A Century of Global Stock Markets
AbstractThe expected return on equity capital is possibly the most important driving factor in asset allocation decisions. Yet, the long-term estimates we typically use are derived from U.S. data only. There are reasons to suspect, however, that these estimates of return on capital are subject to survivorship, as the United States is arguably the most successful capitalist system in the world; most other countries have been plagued by political upheaval, war, and financial crises. The purpose of this paper is to provide estimates of return on capital from long-term histories for world equity markets. By putting together a variety of sources, we collected a database of capital appreciation indexes for 39 markets with histories going back as far back as the l920s. Our results are striking. We find that the United States has by far the highest uninterrupted real rate of appreciation of all countries, at about 5 percent annually. For other countries, the median real appreciation rate is about 1.5 percent. The high return premium obtained for U.S. equities therefore appears to be the exception rather than the rule. Our global databases also allow us to reconstruct monthly real and dollar-valued capital appreciation indices for global markets, providing further evidence on the benefits of international diversification.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale School of Management in its series Yale School of Management Working Papers with number ysm16.
Date of creation: 05 Mar 2004
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- William N. Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1997. "A Century of Global Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 5901, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Jorion & William N. Goetzmann, 2000. "A Century of Global Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 7565, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1997. "A Century of Global Stock Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm53, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2000.
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- N2 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-03-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2004-03-22 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-DEV-2004-03-22 (Development)
- NEP-FIN-2004-03-22 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2004-03-22 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-IFN-2004-03-22 (International Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2004-03-22 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1991. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(2), pages 263-86, April.
- William Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1998.
Yale School of Management Working Papers
ysm50, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2000.
- Rietz, Thomas A., 1988. "The equity risk premium a solution," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 117-131, July.
- R. Mehra & E. Prescott, 2010.
"The equity premium: a puzzle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1401, David K. Levine.
- Goetzmann, William N & Jorion, Philippe, 1995.
"A Longer Look at Dividend Yields,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(4), pages 483-508, October.
- Goetzmann, William Nelson, 1993. "Patterns in Three Centuries of Stock Market Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66(2), pages 249-70, April.
- Jobson, J D & Korkie, Bob M, 1981. "Performance Hypothesis Testing with the Sharpe and Treynor Measures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 889-908, September.
- Bansal, Ravi & Coleman, Wilbur John, II, 1996. "A Monetary Explanation of the Equity Premium, Term Premium, and Risk-Free Rate Puzzles," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(6), pages 1135-71, December.
- Gordon M. Bodnar & Bernard Dumas & Richard D. Marston, 2003.
"Cross-Border Valuation: The International Cost of Equity Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
10115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bodnar, Gordon & Dumas, Bernard & Marston, Richard, 2003. "Cross-Border Valuation: The International Cost of Equity Capital," Working Papers 03-3, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Goetzmann, William N. & Jorion, Philippe, 1999.
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(01), pages 1-32, March.
- William N. Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1997. "Re-emerging Markets," NBER Working Papers 5906, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Philippe Jorion & William N. Goetzmann, 1998. "Re-Emerging Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm111, Yale School of Management.
- William Goetzmann & Philippe Jorion, 1998. "Re-emerging Markets," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm50, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Aug 2000.
- Jean-Pierre Danthine & John B. Donaldson & Paolo Siconolfi, 2005.
"Distribution Risk and Equity Returns,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
05.10, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Danthine, Jean-Pierre & Donaldson, John B & Siconolfi, Paolo, 2005. "Distribution Risk and Equity Returns," CEPR Discussion Papers 5425, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jean-Pierre DANTHINE & John B. DONALDSON & Paolo SICONOLFI, 2005. "Distribution Risk and Equity Returns," FAME Research Paper Series rp161, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Alier, Max & Vittas, Dimitri, 2000. "Personal pension plans and stock market volatility," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2463, The World Bank.
- Blake, David & Cairns, Andrew J. G. & Dowd, Kevin, 2001. "Pensionmetrics: stochastic pension plan design and value-at-risk during the accumulation phase," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 187-215, October.
- Costa, Jose Carlos & Mata, Maria Eugenia & Justino, David, 2009. "Portuguese Average Cost Of Capital," FEUNL Working Paper Series wp543, Universidade Nova de Lisboa, Faculdade de Economia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.