Silvio Gesell: 'a strange, unduly neglected' monetary theorist
AbstractGiven the renewed interest in negative interest rates as method for removing the floor to nominal interest rates, this article offers a concise review of Gesell's life, work and its place in the history of economic thought. It provides a brief biographical sketch of Gesell, demonstrating both his relative prominence as a social reformer during the interwar years as well as his close affiliation with anarchism. The article then gives a concise summary of Gesell's theory of effective demand and interest as expounded in the Natural Economic Order, the former being neglected by most scholars working on the subject. Finally, it is demonstrated that Keynes endorsement of Gesell as a strange, unduly neglected prophet is another piece of evidence for rejecting Hick's classic interpretation of the General Theory. If one takes Keynes extensive discussion of Gesell's theory of interest as a key for understanding the General Theory, Keynes main innovation of General Theory becomes a monetary theory of interest based on uncertainty that results in liquidity preference. The limited literature on Keynes' link to Gesell, published mainly in the 1940s, has however been widely ignored in the debate about the General Theory. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center of Applied Economic Research Münster (CAWM), University of Münster in its series CAWM Discussion Papers with number 23.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
History of Economic Thought; Theory of Interest; Negative Interest Rates; John Maynard Keynes; Silvio Gesell;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B19 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - Other
- B22 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - Macroeconomics
- B31 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought: Individuals - - - Individuals
- E49 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Other
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-21 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2011-11-21 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2011-11-21 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
- NEP-MON-2011-11-21 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-PKE-2011-11-21 (Post Keynesian Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George A. Akerlof, 2009. "How Human Psychology Drives the Economy and Why It Matters," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1175-1175.
- Warren J. Samuels, 2003.
"Why the Georgist Movement Has Not Succeeded:,"
American Journal of Economics and Sociology,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 62(3), pages 629-632, 07.
- P. Davidson., 2006. "The Post Keynesian School," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 8.
- Warren Young & William Darity, Jr., 2004. "IS-LM-BP: An Inquest," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 36(5), pages 127-164, Supplemen.
- Jérôme Blanc, 2002. "Silvio Gesell, socialiste proudhonien et réformateur monétaire," Post-Print halshs-00168528, HAL.
- Steven M. Fazzari, 2009. "Keynesian macroeconomics as the rejection of classical axioms," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 32(1), pages 3-18, September.
- Laidler,David, 1999.
"Fabricating the Keynesian Revolution,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521641739, December.
- William Darity, Jr., 1995. "Keynes' Political Philosophy: The Gesell Connection," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 21(1), pages 27-41, Winter.
- Mitsuhiro Fukao, 2005. "The effects of â€˜Gesellâ€™ (Currency) taxes in promoting Japan's economic recovery," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 173-188, November.
- George Argitis, 2008. "Inflation targeting and Keynes's political economy," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 31(2), pages 249-270, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.