and their available storage capacities. The results show that farmers with a price expectation below the actual price level have a higher preference for using PHIs against cash sales in general and that the individual degree of risk aversion can have a significant impact on farmers' choices of a specific PHI. A generally lower preference of farmers with available storage capacities for using PHIs as assumed in many theoretical contributions in the literature, however, cannot be confirmed. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Georg-August University of Göttingen, Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development (DARE) in its series DARE Discussion Papers with number 1306.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Train,Kenneth E., 2009.
"Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521766555, December.
- Philip Garcia, 2004. "A selected review of agricultural commodity futures and options markets," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 31(3), pages 235-272, September.
- Sartwelle, James D., III & O'Brien, Daniel M. & Tierney, William I., Jr. & Eggers, Tim, 2000. "The Effect Of Personal And Farm Characteristics Upon Grain Marketing Practices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(01), April.
- Loy, Jens-Peter & Pieniadz, Agata, 2009. "Optimal Grain Marketing Revisited: A German and Polish Perspective," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51058, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Roosen, Jutta & Fox, John A., 2001.
"Demand For Beef From Cattle Administered Growth Hormones Or Fed Genetically Modified Corn: A Comparison Of Consumers In France, Germany, The United Kingdom, And The United States,"
2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL
20684, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Jayson L. Lusk & Jutta Roosen & John A. Fox, 2003. "Demand for Beef from Cattle Administered Growth Hormones or Fed Genetically Modified Corn: A Comparison of Consumers in France, Germany, the United Kingdom, and the United States," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(1), pages 16-29.
- Arne Risa Hole, 2007. "Fitting mixed logit models by using maximum simulated likelihood," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 7(3), pages 388-401, September.
- Thomas Dohmen & Armin Falk & David Huffman & Uwe Sunde & Jürgen Schupp & Gert G. Wagner, 2011.
"Individual Risk Attitudes: Measurement, Determinants, And Behavioral Consequences,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 9(3), pages 522-550, 06.
- Dohmen Thomas & Falk Armin & Huffman David & Sunde Uwe & Schupp Jürgen & Wagner Gert G., 2009. "Individual Risk Attitudes: Measurement, Determinants and Behavioral Consequences," Research Memorandum 039, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Dohmen Thomas & Falk Armin & Huffman David & Sunde Uwe & Schupp Jürgen & Wagner Gert, 2009. "Individual Risk Attitudes: Measurement, Determinants and Behavioral Consequences," ROA Research Memorandum 007, Maastricht University, Research Centre for Education and the Labour Market (ROA).
- Peter Boxall & Wiktor Adamowicz, 2002. "Understanding Heterogeneous Preferences in Random Utility Models: A Latent Class Approach," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 23(4), pages 421-446, December.
- Gunnar Breustedt & Jörg Müller-Schee�el & Uwe Latacz-Lohmann, 2008. "Forecasting the Adoption of GM Oilseed Rape: Evidence from a Discrete Choice Experiment in Germany," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 237-256, 06.
- Paulson, Nicholas D., 2010.
"An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of Marketing Contract Structures for Corn and Soybeans,"
Staff General Research Papers
31523, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Paulson Nicholas D & Katchova Ani L & Lence Sergio H, 2010. "An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of Marketing Contract Structures for Corn and Soybeans," Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization, De Gruyter, vol. 8(1), pages 1-25, May.
- Paulson, Nicholas D. & Katchova, Ani & Lence, Sergio H., 2010. "An Empirical Analysis of the Determinants of Marketing Contract Structures for Corn and Soybeans," Staff General Research Papers 31525, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Sumpsi, JoseMaria & Amador, Francisco & Romero, Carlos, 1997. "On farmers' objectives: A multi-criteria approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 96(1), pages 64-71, January.
- Hagedorn, Lewis A. & Irwin, Scott H. & Martines-Filho, Joao & Good, Darrel L. & Sherrick, Bruce J. & Schnitkey, Gary D., 2003. "New Generation Grain Marketing Contracts," AgMAS Project Research Reports 14782, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of Agricultural and Consumer Economics.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132.
- Daniel McFadden, 1986. "The Choice Theory Approach to Market Research," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 5(4), pages 275-297.
- Kuhberger, Anton & Schulte-Mecklenbeck, Michael & Perner, Josef, 2002. "Framing decisions: Hypothetical and real," Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, Elsevier, vol. 89(2), pages 1162-1175, November.
- David Hensher & William Greene, 2003. "The Mixed Logit model: The state of practice," Transportation, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 133-176, May.
- Olivier Mahul, 2003. "Hedging price risk in the presence of crop yield and revenue insurance," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 30(2), pages 217-239, June.
- Jason R.V. Franken & Joost M. E. Pennings & Philip Garcia, 2012. "Crop Production Contracts and Marketing Strategies: What Drives Their Use?," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(3), pages 324-340, 06.
- Bhat, Chandra R., 2001. "Quasi-random maximum simulated likelihood estimation of the mixed multinomial logit model," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 35(7), pages 677-693, August.
- Greene, William H. & Hensher, David A., 2003. "A latent class model for discrete choice analysis: contrasts with mixed logit," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 681-698, September.
- Maria Espinosa-Goded & Jes�s Barreiro-Hurlé & Eric Ruto, 2010. "What Do Farmers Want From Agri-Environmental Scheme Design? A Choice Experiment Approach," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(2), pages 259-273.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.