Building A Venture Capital Index
AbstractThis paper builds a venture capital index from 1987 to 1999 that consists of 12,946 rounds of venture financing with 5,643 venture-backed firms. The paper uses two innovative techniques, a re-weighting procedure and a method of moment repeat sales regression, to mitigates three problems - missing data, censored data, and sample selection. We report the time series of capital flows, net asset value, and returns of the venture capital index. We find that the venture capital industry experienced dramatic growth in the sample periods, in terms of capital flows, the number of financing rounds and venture-backed firms, and the net asset value of the index. In addition, the returns to venture capital are high and volatile. The geometric average return is 55.18% per year in the sample periods, with the lowest annual return in 1990 (-5.94%)and the highest in 1999 (681.22%). The venture capital index has much higher volatility than SP 500 and NASDAQ. Moreover, we find significant correlation between the venture capital index and NASDAQ for returns and volatility.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale School of Management in its series Yale School of Management Working Papers with number ysm221.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2001
Date of revision: 01 Oct 2001
Venture Capital; Index Estimation; Repeat Sales Regression; Re-Weighting;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cochrane, John H., 2005.
"The risk and return of venture capital,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 3-52, January.
- John H. Cochrane, 2001. "The Risk and Return of Venture Capital," NBER Working Papers 8066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cochrane, John, 2000. "The Risk and Return of Venture Capital," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt7qm9h594, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Liang Peng, 2001. "A New Approach of Valuing Illiquid Asset Portfolios," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm175, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2001.
- Tobias J. Moskowitz & Annette Vissing-Jorgensen, 2000. "The Private Equity Premium Puzzle," CRSP working papers 524, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Cochrane, John, 2000.
"The Risk and Return of Venture Capital,"
University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management
qt7qm9h594, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Masulis, Ronald W. & Nahata, Rajarishi, 2009. "Financial contracting with strategic investors: Evidence from corporate venture capital backed IPOs," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 599-631, October.
- Cumming, Douglas J. & MacIntosh, Jeffrey G., 2006. "Crowding out private equity: Canadian evidence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 569-609, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.