The History of Corporate Ownership in China: State Patronage, Company Legislation, and the Issue of Control
AbstractThis paper examines the emergence of corporate ownership in China from the final decades of the Qing empire in the late 19th century to the early Republican period in the 1910s and 1920s. By analyzing the actual process of incorporation, the development of the legal and financial environment, in particular the role of the state, we ask whether the top-down approach, in which the central government established a legal framework for corporate enterprise based on Western models and the assumption that it would work as it did for Western firms and markets, was a viable approach to the modernization of a
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale School of Management in its series Yale School of Management Working Papers with number ysm450.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- William N. Goetzmann & Elisabeth Koll, 2005. "The History of Corporate Ownership in China: State Patronage, Company Legislation, and the Issue of Control," NBER Chapters, in: A History of Corporate Governance around the World: Family Business Groups to Professional Managers, pages 149-184 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- NEP-ACC-2005-04-16 (Accounting & Auditing)
- NEP-ALL-2005-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2005-04-16 (Finance)
- NEP-HIS-2005-04-16 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- William N. Goetzmann & Andrey Ukhov & Ning Zhu, 2004. "China and the World Financial Markets 1870-1930:," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm9, Yale School of Management.
- Mario García Molina, 2010. "Crisis Y Diversificación De Los Grupos Empresariales Colombianos A Finales De Los Noventa," DOCUMENTOS DE TRABAJO - ESCUELA DE ECONOMÃA 007571, UN - RCE - CID.
- Yoser Gadhoum, 2006. "Power of Ultimate Controlling Owners: A Survey of Canadian Landscape," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 10(2), pages 179-204, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.