Impact of the transition on the TFP in Croatia
AbstractIn this paper we investigate the impact transition had on the total factor productivity in Croatia. The analyzed data cover the period from 1952 to 2008. Our sample is interesting for several reasons. It includes first estimates of physical capital for Croatia in the pretransition period. In addition to new physical capital series used in the estimation of Croatian TFP, labor has been used in three different forms: as raw labor and as labor corrected with two alternative proxies of human capital. The obtained data enable us to investigate how the introduction of market mechanisms in the early nineties affected total factor productivity. After deriving the TFP values using growth accounting methodology, we investigate how the contribution of TFP to GDP growth changed with the beginning of transition. In addition, we conduct structural break analysis, taking into an account, not only transition process but the pretransition period as well. Results suggest that transition had a positive impact on total factor productivity growth rates, but not on the share of TFP in the GDP growth rate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Faculty of Economics and Business, University of Zagreb in its series EFZG Working Papers Series with number 1205.
Date of creation: 10 Oct 2012
Date of revision:
total factor productivity; transition; growth accounting; structural breaks;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- P24 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Systems and Transition Economies - - - National Income, Product, and Expenditure; Money; Inflation
- N14 - Economic History - - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics; Industrial Structure; Growth; Fluctuations - - - Europe: 1913-
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative,"
Econometrica, Econometric Society,
Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Tom Doan, . "APBREAKTEST: RATS procedure to implement Andrews-Ploberger Structural Break Test," Statistical Software Components RTS00006, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University 1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Tom Doan, . "REGHBREAK: RATS procedure to perform structural break test with bootstrapped p-values," Statistical Software Components RTS00176, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "APGRADIENTTEST: RATS procedure to perform Andrews-Ploberger Structural Break Test for GARCH/Maximum Likelihood," Statistical Software Components RTS00007, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995.
"Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes,"
Cahiers de recherche, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en Ã©conomie quantitative, CIREQ
9552, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 1998. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, Econometric Society, vol. 66(1), pages 47-78, January.
- Perron, P. & Bai, J., 1995. "Estimating and Testing Linear Models with Multiple Structural Changes," Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques 9552, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- BAI, Jushan & PERRON, Pierre, 1998.
"Computation and Analysis of Multiple Structural-Change Models,"
Cahiers de recherche, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques
9807, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Computation and analysis of multiple structural change models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(1), pages 1-22.
- Jushan Bai & Pierre Perron, 2003. "Critical values for multiple structural change tests," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(1), pages 72-78, 06.
- Zajc Petranović, Matea & Tomas, Željka & Smolej Narančić, Nina & Škarić-Jurić, Tatjana & Veček, Andrea & Miličić, Jasna, 2014. "A six decades long follow-up on body size in adolescents from Zagreb, Croatia (1951–2010)," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 13(C), pages 155-164.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (WPS).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.