Managing investment risks of institutional private equity investors: The challenge of illiquidity
AbstractSince private equity investments are not publicly traded, a key issue in measuring investment risks of institutional private equity investors arises from a careful measurement of investment returns in the first place. Prices of private equity investments are typically observed at low frequency and are determined by transactions under low liquidity. This contribution highlights useful approaches to the problem of return measurement under conditions of illiquidity. Then, specific risk management issues, including asset allocation issues, are discussed. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS), Technische Universität München in its series CEFS Working Paper Series with number 2003-01.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
private equity; risk/return measurement; net asset values; cash flows; illiquidity; stale pricing; risk management; asset allocation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Getmansky, Mila & Lo, Andrew W. & Makarov, Igor, 2004.
"An econometric model of serial correlation and illiquidity in hedge fund returns,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 74(3), pages 529-609, December.
- Getmansky, Mila & Lo, Andrew & Makarov, Igor, 2003. "An Econometric Model of Serial Correlation and Illiquidity In Hedge Fund Returns," Working papers 4288-03, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Mila Getmansky & Andrew W. Lo & Igor Makarov, 2003. "An Econometric Model of Serial Correlation and Illiquidity in Hedge Fund Returns," NBER Working Papers 9571, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- G. C. Reid & N. G. Terry & J. A. Smith, 1997.
"Risk management in venture capital investor?investee relations,"
The European Journal of Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 27-47.
- Gavin C Reid & Nicholas G Terry & Julia A Smith, 1995. "Risk Management in Venture Capital Investor-Investee Relations," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9505, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Cochrane, John H., 2005.
"The risk and return of venture capital,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 3-52, January.
- John H. Cochrane, 2001. "The Risk and Return of Venture Capital," NBER Working Papers 8066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cochrane, John, 2000. "The Risk and Return of Venture Capital," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt7qm9h594, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Lo, Andrew W. & Craig MacKinlay, A., 1990.
"An econometric analysis of nonsynchronous trading,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 181-211.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1991. "An Econometric Analysis of Nonsynchronous Trading," NBER Working Papers 2960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo & Craig A. MacKinlay, . "An Econometric Analysis of Nonsyschronous-Trading," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 19-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Norton, Edgar & Tenenbaum, Bernard H., 1993. "Specialization versus diversification as a venture capital investment strategy," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(5), pages 431-442, September.
- Steven Kaplan & Antoinette Schoar, 2003. "Private Equity Performance: Returns, Persistence and Capital," NBER Working Papers 9807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Scholes, Myron & Williams, Joseph, 1977. "Estimating betas from nonsynchronous data," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 309-327, December.
- Alexander Ljungqvist & Matthew Richardson, 2003. "The cash flow, return and risk characteristics of private equity," NBER Working Papers 9454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Liang Peng, 2001. "A New Approach of Valuing Illiquid Asset Portfolios," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm175, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2001.
- Longstaff, Francis A, 1995. " How Much Can Marketability Affect Security Values?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(5), pages 1767-74, December.
- Cohen, Kalman J. & Hawawini, Gabriel A. & Maier, Steven F. & Schwartz, Robert A. & Whitcomb, David K., 1983. "Friction in the trading process and the estimation of systematic risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 263-278, August.
- Buchner, Axel & Kaserer, Christoph & Wagner, Niklas, 2006. "Stochastic modeling of private equity: an equilibrium based approach to fund valuation," CEFS Working Paper Series 2006-02, Center for Entrepreneurial and Financial Studies (CEFS), Technische Universität München.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.