The Evolution of Consistent Conjectures
AbstractIn this paper we model the evolution of conjectures in an economy consisting of a large number of firms which meet in duopolies. The duopoly game is modelled by the conjectural variation (CV) model. An evolutionary process leads to more profitable conjectures becoming more common (payoff monotone dynamics). Under payoff monotonic dynamics, convergence occurs to a small set of serially undominated strategies containing the consistent onjecture. This set can be made arbitrarily small by appropriate choice f the strategy set. If the game is dominance solvable, then the dynamics converges globally to the unique attractor.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of York in its series Discussion Papers with number 01/16.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Boyer, Marcel & Moreaux, Michel, 1983.
"Consistent versus Non-Consistent Conjectures in Doupoly Theory: Some Examples,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(1), pages 97-110, September.
- BOYER, Marcel & MOREAUX, Michel, . "Consistent versus non-consistent conjectures in duopoly theory: some examples," CORE Discussion Papers RP -544, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boyer, M. & Moreaux, M., 1982. "Consistent Versus Non-Consistent Conjectures in Duopoly Theory: Some Examples," Cahiers de recherche 8206, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Driskill, Robert A. & McCafferty, Stephen, 1989. "Dynamic duopoly with adjustment costs: A differential game approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 324-338, December.
- Morton I. Kamien & Nancy L. Schwartz, 1983. "Conjectural Variations," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 16(2), pages 191-211, May.
- Lindh, Thomas, 1992.
"The inconsistency of consistent conjectures : Coming back to Cournot,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 69-90, June.
- Lindh, T., 1988. "The Inconsistency Of Consistent Conjectures: Coming Back To Cournot," Papers 1988d, Uppsala - Working Paper Series.
- Samuelson, Larry & Zhang, Jianbo, 1992. "Evolutionary stability in asymmetric games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 363-391, August.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F, 1981. "Duopoly Models with Consistent Conjectures," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(5), pages 934-45, December.
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1987. "A theory of dynamic oligopoly, III : Cournot competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 947-968, June.
- Dockner, Engelbert J, 1992. "A Dynamic Theory of Conjectural Variations," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 377-95, December.
- Cabral, Luis M. B., 1995. "Conjectural variations as a reduced form," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 49(4), pages 397-402, October.
- Ulph, David, 1983. "Rational conjectures in the theory of oligopoly," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 131-154, June.
- Reynolds, Stanley S, 1987. "Capacity Investment, Preemption and Commitment in an Infinite Horizon Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(1), pages 69-88, February.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Kamien, Morton I, 1987. "Dynamic Duopolistic Competition with Sticky Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1151-64, September.
- Nachbar, J H, 1990. ""Evolutionary" Selection Dynamics in Games: Convergence and Limit Properties," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 59-89.
- Possajennikov, Alex, 2009. "The evolutionary stability of constant consistent conjectures," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 21-29, October.
- Nicolas Quérou & Mabel Tidball, 2009. "Consistent Conjectures in a Dynamic Model of Non-renewable Resource Management," Working Papers 09-28, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Dec 2009.
- Paulo Brito & Bipasa Datta & Huw Dixon, 2012. "The evolution of the mixed conjectures in the rent-extraction game," Discussion Papers 12/33, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Hovhannisyan, Vardges & Stiegert, Kyle W. & Bozic, Marin, 2013. "On Endogeneity Of Retail Market Power In An Equilibrium Analysis: A Control Function Approach," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 149830, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Victor Tremblay, 2009. "Introduction: Economic Issues in Sports," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 1-4, February.
- Hovhannisyan, Vardges & Bozic, Marin, 2013. "A Benefit-Function Approach to Studying Market Power: An Application to the U.S. Yogurt Market," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(2), August.
- Alex Possajennikov, . "Conjectural Variations in Aggregative Games: An Evolutionary Perspective," Discussion Papers 12/04, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
- Alex Possajennikov, 2004. "Evolutionary Stability of Constant Consistent Conjectures," Game Theory and Information 0405009, EconWPA.
- Durevall, Dick, 2007. "Demand for coffee in Sweden: The role of prices, preferences and market power," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(5-6), pages 566-584.
- Anglin, Paul, 2008. "On the proper behavior of atoms: A comment on a critique," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(1), pages 277-280.
- Anonymous & Bosch, Darrell J., 2013. "Table of contents," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 45(02), May.
- Conjectural variation in Wikipedia (English)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.