The role of uncertainty in the euro crisis: A reconsideration of liquidity preference theory
AbstractAn active role of fiscal policy has been rediscovered as a crisis remedy at the beginning of the financial crisis all over Europe. More recently, the Euro Crisis with its mounting governments' funding costs for a number of Southern EU member states and Ireland has called this strategy into question. As opposed to this view, the main point of this contribution is to elaborate a link between rising sovereign risk premia in the Eurozone and a major feature of the financial crisis - which culminated in elevated uncertainty after the Lehman collapse. Theoretically, this link is developed with a reference to Keynes' liquidity preference theory. Empirically, a high explanatory power of rising uncertainty in financial markets and detrimental effects of fiscal austerity for the evolution of sovereign risk spreads are demonstrated by means of panel regressions and supplementary correlation analyses. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Hamburg, Centre for Economic and Sociological Studies (CESS/ZÖSS) in its series Discussion Papers with number 31.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.wiso.uni-hamburg.de/forschung/zoess/english-versioncess/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E12 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Keynes; Keynesian; Post-Keynesian
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2012-09-03 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2012-09-03 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lorenzo Codogno & Carlo Favero & Alessandro Missale, 2003. "Yield spreads on EMU government bonds," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 18(37), pages 503-532, October.
- Viral V. Acharya & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2004.
"Asset Pricing with Liquidity Risk,"
NBER Working Papers
10814, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kerstin Bernoth & Burcu Erdogan, 2010.
"Sovereign Bond Yield Spreads: A Time-Varying Coefficient Approach,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
1078, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & Erdogan, Burcu, 2012. "Sovereign bond yield spreads: A time-varying coefficient approach," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 639-656.
- Bernoth, Kerstin & Erdogan, Burcu, 2010. "Sovereign bond yield spreads: a time-varying coefficient approach," Discussion Papers 289, European University Viadrina Frankfurt (Oder), Department of Business Administration and Economics.
- Simone Salotti & Luigi Marattin, 2010.
"The Euro-dividend: public debt and interest rates in the Monetary Union,"
Working Papers - Mathematical Economics
2010-04, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- L. Marattin & S. Salotti, 2010. "The Euro-dividend: public debt and interest rates in the Monetary Union," Working Papers 695, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Orlowski, Lucjan T., 2008.
"Stages of the 2007/2008 Global Financial Crisis Is There a Wandering Asset-Price Bubble?,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2008-43, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Orlowski, Lucjan T, 2008. "Stages of the 2007/2008 Global Financial Crisis: Is There a Wandering Asset-Price Bubble?," MPRA Paper 12696, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2009. "This Time Is Different: Eight Centuries of Financial Folly," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 8973.
- Alessandro Beber & Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2006.
"Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence From the Euro-Area Bond Market,"
NBER Working Papers
12376, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alessandro Beber & Michael W. Brandt & Kenneth A. Kavajecz, 2009. "Flight-to-Quality or Flight-to-Liquidity? Evidence from the Euro-Area Bond Market," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(3), pages 925-957, March.
- Luciana Barbosa & Sónia Costa, 2010. "Determinants of sovereign bond yield spreads in the euro area in," Working Papers w201022, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Dötz, Niko & Fischer, Christoph, 2010. "What can EMU countries' sovereign bond spreads tell us about market perceptions of default probabilities during the recent financial crisis?," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2010,11, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Edward I. Altman & Herbert A. Rijken, 2011. "Toward a Bottom‐Up Approach to Assessing Sovereign Default Risk," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 23(1), pages 20-31, 01.
- Edda Zoli & Silvia Sgherri, 2009. "Euro Area Sovereign Risk During the Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/222, International Monetary Fund.
- António Afonso & Pedro Gomes & Philipp Rother, 2006.
"What “Hides” Behind Sovereign Debt Ratings?,"
Working Papers Department of Economics
2006/35, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.