Number of bank relationships: An indicator of competition, borrower quality, or just size?
AbstractIn this study the firms choice of the number of bank relationships is analyzed with respect to influential factors like borrower quality, size and the existence of a close housebank relationship. Then, the number of bank relationships is used as a proxy to examine if bank competition is reflected in loan terms. It is shown that the number of bank relationships is foremost determined by borrower size and the existence of a housebank relationship. Loan rate spreads are not effected by the number of bank relationships. However, borrowers with a small number of bank relationships provide more collateral and get more credit. These effects are amplified by a housebank relationship. Housebanks get more collateral and are ready to take a larger stake in the financing of their customers. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Financial Studies (CFS) in its series CFS Working Paper Series with number 2000/06.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: House of Finance, Grüneburgplatz 1, HPF H5, D-60323 Frankfurt am Main
Phone: +49 (0)69 798-30050
Fax: +49 (0)69 798-30077
Web page: http://www.ifk-cfs.de/
More information through EDIRC
Relationship banking; Bank loan terms; Internal borrower rating;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harhoff, Dietmar & Körting, Timm, 1998.
"Lending Relationships in Germany: Empirical Results from Survey Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1917, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dietmar Harhoff & Timm Körting, 1998. "Lending Relationships in Germany: Empirical Results from Survey Data," CIG Working Papers FS IV 98-06, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Elsas, Ralf & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 1998.
"Is relationship lending special? Evidence from credit-file data in Germany,"
CFS Working Paper Series
1998/05, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Elsas, Ralf & Krahnen, Jan Pieter, 1998. "Is relationship lending special? Evidence from credit-file data in Germany," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1283-1316, October.
- Ewert, Ralf & Schenk, Gerald, 1998. "Determinants of bank lending performance," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/06, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1992.
"Some Evidence on the Empirical Significance of Credit Rationing,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 1047-77, October.
- Allen N. Berger & Gregory F. Udell, 1990. "Some evidence on the empirical significance of credit rationing," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 105, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1995.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blackwell, David W & Winters, Drew B, 1997. "Banking Relationships and the Effect of Monitoring on Loan Pricing," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association & Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 275-89, Summer.
- Besanko, David & Thakor, Anjan V, 1987. "Collateral and Rationing: Sorting Equilibria in Monopolistic and Competitive Credit Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 671-89, October.
- Altman, Edward I, 1989. " Measuring Corporate Bond Mortality and Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(4), pages 909-22, September.
- Fons, Jerome S, 1987. " The Default Premium and Corporate Bond Experience," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 81-97, March.
- Houston, Joel & James, Christopher, 1996. " Bank Information Monopolies and the Mix of Private and Public Debt Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(5), pages 1863-89, December.
- Machauer, Achim & Weber, Martin, 1998. "Bank behavior based on internal credit ratings of borrowers," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(10-11), pages 1355-1383, October.
- D'Auria, Claudio & Foglia, Antonella & Reedtz, Paolo Marullo, 1999. "Bank interest rates and credit relationships in Italy," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 23(7), pages 1067-1093, July.
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1994. " The Benefits of Lending Relationships: Evidence from Small Business Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 3-37, March.
- Machauer, Achim & Weber, Martin, 1998. "Bank behavior based on internal credit ratings of borrowers," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/08, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Berger, Allen N & Udell, Gregory F, 1995. "Relationship Lending and Lines of Credit in Small Firm Finance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 351-81, July.
- Bester, Helmut, 1985. "Screening vs. Rationing in Credit Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 850-55, September.
- Doris Neuberger & Christoph Schacht, 2005. "The Number of Bank Relationships of SMEs: A Disaggregated Analysis for the Swiss Loan Market," Finance 0506018, EconWPA.
- Jorge M.Streb & Javier Bolzico & Pablo Druck & Alejandro Henke & José Rutman & Walter Sosa Escudero, 2002.
"Bank relationships: effect on the availability and marginal cost of credit for firms in Argentina,"
CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo.
216, Universidad del CEMA.
- Jorge M. Streb & Javier Bolzico & Pablo Druck & Alejandro Henke & José Rutman & Walter Sosa Escudero, 2002. "Bank Relationships: Effect on the Availability and Marginal Cost of Credit for Firms in Argentina," Research Department Publications 3140, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Biais, Bruno & Mariotti, Thomas, 2003.
"Strategic Liquidity Supply and Security Design,"
IDEI Working Papers
160, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse, revised Mar 2004.
- Biais, Bruno & Mariotti, Thomas, 2002. "Strategic Liquidity Supply and Security Design," CEPR Discussion Papers 3369, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bruno Biais & Thomas Mariotti, 2003. "Strategic liquidity supply and security design," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 19323, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bruno Biais & Thomas Mariotti, 2003. "Strategic Liquidity Supply and Security Design," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 445, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- MEREUTA, Cezar & CAPRARU, Bogdan, 2012. "Romanian Banking Competition. A New Structural Approach," Working Papers of National Institute of Economic Research 120722, National Institute of Economic Research.
- Gajewski, Krzysztof & Pawłowska, Małgorzata & Rogowski, Wojciech, 2012.
"Relacje firm z bankami w Polsce w świetle danych ze sprawozdawczości bankowej
[Bank-firm relationships in Poland in the light of data from bank reporting]," MPRA Paper 42544, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 29 Oct 2012.
- Jos� Miguel Benavente & Alexander Galetovic & Ricardo Sanhueza, 2005. "La din�mica industrial y el financiamiento de las pyme," Documentos de Trabajo 201, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Neuberger, Doris & Schacht, Christoph, 2005.
"The number of bank relationships of SMEs: A disaggregated analysis for the Swiss loan market,"
Thuenen-Series of Applied Economic Theory
52, University of Rostock, Institute of Economics.
- Doris Neuberger & Christoph Schacht, 2005. "The Number of Bank Relationships of SMEs: A Disaggregated Analysis for the Swiss Loan Market," Finance 0509001, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.