Redistribution Through the Income Tax: The Vertical and Horizontal Effects of Noncompliance and Tax Evasion
AbstractThis paper uses the unique Taxpayer Compliance Measurement Program (TCMP) micro data to study the equity effects of noncompliance. We access four years of TCMP data, 1979,1982,1985, and 1988. The TCMP data allows us to observe income and taxes before and after a tax audit. In order to generate a range of scalar estimates of the redistributive impact of more complete compliance we employ the family of extended Gini and concentration coefficients. We find that the vertical equity effects are very small of negative; however, there is a considerable amount of horizontal inequity generated by noncompliance and in this sense more complete auditing of tax returns could improve the fairness of the tax system
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of York in its series Discussion Papers with number 99/13.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1999-10-28 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-1999-10-28 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-PBE-1999-10-28 (Public Economics)
- NEP-PUB-1999-10-28 (Public Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- DUCLOS, Jean-Yves, 1994.
"Progressivity, Redistribution and Equity, with Application to the British Tax and Benefit System,"
Cahiers de recherche
9403, Université Laval - Département d'économique.
- Duclos, Jean-Yves, 1993. "Progressivity, Redistribution, and Equity, with Application to the British Tax and Benefit System," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 48(3), pages 350-65.
- Aronson, J Richard & Johnson, Paul & Lambert, Peter J, 1994. "Redistributive Effects and Unequal Income Tax Treatment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 262-70, March.
- Plotnick, Robert, 1981. "A Measure of Horizontal Inequity," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 283-88, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.