Property Derivatives for Managing European Real-Estate Risk
AbstractAlthough property markets represent a large proportion of total wealth in developed countries, the real-estate derivatives markets are still lagging behind in volume of trading and liquidity. Over the last few years there has been increased activity in developing derivative instruments that can be utilised by asset managers. In this paper, we discuss the problems encountered when using property derivatives for managing European real-estate risk. We also consider a special class of structured interest rate swaps that have embedded real-estate risk and propose a more efficient way to tailor these swaps.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Yale School of Management in its series Yale School of Management Working Papers with number amz2652.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2009
Date of revision: 01 Sep 2009
real-estate markets; property derivatives; balance guaranteed swaps;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Case, Karl E & Shiller, Robert J, 1989.
"The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 125-37, March.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1989. "The Efficiency of the Market for Single-Family Homes," NBER Working Papers 2506, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kanak Patel & Ricardo Pereira, 2008. "Pricing Property Index Linked Swaps with Counterparty Default Risk," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 5-21, January.
- Peter ENGLUND & Min HWANG & John M. QUIGLEY, 2000.
"Hedging Housing Risk,"
FAME Research Paper Series
rp26, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Englund, Peter & Hwang, Min & Quigley, John M., 2001. "Hedging Housing Risk," SIFR Research Report Series 2, Institute for Financial Research.
- Englund, Peter & Hwang, Min & Quigley, John M., 2002. "Hedging Housing Risk," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt06t5d6v0, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1992.
"Measuring Asset Values for Cash Settlement in Derivative Markets: Hedonic Repeated Measures Indices and Perpetual Futures,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1036, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Shiller, Robert J, 1993. " Measuring Asset Values for Cash Settlement in Derivative Markets: Hedonic Repeated Measures Indices and Perpetual Futures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(3), pages 911-31, July.
- Robert J. Shiller, 1993. "Measuring Asset Values for Cash Settlement in Derivative Markets: Hedonic Repeated Measures indices and Perpetual Futures," NBER Technical Working Papers 0131, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eduardo Schwartz & James E. Smith, 2000. "Short-Term Variations and Long-Term Dynamics in Commodity Prices," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(7), pages 893-911, July.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1990.
"Forecasting Prices and Excess Returns in the Housing Market,"
NBER Working Papers
3368, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Karl E. Case & Robert J. Shiller, 1990. "Forecasting Prices and Excess Returns in the Housing Market," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 253-273.
- Ciurlia, Pierangelo & Gheno, Andrea, 2008. "A model for pricing real estate derivatives with stochastic interest rates," MPRA Paper 9924, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Eric Ghysels & Alberto Plazzi & Rossen Valkanov, 2007. "Valuation in US Commercial Real Estate," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(3), pages 472-497.
- Robert J. Shiller & Allan N. Weiss, 1994.
"Home Equity Insurance,"
NBER Working Papers
4830, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christoph Hinkelmann & Steve Swidler, 2008. "Trading House Price Risk with Existing Futures Contracts," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 37-52, January.
- Björk, Tomas & Clapham, Eric, 2002. "A Note on the Pricing of Real Estate Index Linked Swaps," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 492, Stockholm School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.