The impact of thin capitalization rules on shareholder financing
AbstractFrom a tax planner's point of view, it is often attractive to choose debt over equity financing. As this has led to an increase of debt financing of corporations, many countries have introduced thin capitalization rules to secure their tax revenues. We analyze the influence of section 8a of the German Corporate Tax Code on corporate capital structure decisions. Furthermore, the impact of the new interest barrier is taken into consideration. The existence of the Miller equilibrium as well as definite financing effects depend significantly on the fraction of long-term debt, of substantial shareholders and when capital gains are realized. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by arqus - Arbeitskreis Quantitative Steuerlehre in its series arqus Discussion Papers in Quantitative Tax Research with number 39.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.arqus.info/
business taxation; capital structure; interest barrier; Miller equilibrium; share holder financing; thin capitalization rules;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H25 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Business Taxes and Subsidies
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thiess Buettner & Michael Overesch & Ulrich Schreiber & Georg Wamser, 2006.
"The Impact of Thin-Capitalization Rules on Multinationals' Financing and Investment Decisions,"
2006-06, University of Kentucky, Institute for Federalism and Intergovernmental Relations.
- Büttner, Thiess & Overesch, Michael & Schreiber, Ulrich & Wamser, Georg, 2008. "The impact of thin-capitalization rules on multinationals' financing and investment decisions," Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies 2008,03, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Schreiber, Ulrich & Overesch, Michael & Büttner, Thiess & Wamser, Georg, 2006. "The Impact of Thin-Capitalization Rules on Multinationals? Financing and Investment Decisions," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-68, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Thiess Büttner & Michael Overesch & Ulrich Schreiber & Georg Wamser, 2006. "The Impact of Thin-Capitalization Rules on Multinationals’ Financing and Investment Decisions," CESifo Working Paper Series 1817, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fischer, Edwin O & Heinkel, Robert & Zechner, Josef, 1989. " Dynamic Capital Structure Choice: Theory and Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 19-40, March.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W, 1980. " Leverage and Dividend Irrelevancy under Corporate and Personal Taxation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 453-64, May.
- Lachmund, Andreas & Kiesewetter, Dirk, 2004.
"Wirkungen einer Abgeltungssteuer auf Investitionsentscheidungen und Kapitalstruktur von Unternehmen,"
278, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Kiesewetter, Dirk & Lachmund, Andreas, 2004.
"Wirkungen einer Abgeltungssteuer auf Investitionsentscheidungen und Kapitalstruktur von Unternehmen
[Effects of a flat rate tax on investment decisions and capital structure of companies]," MPRA Paper 27177, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kiesewetter, Dirk & Lachmund, Andreas, 2004. "Wirkungen einer Abgeltungssteuer auf Investitionsentscheidungen und Kapitalstruktur von Unternehmen
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W., 1980. "Optimal capital structure under corporate and personal taxation," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 3-29, March.
- Zechner, Josef, 1990. "Tax Clienteles and Optimal Capital Structure under Uncertainty," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(4), pages 465-91, October.
- Michael Overesch & Georg Wamser, 2006.
"German Inbound Investment, Corporate Tax Planning, and Thin-Capitalization Rules - A Difference-in-Differences Approach,"
Ifo Working Paper Series
Ifo Working Papers No. 37, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Overesch, Michael & Wamser, Georg, 2006. "German inbound investment, corporate tax planning, and thin-capitalization rules: a difference-in-differences approach," ZEW Discussion Papers 06-75, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.