Market versus state in building the aviation value chain
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to analyze the liberalization of the aviation value chain and the remaining role of government policy. In particular, the role of sector-specific regulation of monopolistic bottleneck components of the air traffic value chain is analyzed. For competition on air transport markets and groundhandling services to operate efficiently, non-discriminatory access to complementary monopolistic airport infrastructures must be guaranteed. In particular, the evolution of market driven slot allocation and the role of airport regulation is analyzed. Finally, the issue of airport subsidies is taken into consideration. --
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy in its series Discussion Papers with number 146.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Kollegiengebäde II, Platz der Alten Synagoge, 79085 Freiburg
Phone: +49 +761 / 203 2301
Fax: +49 +761 / 203 2303
Web page: http://portal.uni-freiburg.de/vw/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-07-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2013-07-05 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-TRE-2013-07-05 (Transport Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Knieps, Günther, 2010. "Regulatory reforms of European network industries and the courts," Discussion Papers 129 [rev.], University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
- Baumol, William J, 1982. "Contestable Markets: An Uprising in the Theory of Industry Structure," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 72(1), pages 1-15, March.
- Knieps, Günter, 2013. "Europäische Telekommunikationsregulierung: Quo vadis?," Discussion Papers 143, University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
- Knieps, GÃ¼nter, 2013. "The evolution of the generalized differentiated services architecture and the changing role of the Internet engineering task force," Discussion Papers 147, University of Freiburg, Institute for Transport Economics and Regional Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.