Tax-Loss Trading and Wash Sales
AbstractAn analysis of Finnish investors' stock trades shows that they realize losses more than gains towards the end of December. Moreover, they repurchase the same stocks recently sold. The repurchase rate depends on loss magnitude, firm
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale School of Management in its series Yale School of Management Working Papers with number ysm148.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision: 01 Nov 2002
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Grinblatt, 2001.
"What Makes Investors Trade?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 589-616, 04.
- Josef Lakonishok & Andrei Shleifer & Richard Thaler & Robert Vishny, 1991.
"Window Dressing by Pension Fund Managers,"
NBER Working Papers
3617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- David K. Musto, 1999. "Investment Decisions Depend on Portfolio Disclosures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(3), pages 935-952, 06.
- Poterba, James M., 1987. "How burdensome are capital gains taxes?: Evidence from the United States," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 157-172, July.
- James M. Poterba, 2001.
"Capital Gains Tax Rules, Tax-loss Trading, and Turn-of-the-year Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 56(1), pages 353-368, 02.
- James M. Poterba & Scott J. Weisbenner, 1998. "Capital Gains Tax Rules, Tax Loss Trading and Turn-of-the-Year Returns," NBER Working Papers 6616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shefrin, Hersh & Statman, Meir, 1985. " The Disposition to Sell Winners Too Early and Ride Losers Too Long: Theory and Evidence," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(3), pages 777-90, July.
- Kato, Kiyoshi & Schallheim, James S., 1985. "Seasonal and Size Anomalies in the Japanese Stock Market," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 243-260, June.
- Grinblatt, Mark & Keloharju, Matti, 2000. "The investment behavior and performance of various investor types: a study of Finland's unique data set," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 43-67, January.
- Dyl, Edward A, 1977. "Capital Gains Taxation and Year-End Stock Market Behavior," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(1), pages 165-75, March.
- D'Mello, Ranjan & Ferris, Stephen P. & Hwang, Chuan Yang, 2003. "The tax-loss selling hypothesis, market liquidity, and price pressure around the turn-of-the-year," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 73-98, January.
- Amos Tversky & Daniel Kahneman, 1979.
"Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
7656, David K. Levine.
- Kahneman, Daniel & Tversky, Amos, 1979. "Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(2), pages 263-91, March.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Leonard E. Burman & Jonathan Siegel, 1998. "Capital Gains Taxation and Tax Avoidance: New Evidence from Panel Data," NBER Working Papers 6399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- G. Geoffrey Booth & Ji-Chai Lin & Teppo Martikainen & Yiuman Tse, 2002. "Trading and Pricing in Upstairs and Downstairs Stock Markets," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(4), pages 1111-1135.
- Constantinides, George M. & Ingersoll, Jonathan Jr., 1984. "Optimal bond trading with personal taxes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 299-335, September.
- Keim, Donald B., 1983. "Size-related anomalies and stock return seasonality : Further empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 13-32, June.
- Brown, Philip & Keim, Donald B. & Kleidon, Allan W. & Marsh, Terry A., 1983. "Stock return seasonalities and the tax-loss selling hypothesis : Analysis of the arguments and Australian evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 105-127, June.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Chip Heath & Steven Huddart & Mark Lang, 1999. "Psychological Factors And Stock Option Exercise," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(2), pages 601-627, May.
- Ritter, Jay R, 1988. " The Buying and Selling Behavior of Individual Investors at the Turn of the Year," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(3), pages 701-17, July.
- Kaustia, Markku & Rantapuska, Elias, 2012. "Rational and behavioral motives to trade: Evidence from reinvestment of dividends and tender offer proceeds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 2366-2378.
- Kallunki, Juha-Pekka & Nilsson, Henrik & Hellström, Jörgen, 2009. "Why do insiders trade? Evidence based on unique data on Swedish insiders," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 37-53, October.
- Fong, Kingsley Y.L. & Gallagher, David R. & Lau, Sarah S.W. & Swan, Peter L., 2009. "Do active fund managers care about capital gains tax efficiency?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 257-270, April.
- Dai, Qinglei & Rydqvist, Kristian, 2007. "Investigation of the Costly-Arbitrage Model of Price Formation Around the Ex-Dividend Day," CEPR Discussion Papers 6074, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cooper, Michael J. & McConnell, John J. & Ovtchinnikov, Alexei V., 2006. "The other January effect," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 315-341, November.
- Mika Vaihekoski, 2011. "History of financial research and education in Finland," European Journal of Finance, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(5-6), pages 339-354.
- Vaihekoski, Mika, 2008. "History of finance research and education in Finland: The first thirty years," Research Discussion Papers 18/2008, Bank of Finland.
- Rantapuska, Elias, 2008. "Ex-dividend day trading: Who, how, and why?: Evidence from the Finnish market," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 355-374, May.
- Zoran Ivkovich & James Poterba & Scott Weisbenner, 2004.
"Tax-Motivated Trading by Individual Investors,"
NBER Working Papers
10275, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dai, Qinglei & Rydqvist, Kristian, 2009. "Investigation of the costly-arbitrage model of price formation around the ex-dividend day in Norway," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 582-596, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.